Forum Users Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi chaps, thought i'd post something here instead of creating a new thread. I noticed most if not all of you have band saws, and I had a cheap b&d saw until recently, but its bitten the dust and now I need a new one. I use it for cutting balsa, lite ply, and the occasional 2" x 2". I'd like a mitre guide, and one with bearings as guides, not plastic blocks like my old b&d band saw. Budget ideally ~£150-£175

After reading a significant amount of reviews I have come to the conclusion that any of the following saws will do nicely...

- Scheppach Basa 1 195mm (Screwfix - 179.99) - I know this is 10", but the cheaper Scheppach from Screwfix doesn't have a mitre guide.
- Axminster HBS205 (Around 159.99)
- Charnwood W711 (149.99)

I am aware that there are plenty of other 200mm band saws available from the UK, but most if not all have quite bad reviews on Amazon/machine mart. It seems that there is no stock in the UK of any of the above saws at the moment, are they all just the same saw re branded?! Does anyone know or can anyone recommend a saw of this size that is in stock?

Thanks in advance :)

I bought the Scheppach Basa 3 Vario from D&M tools (brilliant service by the way). It has a 205mm capacity and ticks all the boxes and more for my hobby workshop. Also, it has a wheel set and a handle you pull out from under the thing to move it around.

The ability to move the thing around my workshop was a huge selling point, as it allows you to stick the thing away out the road when not in use. Although I didn't realise the bigger Vario 4 has a wheel base option also, but in hindsight I'm glad I didn't go for the 4 due to the extra bulk.

The thing was easy enough to set up and is precisely and solidly made (Germans for you). I didn't have to do much blade setting other than down at the table end as it was sitting true on the wheels. I bought it along with the Precisa 4 table saw (love it) which was an absolute nightmare to set up as the instructions were so poorly laid out and the translation was horrendous (told Scheppach).

Cuts really well with the blade that came with it (not bought a decent blade/s for the thing yet). Cuts straight and true - although a little fettling and blade truing had to be done with the table. Dust collection ok so far, but I've not stood at the thing all day to see if there's any build up that needs clearing.

Will update this review in a few months time when I've given the thing a good hammering.

Jonny

I have a Record BS500. It's about 8 years old now and came with a 5 year guarantee . The supplied blade was a joke but was discarded after short use. It's had two replacement NVR switches, a motor capacitor, and a new cast table support/ tilt mechanism. The original was thin pressed steel and failed after being tilted about four times. It works well enough now and I will be hanging on to it. The after sales service was absolutely superb, parts arrived in very quick time after a phone call to knowledgable staff. I regard it as value assuming that you can fit your own replacement parts. Hopefully later models are built to an improved standard.

Record Power BS400, had it just over a week, so far its bloody brilliant & i dont have my new blades yet, struggling on with the stock blade.

E.V.Beronius Mekaniska Verkstad
Model B20 they say. With 24" wheels.
Most likely manufactured in the 1910-s.

I converted it from line shaft to motor driven and fitted it with all modern guards and roller guides. Everything to modern standards.
The result is a mighty good professional-grade bandsaw at rather low cost.

Attachments

• m1.JPG
    m1.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,178
giantbeat":322zgfnt said:
Record Power BS400, had it just over a week, so far its bloody brilliant & i dont have my new blades yet, struggling on with the stock blade.

You'll love it, I have the same one and so pleased I chose that model.
Hope you have ordered your Tuffsaw blades and are starting to get to grips with tuning and getting it to run well. If you need any help, just shout and it is available.

Malcolm

This is my old beast. Picked her up for £200 but spent a few bob on some quality guides and fence. It came with an appalling metal housing that can't have been the work of Wadkin and required 16 bolts to be undone to change the blade! Striped this all off and made a wooden housing that at least pays lip service to the lovely curves of the cast iron frame.

Attachments

• DSC03571.jpg
    DSC03571.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,276
  • DSC03574.JPG
    DSC03574.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,276
  • DSC03578.JPG
    DSC03578.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 2,274
  • DSC03582.jpg
    DSC03582.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,274
Alexam":2gesiqh9 said:
That looks good Beau.

It is Alex :D

It's true when they say they don't make them like they used to. Prior to this I had a pretty expensive Italian machine. The table was not flat, the frame would noticeably flex when tensioning larger blades, poor guides etc. No such issues with this beauty. The table alone was nearly as heavy as my previous machine and as flat as a pancake. The transit we brought it back in was pointing at the sky on the return trip so might have been a touch overloaded :roll:

Back