Festool Prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to make my first Festool purchase (The Domino) having always been a Dewalt person. Doing a circuit of suppliers, there doesn't seem to be any variation in prices (all RRP). Is this normal, or just because the tool I'm looking at is new?

Maybe because it's new i'm not sure. I bought my festool from Jaycee Tools and were the best price, I would give them a call and see what they can offer you.

Try Healys and Tilgear.

You should be able to get the 10% or possibly the VAT off, although that may depend on whether they are now keeping up with demand on the domino.

Rutlands once said on the phone to me "oh, we aren't permitted to give discounts under our agreement with Minden", which was extraordinarily unwise.

Jake":2mwdzok1 said:
Rutlands once said on the phone to me "oh, we aren't permitted to give discounts under our agreement with Minden", which was extraordinarily unwise.
Not to mention probably untrue. I can get discount off Festool, but mainly because I have a trade account with someone who happens to be a Festool dealer, however, the percentages aren't exactly brilliant when compared to deWalt, Makita, etc. Whether or not this is Minden or even Festool forcing the issue, or whether the dealers are working on a tighter margin is anybody's guess. The same sort of situation appears to persist in the USA as well.

Scrit

No idea whether it was true or not, obviously - it would be even more foolish to write any such thing into an agreement than to say it. Such things are rarely done that way for that very reason.

This was three years or so ago, when the pricing was (in my experience) even more rigid and very much list price bar one retailer that I found (who have since reverted to a smaller level of discount than they were then prepared to offer).

Historically, I think it is fair to say that some German companies have struggled with the concept of competition rules like the banning of rpm. As have companies which pitch themselves at the top or luxury end of the market, where high prices reinforce the brand values they want to project.

Being a lover of anything festool I was wondering if the price of the domino is really worth it.

Looking at the details it doesn't seem far removed from a biscuit joiner, or have I got this wrong, and nearly more than twice the price of a top range BJ.

Thoughts appreciated

Waka":2xxkig5r said:
Being a lover of anything festool I was wondering if the price of the domino is really worth it.

Looking at the details it doesn't seem far removed from a biscuit joiner, or have I got this wrong, and nearly more than twice the price of a top range BJ.

Thoughts appreciated

IMO the concept is similar, but the joint would be stronger.

gardenshed":29suhf8w said:
Metabo do the same tool, same quality imho, & better discounts :)
I didn't know that - have you got a link or model number? I would have expected to see a Mafell version, but not Metabo (although I guess the Festool & Metabo belt sanders are one and the same, so it wouldn't be completely unexpected)

Cheers,
Neil

I'm surprised you are having to pay rrp. My understanding is that the rrp for the Domino is £545+VAT, but Ax and at least one other (can't remember who) had it recently for £512 inc VAT.

The Domino is a superb tool, doing loose tenon joinery quickly and accurately. But it is aimed at the pro, and it is difficult for us home woodies to justify that sort of expenditure.

What do you want it for? If you are going to use it, buy it and you won't be disappointed. But if it is a toy, you can do the same job with a little router and a jig or too. Not as fast, certainly, but just as well.

I have the use of one at the mo. It's not mine to keep, unfortunately. But it really does do what it says on the tin, and it isn't just a glorified BJ. For example, you can do face frames with it, and doing anything much narrower than about 70mm is out with a BJ unless you have the Porter Cable (I think) that does the FF size biscuits.

I didn't know about the Metabo either. I'd be interested in seeing it.

Steve Maskery":16ey4ayl said:
For example, you can do face frames with it, and doing anything much narrower than about 70mm is out with a BJ unless you have the Porter Cable (I think) that does the FF size biscuits.
There's also a Ryobi small biscuit jointer (called a ZRDBJ50 Detail Biscuit Joiner, catchy named, what?) that uses very small biscuits (R-1 to R-3) for face frames, although I suspect it would be a personal import. I've seen one in use in my cousin's shop in CA and whilst the machine seems like a toy at first, it is very effective, only downside he tells me is that the fence breaks very easily as it's only acrylic

One question would be, can you get FF (13mm x 30mm) biscuits or the even smaller R-1 to R-3 biscuits readily in the UK?

