Finish for MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerbie

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read the recent thread for the primer finish on MDF, and you all seem to be spraying?

I am on the start line for a kitchen build which will be faced using MDF which I want to paint finish. However, being in the middle of nowhere, France, it is not easy finding the products for this finish.

I had intended sealing the MDF as per the thread, with a thinned PVA coat, brushed on, and as I wanted a matt finish, would have really liked to use water based eggshell (used it on a kitchen in UK, gave me the 'look' I was after) but this is proving difficult to locate.

Should I really be throwing out the brush and looking for a (cheap) spray unit?
Bearing in mind the finish I am looking for, can anyone recommend a paint to give a matt finish that I might find over here?

regards

I've done a lot of painted MDF, I prime with a waterbased primer/undercoat usually Dulux, second coat of the same then two coats of oil based eggshell which I find much easier to apply than the Waterbased which tends to drag.

Rub down the first coat with 180g then for the remaining coats. I don't use a separate sealer for the edges.

Also get decent MDF preferably Moisture resistant as it finishes better on cut and moulded edges

Jason

jasonB":3ls9btnv said:
I've done a lot of painted MDF, I prime with a waterbased primer/undercoat usually Dulux, second coat of the same then two coats of oil based eggshell which I find much easier to apply than the Waterbased which tends to drag.

Rub down the first coat with 180g then for the remaining coats. I don't use a separate sealer for the edges.

Also get decent MDF preferably Moisture resistant as it finishes better on cut and moulded edges

Jason

Do you not find that the oil based paint drying time compromises your work flow though?

Cheers

Tim

Its a bit slower about 4-6hrs for the eggshell before it can be recoated depending on temp etc. I just plan my work around it - maybe painting a second coat in the evening or over a weekend.

It is worth it for the better finish as the oil base tends to self level, I do larger areas with a foam mini roller and lay it off with a brush.

Jason

Back