Festool Prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone also noticed that from time to time when an offer arrives from Axminster for a little discount Festool products are always excluded.

Perhaps even the mighty Axminster are not allowed to discount Festool products?

I just think it's a big con that's all. My local dealer seems happy to give me a big discount on Dewalt, Makita or bosch and he gives me 20% off the catalogue prices on Trend stuff but on the Festool stuff he says he can't. Would if he cound sort of thing. I's sure there are some dealers prepared to give a little as long as you keep it to yourself but that's the point about it being uncompetative behaviour. I think I'll go in at a quiet time, usually lunch time and ask again on the sly but I shouldn't have to. Just get the feeling that I'm not going to get anywhere on this one. :cry:

I get festool gear for the minimum they are allowed to sell it for. Festool supposedly have a very strict policy on minimum sale price, and discounts are out of the question. My dealer said, as was mentioned previously: "If we get caught selling Festool gear for below these (catalogue list) prices, we could lose our dealership status"

I did get a good price in comparison to every online dealer I have looked at though.

I've also wondered how Festool can manage to get round the price fixing thing and would also be interested in how the office of fair trade look at them. If several of us made contact would this have more of an impact?

My local dealer also says he can't discount Festool but will throw in other freebies to help things along, their way round the problem, but it doesn't sound right to me.

I have several Festool items, but do wonder if the newer ones are as well made as the old ones. My Kapex has had several problems, the latest being a plastic piece that has broken that is just not up to the job it is mean't for. I've now got to go back to TTS again to get it fixed, getting to be a bit of a pain. Apparently the gears in the cordless drills are plastic, as they are in the new Rotex. Doesn't sound like they are made to last for the next 20 years.
Their tools are well designed and make life so much easier, but I hope they don't go down the route of trying to cut costs and so lose the quality they are known for.

hpl":ptue36zu said:
I've also wondered how Festool can manage to get round the price fixing thing and would also be interested in how the office of fair trade look at them. If several of us made contact would this have more of an impact?
Yes that would

My local dealer also says he can't discount Festool but will throw in other freebies to help things along, their way round the problem, but it doesn't sound right to me.

I have several Festool items, but do wonder if the newer ones are as well made as the old ones. My Kapex has had several problems, the latest being a plastic piece that has broken that is just not up to the job it is mean't for. I've now got to go back to TTS again to get it fixed, getting to be a bit of a pain. Apparently the gears in the cordless drills are plastic, as they are in the new Rotex. Doesn't sound like they are made to last for the next 20 years.
Their tools are well designed and make life so much easier, but I hope they don't go down the route of trying to cut costs and so lose the quality they are known for.

A plastic or composite part can be much tougher and less prone to wear then if it was made of some metals. Besides material choice the tlerances an balance (for rotating parts) also plays huge part in wear and tear.

The plastic part has still broken though, and it is part of the mechanism that locks the side to side angle adjustment, so not getting a lot of wear and tear, just has pressure on it whenever it is in the unlock position. To me it us just not man enough for the job. I'm sure that TTS will fix it. Still like the saw though as it is the most solid and easy to use that I have tried.

Johnny B

No reply from the OFT so I've gone straight to Festool and sent this.

While looking in to purchasing one of your Domino Jointing machine I have looked all over the internet to find the most competitive price. However everyone seems to be selling this tool at the same price at £513.30 inc vat. This being the case I went down to a nearby dealer to check their price. Exactly the same. I often get a discount at this dealer as much as 20% off the rrp (this is still sometimes a higher price than I can get the tools off the internet) on brands such as Makita and Dewalt however they claim that they have been instructed by yourselves not to discount your brand of tools under penalty of supplies being withdrawn. I have contacted two other suppliers. One semi locally and one long distance asking for a better deal on a Domino jointer and they both have said the same that Festool will not allow them to sell at a discount again under penalty of them being removed as a supplier. Digging deeper I have heard of someone who had got a small discount at a dealer and when visiting a woodworking show mentioned it to one of your reps who actually rang head office there and then to tell them about this and said that any discount had to be sanctioned by head office. This smacks of price fixing to me especially as I have heard from several different supplying sources that there is indeed a threat from yourselves to stop supply if discounts are offered. This level of uncompetitive behaviour is clearly illegal so I would like to ask a) for your comments on the above and b) where I can get a free market price on a Domino Jointer?

Can I ask if you have ever got a discount on a new car surely they are just the same all main dealers sell cars for the exact same price so why are you not hounding them too.

I've always had a discount off the marked price on every car, new or old (unless it's already on sale). And I don't think any car dealership has ever suggested that the manufacturer would revoke their dealership for doing this?

