Favorite YouTube woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong, I love youtube and watch a lot of woodworking channels.

But there are a few things I can't stand.

1) The "pleeeeeease subscribe" pleas in every damn video. 99% of people know how to use youtube. If they want to subscribe, they'll do it. As a content creater or "Maker" (wank term), you're annoying 99% of your audience for the 1%.

2) The stupid, Intro (what's coming up next nonsense)-> Jingle -> Actual content. Why? .. Most of the time they'll just repeat what they said in the intro, 10 seconds later. It's like they're trying to be some kind of television show and it's just annoying. Stop it!

3) Advertisment. I really don't mind the ads (the inbuilt youtube ones) as I know you don't get anything for free. That's how they make their money. Fair enough! .. but now it's reached a new level of annoying with the way they now do their own ads themselves. A minute ramble of something that has NOTHING to do with the content of the video, usually website tools, food, vpn software. Then they give you the "I've been using it for X years and I love it ......Thanks <insert company name>" ... God it is so cheesy! ... grinds my gears. Please go back to letting youtube do the ads for you!

Ahhhh - I feel so much better now :)

transatlantic":fsft7syf said:
Don't get me wrong, I love youtube and watch a lot of woodworking channels.

But there are a few things I can't stand.

1) The "pleeeeeease subscribe" pleas in every damn video. 99% of people know how to use youtube. If they want to subscribe, they'll do it. As a content creater or "Maker" (wank term), you're annoying 99% of your audience for the 1%.

2) The stupid, Intro (what's coming up next nonsense)-> Jingle -> Actual content. Why? .. Most of the time they'll just repeat what they said in the intro, 10 seconds later. It's like they're trying to be some kind of television show and it's just annoying. Stop it!

3) Advertisment. I really don't mind the ads (the inbuilt youtube ones) as I know you don't get anything for free. That's how they make their money. Fair enough! .. but now it's reached a new level of annoying with the way they now do their own ads themselves. A minute ramble of something that has NOTHING to do with the content of the video, usually website tools, food, vpn software. Then they give you the "I've been using it for X years and I love it ......Thanks <insert company name>" ... God it is so cheesy! ... grinds my gears. Please go back to letting youtube do the ads for you!

Ahhhh - I feel so much better now :)

Amen to all of that! Even more annoying if the intro music is 300% louder than the rest of the video.

May I add...

a) Trying to be funny and doing some lame comedy routine. If I want comedy I'll watch a comedian, so stop mucking about and get on with building that dust extraction box!

b) Getting your family involved. Yes it's very sweet and lovely your kid is playing with the woodshavings, getting in the way and (badly) helping you do the glue up but can't you save all that soppy stuff for your family?

God I'm a miserable git!

Can i add, people that have a sea of blue rockler bits 'n' bobs with videos sponsored by Rockler and how amazing it all is.

or could be worse, the Festool fanbois that have a sea of systainers but don't actually make anything...I say worse because as far as I know, Festool dont even give them money for it.

And finally I agree with the whole jingle thing, annoying AF. almost as much as people who are really animated or too close to a camera...

i'm going to go plane some wood now to calm down.

I often giggle to myself at the thought of what reaction I'd get from sponsors if I filmed my work and dumped it on Youtube. "You don't need that shiny new tool, just learn this skill....." "Magic joint making machine? No, just cut a damn joint!" Poverty of time and money lies that way, which is why I'm not on Youtube.

Patreon.....id rather adopt a tiger than support someone make videos for youtube. A lot of the channels I have seen have 10-30k subscribers and then basically say I have quit my job to do youtube, please pay my bills.

then there's the others, with 100k plus of machinery asking for handouts on patreon.....

umm no.

I was actually replying to someone, however it seems the post was deleted :/

That was me, I deleted my post by accident. It was a worthless post anyway, basically I was just moaning about some youtubers shoving patreon in your face .

craigsalisbury":2y4jyo8k said:
Patreon.....id rather adopt a tiger than support someone make videos for youtube. A lot of the channels I have seen have 10-30k subscribers and then basically say I have quit my job to do youtube, please pay my bills.

then there's the others, with 100k plus of machinery asking for handouts on patreon.....

umm no.
And...

It isn't compulsory. So I don't understand the problem really.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Interesting insight into how much money is made via YouTube, link below.
Don't forget, it's also about affiliate links to online shopping... Even if you browse and buy other products, via that affiliate link the content creator provides.

