Forum Users Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's normally plenty of adjustment on the rail that the fence goes on 13mm spanner is all you need, comes with the saw.

I was making absolutely certain that the new blade from Tuffsaws was fitted with no interference from the top or more importantly the bottom guides. I have neck trouble and find it hard to get down to see the lower guides
The saw blade that came with the bandsaw had definite drift towards the fence. no matter what i did with fence or guides, I know I know-- before you tell me again about Tuffsaws !!! re the blade that comes with new saws!!!
The reason for removing the table TO MAKE sure the guides were set correctly not to change the BLADE Once I had replaced the table I had the 5/8 blade replaced replaced checked the FENCE and MITRE SLOTS were at 90 degrees to the blade
Now what I was trying to EXPLAIN was the fact that I could only get the table square to the FENCE and MITRE SLOTS by forcing the table against the holding 8 mm holding set screws. --- no not hex bolts as shown in the instruction booklet that came with the bandsaw.
Tools that came with the saw did not include a 13mm spanner but 3 allen keys only.
As stated in my previous post the saw cuts very accurate now, My other point that I was trying to make is that the table and trunnion are at the limit of travel in one of it's directions.
And another point I was trying to make is ___ be careful not to NULLIFY your guarantee by doing alterations that are not approved by RECORD
I intend to write Record now.
Hope I have explained it better now, sorry if it has been a bit long winded
Regards
Richard

Alexam":pfkx3uyf said:
I do hate to hear these stories of bad service from any supplier. It is such a shame that you didn't claim under guarantee and get it replaced or a refund. However, when you undertake your own repairs, the guarantee is not worth anything. Hope you have better service from future suppliers, but Fox does seem to have a reputation for reported problems.

I did try, but couldn't get past the receptionist at FOX. Poolewood tried to help but again after just a week or less refused to take it back even with me offering to pay the difference for a Record 400

So with no support and a piece of inactive junk I had no other recourse but to find and order the spare bearings myself off the net. Eventually I hope to fix it properly. ATM I am in two minds, the skip or lots of fabrication.

It is taking up space and the only use I can find for it is sometimes for cutting small amounts of kindling which is less than one inch thick in wood that wont split.

timber":3icui48z said:
I was making absolutely certain that the new blade from Tuffsaws was fitted with no interference from the top or more importantly the bottom guides. I have neck trouble and find it hard to get down to see the lower guides
The saw blade that came with the bandsaw had definite drift towards the fence. no matter what i did with fence or guides, I know I know-- before you tell me again about Tuffsaws !!! re the blade that comes with new saws!!!
The reason for removing the table TO MAKE sure the guides were set correctly not to change the BLADE Once I had replaced the table I had the 5/8 blade replaced replaced checked the FENCE and MITRE SLOTS were at 90 degrees to the blade
Now what I was trying to EXPLAIN was the fact that I could only get the table square to the FENCE and MITRE SLOTS by forcing the table against the holding 8 mm holding set screws. --- no not hex bolts as shown in the instruction booklet that came with the bandsaw.
Tools that came with the saw did not include a 13mm spanner but 3 allen keys only.
As stated in my previous post the saw cuts very accurate now, My other point that I was trying to make is that the table and trunnion are at the limit of travel in one of it's directions.
And another point I was trying to make is ___ be careful not to NULLIFY your guarantee by doing alterations that are not approved by RECORD
I intend to write Record now.
Hope I have explained it better now, sorry if it has been a bit long winded
Regards
Richard

OK, understood now Richard. It is a problem having to get down to see the lower guides clearly. I have a flashlight to hand, but it still takes time to ensure all is as it should be.

Record are very good with their after care and if it is not right, they will usually be able to fix it or replace it, so get it checked out if you are not sure on anything. Keep us updated with progress and good luck.

woodfarmer":2s8lwlau said:
Alexam":2s8lwlau said:
I do hate to hear these stories of bad service from any supplier. It is such a shame that you didn't claim under guarantee and get it replaced or a refund. However, when you undertake your own repairs, the guarantee is not worth anything. Hope you have better service from future suppliers, but Fox does seem to have a reputation for reported problems.

I did try, but couldn't get past the receptionist at FOX. Poolewood tried to help but again after just a week or less refused to take it back even with me offering to pay the difference for a Record 400

So with no support and a piece of inactive junk I had no other recourse but to find and order the spare bearings myself off the net. Eventually I hope to fix it properly. ATM I am in two minds, the skip or lots of fabrication.

It is taking up space and the only use I can find for it is sometimes for cutting small amounts of kindling which is less than one inch thick in wood that wont split.

That's not at all fair, or business like. THey have a duty to repair or replace and you have certain rights, which seem to have been ignored. SHAME on the supplier.

Yeah...nice work Fox...hack off a bloke who reports how useless you are on the UK's biggest woodworking forum....smart marketing there! Bright people in your boardroom for sure! I mean, there's no one else here who might ever be in the market for a bandsaw again right??

Woodfarmer has my sympathy!! I too made the grave mistake of purchasing (or trying to purchase) a 'Fox' F28-186 bandsaw (approx. £300) from Poolewood early last year. Never again!

