Multitool advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that works as a summary of multitools to me, if you have plenty of room to work, they are rarely the right tool, but for awkward spaces they are a game changer, so glad I've got mine
Yes whatever make you prefer they can certainly reach the parts other tools can’t- I’m sure there was drinks manufacturer that used that phrase in their advertising 👍👍

I have the fein starlock 18v cordless one.
I bought it because it was the quietest and smoothest among what are noisy tools.
Quality is great.

I handled the newly launched Bosch version just the other day, good, but my 5 yr old Fein is better and now comes on the Bosch battery platform which widens your choice of other tools.

You can see a teardown here. It matters because if you use them a lot for tile / grout / plaster then you'll need to blow them out or open up and vacuum out from time to time. As it happens I had to do it for the second time ever yesterday.
20240403_134736.jpg

All good again.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/fein-cordless-multimaster-cleaning.136036/

I also added the accessory depth stop to my AFMM 18. It's great if you need to cut floorboards to lift without overshooting into pipes or cables that might be below.

Fein, original and best. Proper industrial tools, try and get a pre starlock one so you can just use any blades.
The festool is a rebranded Fein supercut.
I see little reason to pay extra for a battery one you will need a dust extractor anyway so plug it in to that.

Last edited:
My vote is for the Fein it has a two meter cord that can be annoying to put back into the case, but also means most of the time you do not need an extension reel which is of real benefit.

I have three of these, the cheap green Bosch

I've that one too. More decibels than a thicknesser on oak.

I've been eyeing up the fein or maybe Bosch blue versions. Someone tell me those are a bit quieter.
It's the only thing i use outside that you need wear headphones for,

I bought a cheap bosch to do a job, did what I needed, but vibrated a lot. Gave that to son in law and bought a corded Fein.. brilliant tool, very refined, feels like it will last for ever. A mate saw my Fein and decided he needed one, he got a de walt and I thought that was pretty good too. My advice, go for the best you can afford, you'll always be finding new jobs you can do with it.

Ps only problem with the Fein is that you get a long cord with it, and it's a pain folding it up correctly to get it back in the box!

Edit, seems I've just repeated what others have said.....apols.

Hi All,

Am thinking about purchasing a multitool to help with a few bits at home and want to make sure what I get is good quality and will last. I've looked at the Dewalt and also the Festool (which looks amazing, but is obviously top dollar). Anyone have any recommendations? Guess it will have pretty regular use.

Best,

Ed.
If you already have Dewalt batteries get a Dewalt bare multi tool. Work out cheaper i have one a few years now. Great bit of kit i also buy cheap blades on ebay they do the job.

Cordless for me.Just so handy.Had the DeWalt for 5 years for work.Great tool and it gets a fair bit of use. Can't fault it at all.I use it with whatever battery is handy either 5ah or 2ah.
Personally all I use with it are cheap 32mm blades.Cant see the point in dear blades as they just get ruined if you catch a nail or masonry.Just put a fresh one in if you have a particular clean cut to do.

I bought a fein corded about 15 years ago when laying an oak floor, great for cutting door frames to get the 18mm oak boards under the frame. It is still going strong. Never had to change brushes on it yet. Fein had the patient, which ran out and everyone makes them now. Bought a dewalt cordless for work to cut a ceiling. It is ok and convenient having no trailing lead.
As I have some dewalt tools, would probably go for a dewalt now.

I find this tool does not get a lot of use but having one can get you out of some tight corners and is therefore invaluable. I still have an old 110 volt Bosch that uses a hex key for blade changes but it still serves its purpose. If I was doing flooring then I would look at the Milwaukee M18 as that gets good reviews and having handled one it does feel usable. The issue with the cordless models is that battery hanging of one end, both weight and bulky when compared to the corded models which are more streamlined.

I've that one too. More decibels than a thicknesser on oak.

I've been eyeing up the fein or maybe Bosch blue versions. Someone tell me those are a bit quieter.
It's the only thing i use outside that you need wear headphones for,
I have the green Bosch one I bought in 2012 to help with a house renovation and found it so useful I thought I'd replace it with something better when it dies. Unfortunately it's still going strong, very noisy and vibrates like **** but still gets regular use for all the things it's the best tool for, I love it!
+1 for Saxton blades.

I have a corded Fein and cordless Makita. The Fein is the better tool, much smoother, less vibration etc.........but the cordless Makita is so much handier that I haven't used the Fein for at least 2 years.

I find this tool does not get a lot of use but having one can get you out of some tight corners and is therefore invaluable. I still have an old 110 volt Bosch that uses a hex key for blade changes but it still serves its purpose. If I was doing flooring then I would look at the Milwaukee M18 as that gets good reviews and having handled one it does feel usable. The issue with the cordless models is that battery hanging of one end, both weight and bulky when compared to the corded models which are more streamlined.
Totally agree with the cordless vs corded comments. A couple of years ago, during lockdown, I sold all my various cordless tools except a Milwaukee drill and since only added new cordless Milwaukee when needed. Often corded is the better tool in many situations.

Back