Forum Users Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a Schneider 7 1/2" bandsaw SCH190 since January 2007, which I've used quite extensively. I've found the casing to be a bit tinny and the table needed truing up when I first got it but all in all, for the money and for what I use it for (I'm a hobbyist/DIY user) has stood me in good stead.

The problem is that, at the weekend when I'd just fitted it to the cabinet I'd spent weeks making for it (and my drill press) I reached across it (my workshop is only 12' x 8' and used to be my garden shed so there's not much room) my foot slipped; the only think I could grab hold of to stop myself disappearing into my waste wood bin was the bandsaw tilt table. Unfortunately, this resulted in the bracket holding the tilt table to the bandsaw breaking.

I've contacted my original supplier for a replacement but they've stopped trading and Schneider has also. So if anyone could help point me in the direction where I can obtain a replacement bracket I'd be very grateful.

Only just noticed this thread!

Startrite 352 - single phase ex education. One of the old ones with the NVR built into the column. I've had this for over three years now.

I use Dure Edge blades excellent blades and an excellent machine. If I had to replace it I would get another one.

Misterfish

I have the Startrite 351 its too old to have the NVR switch but i will be changing that at some point its a very strong well built saw that has cut every thing i have thrown at it up to now. paid £388 for it off ebay

Just got a Record 350 bandsaw. A good fit for my current space/budget constraints. It's just developed an issue, but their customer service has been excellent.

Hi all, new here so I'll keep it short..

Electra Beckum 316G

Had it now for a little over 4 years, had a devil of a job setting the fence to run parallel to the blade, ditched it in the end and use a straight edge clamp instead. Its used most days and other than a new blade every now and then has given me many a happy hours use. Thou that said the replacement capacitor for the motor should be arriving tommorrow.

I have an Axminster SBW 4300...

I have had the saw about 10 months I think and I love It, tracks beautifully and easily cuts 8 inch 2mm veneers, great bit of kit.

By the way welcome to the mad house Skywriter... :wink:

I HAVE A DEWALT DW738 BANDSAW AND AM WELL HAPPY WITH IT BEEN CUTTING A GOOD FEW PIECES OFF OAK AND ASH OVER LAST COUPLE OFF DAYS WITH AND NO PROBS CUTS VERY ACCURATLEY

Axminster SBW 4300.

My third bandsaw to date.

A little dewalt/elu, then a Basato 3 now this.
Very heavy :roll: Seems to cut through anything. definitely the best one I've had. :tool:

DSC_2057-1.jpg
DSC_2055-1.jpg
Blade's a bit scary though :shock:
John. B

Having spent some time pondering the purchase of a bandsaw I settled for the SIP 14" heavy Duty model. Ordered it on Monday from a local equipment store and it arrived on Wednesday (not bad given I live in the North East of Scotland). Although the shop manager said it was in two boxes in the back store, although when I picked it up it was bolted to a wooden base and came with one cardboard box with various other packages. Still it all fitted into the back of the estate car, and my son and I could easily lift it out and into the shed.
new%20bandsaw2.jpg

I managed to get the base assembled (I think) and bolted on to the main frame. Was a bit disappointed to see an area of blistered paint which was peeling due to rust beneath.

rust.jpg

Not the sort of thing you want to find on day one.
Still the rest went together okay it came with this big one inch 6tpi blade

blade.jpg

The fence fitter easily and moves with the help of a gear and locks with a lever.

fence.jpg

A simple measure with a steel rule showed the fence running about one 8th of an inch out when measured at the edge of the table and the blade. this was adjusted by slackening off the 4 allen screws and moving the fence.

fence%20adjustment.jpg

The guides seem easy enough to adjust although the right hand front guide stopped well short of the blade, and needs some more of the elongation cutting out.

guides.jpg

The tension indicator is a bit of a joke as the blade would fall off it was tightened to where it suggests.

tension%20indicator.jpg

The blade seems to wander forward and backwards, not quite sure if this is normal or is a result of the wheels being out of alignment.

The blade sits central on the top wheel (thanks to the tracking control)

top%20wheel.jpg

But is well forward on the lower wheel.

lower%20wheel.jpg

bandsaw3.jpg

Sent the above photos to SIP and they asked for the machine to be sent back under warranty. Got it back yesterday and all the problems appear to have been fixed, and they threw in another blade for free.

I have had my Startrite 352 for 12 years. I bought it second hand for £800. It cuts nearly 12" thick material. Plenty of guitar bodies, bowl blanks. Trees for converting into bowls and planks for more guitar bodies. A poor fence, but it works. Really accurate and fairly quiet in operation. I have just replaced the switchgear. The guides look crude but they work really well.

Bought an Axminster AWSBS2 today, only test cuts made but seems a little beauty, (with "Axcaliber" blade fitted), although fence is absolute garbage, will be finding out about fitting an after-market upgrade.
pip

Hey there,

I've recently got a Record BS500. I haven't got much chance to use it yet and I'm still on the record blade while getting used to the machine. I'm having a problem with the tracking but I'm sure I can resolve that.

I'm a little curious as to why no-one else has one. Is this machine supposed to be a dud? Too late for me now but I'll keep anyone interested informed.

Eoin

Recently acquired a second-hand Startrite 401E (230v) as a significant upgrade from my 12" SIP 01486 bandsaw. 8)

Back