Matt Finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread on satin finishes, how about matt? I do a fair bit of woodturning and normally use oils, waxes and occasionally lacquer depending on what it will be used for. The result is either high polish or satin or something in between. Recently I've come across some pieces (one group in an upmarket shop, another in an art gallery) which have some texturing and a low build matt finish. Almost as though there is no finish at all, but there is, to defend against general grubbiness that you woud get if unfinished wood is handled. With some designs it looks really good.

What's the best way to achieve that matt look? I guess sanding to 240 or 320 then a matt varnish of some kind would do it - any other thoughts or recommendations?

I have used matt lacquer in the past though I'm not sure it's something I would use on a regular basis. One of the downsides - if one can call it that - is that the object doesn't look like it's been finished. giving rise to the annoying question " What are you going to finish it with? :giggle:
I also wasn't fully confident that it would stop water getting to the wood below. Unless, of course, I applied a gloss first, before top coat of matt.

Back