Scrit

Steve Maskery":3s36n12c said:
I'm surprised you are having to pay rrp. My understanding is that the rrp for the Domino is £545+VAT, but Ax and at least one other (can't remember who) had it recently for £512 inc VAT.

The Domino is a superb tool, doing loose tenon joinery quickly and accurately. But it is aimed at the pro, and it is difficult for us home woodies to justify that sort of expenditure.

What do you want it for? If you are going to use it, buy it and you won't be disappointed. But if it is a toy, you can do the same job with a little router and a jig or too. Not as fast, certainly, but just as well.

I have the use of one at the mo. It's not mine to keep, unfortunately. But it really does do what it says on the tin, and it isn't just a glorified BJ. For example, you can do face frames with it, and doing anything much narrower than about 70mm is out with a BJ unless you have the Porter Cable (I think) that does the FF size biscuits.

I didn't know about the Metabo either. I'd be interested in seeing it.

Steve - thanks for your reply. The use of the machine is as you describe. My query was really based on the fact that I went to about 8 or 9 dealers selling this tool and all the prices were in the range of £509 to £512 approx. Usually buying Dewalt power tools and seeing the wide range of prices, I was surprised that the price range was so close and wondered whether this was normal for Festool, or possibly because this machine is new?

Freetochat":24feapvr said:
I was surprised that the price range was so close and wondered whether this was normal for Festool, or possibly because this machine is new?

In my experience this is very normal indeed for Festool tools. The amount of discount available seems unusually rigid.

As with a lot of things, festool sell much cheaper in the USA. I have a sister who lives in the USA and the family connection has brought the chance to save more than a few quid now and then. Earlier this year I tried to order some festool stuff for delivery to her USA address. It seems that toolshops can only act as order takers, payment is made direct to festoolUSA, who will not accept non US credit cards. I was told they do this to "stabilse" US prices and to prevent US purchases being taken out of the country, to maintail a separate market. So much for competition!

One tool vendor kindly advised me to get my sister to order the items on her card (and reimbursing her, of course) next time I was visiting...

With regard to this particular tool, has anyone considered the following points?

1. It is a single purpose and single format instrument requiring purchase now and in the future of special cutters and inserts.
2. It is expensive in the first place and then is a good money sink for the future.
3. It vibrates a lot. Like any tool involving movements in two planes there is considerable opportunity for wear.
4. Having seen both demonstrated, I would go for the Leigh router M&T jig or the little Woodrat (which I have) or any simple home made jig.

Since the introduction of angle grinders, companies have gone to extreme lengths to tack on various heads to perform outlandish tasks. the basic inexpensive core remains and avoids retooling costs I suppose.

As a Domino and an FMT owner may I offer the following points:

1. The FMT is a superbly engineered and highly accurate jig which exudes quality and almost justifies its high initial cost.

2. the Festool Domino is a superbly engineered and highly accurate tool which exudes quality and (for me) justifies every penny of its cost. It paid for itself after two jobs.

a. The speed of set up (two pencil marks), accuracy of cut and ability to dry assemble Domino joints has halved my production time. It is portable and thus can be taken to the job rather than the job to the FMT or the Woodrat for that matter. Its capacity, ie wide boards, is infinite though depth and height of cut are limited by the support fence design. However I have not found this to limit the work that I do and it is particularly suited for interior carcase and worktop use.

b. After extensive use I have yet to wear a cutter. A replacement is under £20 or about the same price as the Leigh cutters or a decent router bit.

c. I make my own Dominos in matching and contrasting woods for 'through' Domino jointing but have bought the Festool Domis for standard work. When they run out I will make my own.

d. There is minimal vibration and the precision of the plunge action is a testament to the assembly and machining tolerances that Festool apply to all their machines. Which they should at the prices they charge.

e. I use the Domino as a router to channel drawer bottoms and am constantly amazed at the flexibility of the tool and the strength of the joint.

f. If I wear it out in 3 years of hard work then I know that Mr Festool will have a replacement or a repair done within 48hrs at their carrier expense.

I have just ordered my Domino from Germany, bought it on good old eBay. I logged on to the German site. Considerable savings, postage to France was free, don't know about the UK. Bought the systainer box of Dominos as well. I've bought all my Festool gear form there, delivery within 3 days.

Back