Forum Users Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTR":af2p6qv6 said:
Does anyone have any experience with a Record RPBS8? There's one for sale locally for £60. I cannot find much offical info online but there's one on ebay here (that's not the one I'm looking at buying). Based on the specs I think it is a repackaged version of one of these, there seems to be a few versions about.

I mainly use hand tools but I could do with a small bandsaw for resawing and light ripping. As I understand it a new Tuffsaw blade is recommended.
Dave, be aware that it is very small. If you've not seen one for real I suggest you do before buying. I've had the Delta model (same thing) for 10-12 years and it's given admirable service for small work but it's quite limited for resawing or ripping. Incidental, the Axminster Small Bandsaw Rip Fence fits beautifully and is a very worthwhile upgrade. I keep mine as it more handy and accurate for some small stuff than my bigger bandsaw.

devonwoody and RogerP, thank you kindly for your advice, very much appreciated. I have seen an equivalent model in the flesh and I agree it is very small. I'm not sure how much I'll use it though and my space for storage is rather small. For £60 I'm tempted to take the gamble. Food for thought...

My old Record rsbs12 I gather is now on a mobile base (home made) because the new user had space problems , so perhaps you could go larger if you have a parking space.

Scheppach Basato 3h vario.
Excellent machine. I researched quite a bit before I got it. I considered the Record power of similar size but it was more money for less power, looked at Jet too but the Scheppach was a good price at D and M with free wheely stand, so I took the plunge.
I have found it brilliant, doing everything asked of it. Tried out several blades but now I just leave the 6 tooth quarter inch blade in it for everything.
Just a note on the set up which I found a bit tricky having to do quite a lot of initial assembly, however once set up right it is rock solid and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Another Scheppach 3H Vario. Hated it until I got Steves dvds as the setup is a little fiddly but once tuned up has proved pretty good. Just added two very nice blades from Tuffsaws which have transformed it.

I took delivery of the Axi 400N about three weeks ago. Never having had a band saw before I have no way of comparing it, or knowing if it is good or bad, But I love it and use it for almost everything.

My one is now 12 months old and gets most of the ripping duties in my setup.

Grahamshed, Did you get any blades from Tuff Saws, their Super Fast thin blade of 3/4" is still in use at the year for me.

devonwoody":ko7htxke said:
Grahamshed, Did you get any blades from Tuff Saws, their Super Fast thin blade of 3/4" is still in use at the year for me.

Not yet, the saw came with a free Axi blade as well as the one on the saw. This, to mu inexperienced eye, seems ok but I intend to get a 1/4 inch shaping blade and another 'ordinary' blade from teffsaws when I get a round tuit.

I had some problem with the mobile base I also purchased for the saw, the lower door would not open when on the mobile stand and I had to pack it up with some 18mm ply.
Also I have to empty the lower cabinet of sawdust regularly, it builds up over the electric door swithch otherwise. I could do with a dedicated dust extractor on the machine but space is the usual problem (plus cost)

I put mine on a trolley ( an old piece of worktop with 4 inch castors ) it makes the saw table a bit high but with eyesight like mine that is a good thing.

The dust problem was apparent the first time I used it and extraction made very little difference to piles of dust getting on the switch so I made a flat box ( idea from UKW post ) to go under the table attached at the side to the table tilt support bolts. Hole on top to match the hole in the table, slot for the blade, hole at the end for extractor fitting and it works great. No dust anywhere.

I was afraid you would say that. I should have taken pics at the time but I was not convinced it would work so used scraps etc so it aint pretty. I will take the saw apart and take pics if needed but in the meantime picture this. I made a flat box about 4 inches wide by 8 inches long by 1 inch deep ( it was a cut up length of 18mm X 10mm wood for the sides with a cut up melamine tea tray for the top and bottom ) The top sticks out the side of the box by about 2 inches to form a lip which had two holes drilled in it to take the bolts that hold the table to the tilt semicircle so it sits up tight to the bottom of the table. then I cut a 63mm hole in top to correspond with the hole in the table that the blade goes through and a slot in the box from the side into the hole so that the blade could be threaded through. At the other end of the box I drilled a 63mm hole in the bottom where the extracor fitting fits. Dust falls through the holes in the plastic circle surrounding the blade into the box and is sucked along the box to the extractor....

This all sounds rubbish when rereading. I will try and take pics later today when I finish reroofing the shed :)

I am getting the general idea, so dont worry about pics at the moment.

Reroofing the shed, ah. I have got 20ft + 10ft +9ft of roofing felt and I was going to double up the felt on my roof but cried off yesterday. You could have had the felt as a gift, I am clearing out my workshop at the moment.

devonwoody":i5ldef6n said:
I am getting the general idea, so dont worry about pics at the moment.

Reroofing the shed, ah. I have got 20ft + 10ft +9ft of roofing felt and I was going to double up the felt on my roof but cried off yesterday. You could have had the felt as a gift, I am clearing out my workshop at the moment.

I did felt when I built the shed (8meter X 6 meter ) 12 years ago but it now leaked. I have replaced it with a single piece of EPDM rubber.

Unrelated to felting sheds...

I own a little Inca 340 bandsaw. It has a small footprint and is limited due to it's physical size but seems to do all I need it to. Probably the best little bandsaw you can get. It's a shame they are not in production anymore.

Paul.

Charnwood W730

Not the strongest or the most precision made bandsaw out there but a very high specification for the money (unbeatable IMHO) and better made than I was expecting when I bought it.
With a bit of tweaking I've got it set up quite nicely and I've cut 8" thick beech with the supplied blade.

Overall I'm quite impressed and would definitely buy it again.

Axminster plus 4300, now part of the industrial range I believe.

Excellent bit of kit, cant speak highly enough of it. That said, nothing to compare it to, although it does everything that I expect it to- deep ripping of bg stock, cutting veneers etc.

Just bought my very first bandsaw.

Not the highest spec machine but it will do what I need it too for the next few years.

A Charnwood W720 - second hand

Also just bought two new blades as recommended from many on here from Tuff Saws. Very informative guy.

*update - Tuff Saw blades arrived and put them on bandsaw, oh wow! the difference is unreal. (and I thought it cut ok before)

Back