Fed up sharpening pencils

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the chisel is fast for sharpening them, recently I'm using H or 2H and the carbon is much more durable, they seem to last longer.

Last edited:
Staedtler 2h and will last all day on 1 or 2 sharpens.Very hard lead and very light so great for second fix and joinery

Get a batch of decent Staedtler Norris pencils and a metal bench mounted helix sharpener

or

A smaller batch of Pentel graphgear's.

Either option or both will be a vast improvement.

Get a batch of decent Staedtler Norris pencils and a metal bench mounted helix sharpener

or

A smaller batch of Pentel graphgear's.

Either option or both will be a vast improvement.
What is wrong with a chisel to sharpen the pencil ? No chippy i have ever employed better turn up with a pencil sharpener in his tool bag 🤪

I think my ear is worn out, I always had a pencil behind it at work but now I can't keep one there for long before it falls off :(

@shed9
Is that those blue ones for a tenner, or is a vintage thing?

I epoxied a magnet to a metal one I recently got for a quid, wasn't long until the blooming thread holding the blade gave up
Tried honing them before without great results,
Anyone have any tips or tricks for holding the teeny blade?

@shed9
Is that those blue ones for a tenner, or is a vintage thing?
One of these:

ps.png

I genuinely don't understand the people that will use a chisel, disc sander (whhhhyyy??), knife etc instead of just using a pencil sharpener.... :p

If you have problems losing a pencil sharper .. stick it to something that is hard to lose!

It hurts when I see people using pencils like this (unless of course for roughly marking on rough material)

1622813169451.png
1622813357243.png

The KUM Long point pencil sharpener is very good. But I suppose people will complain about spending £6 on that :D

+1 from me for the Pentel Graphgear pencils, either the 500 or the 1000 model - I buy the 0.7mm if I can, but I do have one that's the 0.5mm size, for those rules with the holes.

G.

What happened to the days when chippies kept their pencil behind there ear, something I have remembered from my days on industrial sites where us electricians thought it an odd practice but in hindsight it makes perfect sense.

another vote for Rotring propelling pencil 0.5mm - fit perfect in the incra rulers I have

Use cheap HB or Staedtler 2h for rough marking out

Suberb replies, made me smile. I tried the Pental and they were great but ran out of ink very quickly and you couldnt refill them easilly. Forgot about the ROTRING. I have used them many years ago and they are great (But extremmly expenisve but i love buying stuff. If i doint get an Amazon delivery every day i get withdrawal symptons so im going to order some of them but check out the refilabilty of them first.)
Have ordered a battery sharpener and some H grade pencils as well
many thanks
alan

Another vote for Kum Long Point sharpeners. I got banned from taking mine into school. The kids all started stabbing each other with their impressively sharpened pencils

I have a big mug under the pencil sharpener on the wall. Have a few Sharpies and a few flat carpenter pencils but there is a big fistful of HB pencils in it. As I am about the shop or cleaning up, putting things away, I gather up the orphans, sharpen and put them in the cup for next time. So far the cup has never run out.

The sharpest pencil in the box
Pete 😉

I think it's got to be what they mean by a 'first world problem'?! :)
I enjoy converting a blunt pencil into a sharp one, even think my mind's a bit sharper after I've done it. And the sheer pleasure of seeing a precise line, clean-cut edges as the result of my efforts rotating it in the sharpener? Can't beat it.

Back