Hear hear Mike. I'm afraid that's not the case with car dealers, their prices can differ significantly. The situation will car dealer is very different. Whenever I've bought a new car I've played 2 or three dealers off each other. The last one gave me this, the last one gave me that etc. The point is that with cars you can tell straight away that it's a free market. Every dealer's starting prices vary depending on a number of factors such as acceptable profit margins, numbers sold in a quater etc. Dealers are usually contractually obliged to buy X number of cars from the manufacturer. To keep this contract going it relies on the dealer selling this number of cars. A dealer has many options. Dealer A might pick a base line price which is generally more competetive than other dealers meaning they shift more stock than the others at the beginning of the quarter helping towards the total. They offset the loss in revenue of this by hoping that word gets round that this dealer gave a price no one else could beat. You'd be surprised how few people will check around especially if they have been told by a friend or relative that they will get a good deal. (How many of us have gone straight to Axminster after reading feedback about good service and competative prices). The risk is that people do check and go elsewhere towards the end of the quater when other dealers offer more competative discounts. Conversely dealer B might refuse to discount heavily at the beginning of the quater. This means they sell less cars but make more profit on what they do sell. However toward the end of the quater they can often be miles away from their target numbers and have to cut prices more than the first dealer A to make their quota. If it gets really bad they will buy in the quota of cars for the quater anyway and register them in the dealers name thus fulfilling the contract. That's why you often get dealers with loads of ex demonstators with only delivery miles on them. Worst case still is like the Honda dealer down the road from me they buy the quota, register the cars in the dealers name and then drive them straight to auction where they are often bought by other independent forecourt traders for less than the dealers trade price. That's why your better off buying a car at the end of March, June, September or December. 9 times out of 10 you will get a better price. The main point is that the dealers can make the choise as to how they manage their business. Pile them high and sell them low or offer higher quailty service and change a bit more, it should be up to them. Many companies operate this way by getting the supplier to sign a contract to purchase a certain number of items or have a minimum order price per fixed period which amounts to the same thing. This all encourages competition and gives an added element other than profit. Festool are by-passing all of this kind of competetive processes by fixing the price. They may have other motives behind it such as supply and demand problems. If there production runs aren't high competetive pricing could lead to an increase in demand which would outstrip manufacturing supply. This (like Nintendo and the Wii) can have an adverse effect on the company image as customers start to get disgruntalled. Short supply turn tends to push prices up as people are prepared to pay a premium (again like the Wii). This is all high capitalism but thats the society we live in like it or not and those ore the rules. This isn't a communist country again like it or not and a manufacturer in the UK doesn't have the right to knobble the competetive market place like this. I stand by my right to complain.

Well thats a new one on me.

I have been looking at getting a new VW T5 van and every dealer I have been in contact with has given me exactly the same price.

Lifes too short to waste complaining about price fixing just buy another brand or buy Festool and put up with their prices like most of us do.

Come on, no one pays the list price for a car?? That's the one thing us Brits regularly haggle on.

Who mentioned list price I didnt dont put words in my mouth.

I was given a price lower than the list but all prices were exactly the same in every dealer.

By the way I always try to get the best deal on everything I buy including Festool.

Just noticed your bit about the Nintendo wii are you saying they cant be discounted either ?

Funny because I just bought one for the kids list price £179 on its own, I got it price matched in pc world with Mario kart game worth £35 for £162 is that not discounted ?.

Hey Chippie you got shares in festool!!.
I don't understand your negativity against somebody who is trying to stop quite obvious anti competitive activity.

Harry

It bemuses me how and why any consumer could support price-fixing.

Would you care to give some of your spare money to me if you care that little about it?

Maybe if we were all in a room talking about this then you would understand better its hard on here to communicate I suppose.

I will say just once more (1) I dont stick up for Festool and (2) I DO get discount when I buy Festool so whats the big problem ?

chippy1970":1ki965ne said:
Lifes too short to waste complaining about price fixing just buy another brand or buy Festool and put up with their prices like most of us do.
Complaining about wrong doings and fighting for our rights and a better world is the most important thing that can be done in life. So live is never ever to short to take action agaist something how ever small or buig that thing is or seems.

chippy1970":17uoobkb said:
I DO get discount when I buy Festool so whats the big problem ?

Good for you. How do they deal with the warranty card issue - having to send a copy of the receipt to get the two years extra is reputedly how they enforce it among their dealers. A refund?

I used to know a retailer who did discount a few years back, but they don't anymore - citing their contracts and the receipt/warranty issue. Everyone I've tried will only discount accessories (to the 20% level they are allowed to do).

Jake":2fspnxko said:
chippy1970":2fspnxko said:
I DO get discount when I buy Festool so whats the big problem ?

Good for you. How do they deal with the warranty card issue - having to send a copy of the receipt to get the two years extra is reputedly how they enforce it among their dealers. A refund?

With other brands its mostly enough to only fill in where you bought it, at what date and the item's serial number. No prove of payment required.

I used to know a retailer who did discount a few years back, but they don't anymore - citing their contracts and the receipt/warranty issue. Everyone I've tried will only discount accessories (to the 20% level they are allowed to do).
Or give things from other makers away.

Protool seems to do the same as Festool.

Latest posts

Back