I was forced to reject the three that were delivered....they were absolute rubbish. Everything from broken parts to wildly misaligned fabrication....so much so that it was impossible to set the blade guides once, move the guide assembly half and inch up or down and the guides would jam the blade.

Serracon (who I believe are the importer?) were actually quite good and tried to provide a good 'un but without success...the final one I received had been checked before dispatch and looked okay setup wise, then sulked before refusing to even entertain 2" softwood (with believe it or not, a tuff saw blade).....then the blade tension knob fell off.

Poolewood were 'less than helpful'...nuff said.

Weeks of nightmare, never to be repeated!

Purchased a secondhand Record Power Drill master DMB 65 added to this by purchasing 2 Tuffsaw blades from Ian. Cuts thru anything I have given it.

I now have a bs400 bandsaw, its seems to have the most power/capacity before you start having to go up to the 16amp power supply.

For me it's working great. With the right blade i've been resawing hard maple up to about 24cm with very near uniform thickness probably .2-4 mm variation which could be improved with a better fence, the one I made has a little give at its top.

I bought from dm tools who were easy to deal with and when I had to replace a part, which was a cast aluminium part of the upper guide bearing b&s contacted record and within the same day had a phone call checking my address so they could send the part. It seems the only part of the bandsaw made with cast aluminium which seems a brittle material, its a slight let down but it seems you just have not not tighten the hex screw too much.

Mitre fence is pretty much a piece of rubbish, i'm not sure why it's so hard for manufactures to make the runner bars not have loads of play in. But I expected to have to make my own or upgrade if i ever want to use one.

The bandsaw was my first heavier piece of machinery. I used a car jack to get it onto old laminated panels which allowed me to slide it easily into location, I did have the help of one person but if I really had to could of done it myself. With a truck thingy and if the pathway didn't have any steps across doors it would have been even easier.

I have a lovely old Coronet Imp (from a kindly gent on this forum) that is now working well. Unfortunately I've already broken the blade it came with although its replacements are already on their way from Ian at Tuffsaws....

Just moved my Rexon BS2301A in to the workshop. First time it's been in its proper place rather than any empty floor space in the house.

Surprisingly good little saw. I'm sure that a more pricey model would be a revelation to me, but for cutting turning blanks within its (very limited) capacity, it does a great job. Fitted with a tuffsaws (or currently Axminster which does the job but not as well) it handles everything I throw at it.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

One thing you keep seeing repeated on the post is Tuffsaws for blades and have to agree with everyone on here.... brilliant.
Tuffsaws.....The Serial Killers Choice or maybe 9 out of 10 Serial Killers can't be wrong and buy Tuffsaws lol 9-)

Thumbs up for Record, order was misplaced by agent, called Record on Thursday, they spoke to agent, Record called me back to say they have arranged a delivery for Friday.
Arrived about 14.00 hrs on its side strapped to an alloy pallett (never seen one before). Made up the wheel frame, lifted the base up on blocks, bolted frame to machine and two of us managed to stand the machine upright. (it really needs two people for this). Just had my first go with it and very, very pleased....bb

Hi there

I bought a second hand Ryobi cast iron bandsaw. The model is RBS3080 pro, there's very little online about it... I really wanted a cast iron table and I found this on eBay for a very good price and snatched it up. The tool suffers from the same curse of a lot of 'cheap' tools: some great features, some not so great features, and then some completely inexplicably bad ones. For example: table is great, flat and solid cast iron; fence is great, nice and sturdy. upper guides are bearings, which is great, but they are abysmal to set up; lower ones are just run of the mill metal blocks. The tilt mechanism is horrible and for whatever reason the little latch that locks the bottom door doesn't actually engage the side panel so in order to close the bottom door I have to tape it up.
All in all I am happy with it, especially cos I paid the price of a tin top one. Once fitted with tuff saws blades it cuts marvelously.

Cheers
A

After all the excellent reviews and comments I tried to purchase a Record BS400, but Yandles said delivery would be via 16 tonne HGV of even a 40' trailer, so couldn't go with that as last 1/2 mile to house is only readily accessible by 7.5 tonne.

Ordered a Jet JWBS16 which had £200 off at the time from Axminster(at full price I would have bought the Record and hired a van to collect from Martock), delivered within 18 hours as their HGV lorry was passing home home next morning.

A really well made machine, possibly a better build quality than Record, but I was more than happy with the Record's build. Only cut up to 6" resawing as of yet, but it didn't break a sweat. The blade supplied was as sharp as a piece of rope and was probably only there to make the cast iron wheels secure in transit. I now have a set of Tuffsaw blades and a proper dust extraction system hooked up and must say I am well pleased with it. Cutting 3mm accurate slices off the 6x2 to make 6" x 3mm boards for wall mounted tea bag dispensers. This will certainly be the last bandsaw I will ever need to purchase.

Phil

Lower the tone a bit :shock: I had a bandsaw given me a few years ago, I went through it and sorted it. its a Dewalt/BD 13/10
the only bandsaw i've ever had or worked with, :) I like it. (hammer)

Latest posts

Back