I applaud those who make the effort. At the end of the day, good content + demand = value for someone, fair play.

https://youtu.be/xHdOo3JVeXk

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Prominent British youtuber Keith Brown did a recent ‘how much money do I make’ vid. and although he included all sales and commercial work, he’s only making minimum wage.

https://youtu.be/1BdB-c4Cv40

And snce we’re venting, here my pet YouTube hate; all the whingeing moaners who think channels should exist for them, and them alone, because the world revolves around them :D

So, fun thread, let’s see if I can offer some insight...

The Intro > jingle > content is a strategy shown to be effective in grabbing and keeping attention; this is important because most viewers have an attention span of less than ten seconds before they click away to the thumbnail of the girl in a bikini. Fact of life #1: the whingers who complain about this make up an insignificant percentage of viewers. And they thought they were sooooo special...

WRT the call to subscribe - repetition works. The channels will know via analytics what the subscribed/not subscribed viewership is, and anyone with even a passing acquaintance with marketing will know the power of a ‘call to action’ e.g. share/like/subscribe. Fact of life #2; subscribers are becoming a. harder to come by and b. arguably less relevant, since the changes to the algorithm that pushes content into your feed.

YouTube ads vs Sponsor reads; if a channel ‘monetises’ through ads that are shown, they receive a tiny percentage of the revenue generated - but only if the ad plays fully; skip that ad and the channel receives nothing. Channels have no control over the ads shown, occasionally they’re relevant, frequently not. As an aside, US ad views pay a *lot* more than UK ones, hence the ‘Americanisation’ of a lot of videos... Sponsor reads OTOH are arrangements that the individual or channel has made with a company, and are usually as part of the agreement, the channel owner/operator/ proprietor reading a prepared/agreed script to their audience for a fee. On ‘maker’ channels (seriously, what else would you call them??) this can lead to some odd situations e.g. a lot of blokes with beards pushing shaving products. Fact of life #3; it costs a lot of money to run a YouTube channel, especially so if you make stuff, rather than, say, just sitting in front of a camera for an hour on a Saturday morning chatting about toys. My first year on YouTube cost me £16K and it hasn’t got any cheaper since...

And so to Patreon. Patreon is big in the ‘maker’ space (seriously, what else would you.. oh never mind) less so in other areas. It’s a way for individuals to support the channels and creators whose work they enjoy - a bit like a magazine subscription (if you remember magazines) but for video. In return most creators will offer extra goodies for their Patreon supporters - exclusive content, behind the scenes videos, giveaways, plans etc.. etc.. Patreon BTW is American, and refuses to acknowledge any currencies other than $ and € so if you happen to work in £ you can kiss goodbye to ~20% of funds donated through fees and exchange rates. Patreon engagement levels are extremely low for makers (literally a handful with more than 1% of their subscriber base actively engaged) and are typically around the ~0.5% mark, generating $2 or less per Patreon supporter. Fact of life #4; some folks are extremely generous with their support, both financially and in offering advice, but some seem to expect the moon on a stick just because they’ve pledged to throw $1 in the pot.

Affiliate income is a kind of ‘introduction / referral fee’ where you can receive a small fee if someone makes a purchase through a link you provide. Amazon is the big dog here, but obviously it’s not always the most appropriate place for folks to buy from, and Amazon operates (as many others do) as separate companies in the UK, US, France, Germany, Netherlands etc.. etc.. so if you have an international audience and want to generate affiliate income you need an affiliate account with each different company (Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr etc...) and set up unique links for each individual product. Depending on where you are and where your audience is, this can rapidly become a lot of effort for very little return. Fact of life #5; each Amazon company only pays affiliate income in local currency, to a national bank account ie Amazon.com will only pay out to a US bank in $US. So if you’re not in the US you get paid in $US Gift Cards - which are only redeemable at Amazon.com...

So there we are, I hope you’ve enjoyed this ‘mini-rant in reply’, I hope you found it useful. Don’t forget that the best way not to miss one of my mini-rants is to subscribe, and if you do subscribe don’t forget to hit that bell, then you’ll be notified whenever I rant something new. I’d like to take a minute just to thank all of my Patreon supporters, without whom I’d be ranting in the dark as their continued support really helps to keep the lights on here, but that it for this rant, thanks so much for reading, and I’ll see you next time.

Take care...

petermillard":xmce89jg said:
Prominent British youtuber Keith Brown did a recent ‘how much money do I make’ vid. and although he included all sales and commercial work, he’s only making minimum wage.

And snce we’re venting, here my pet YouTube hate; all the whingeing moaners who think channels should exist for them, and them alone, because the world revolves around them :D

The Intro > jingle > content is a strategy shown to be effective in grabbing and keeping attention; this is important because most viewers have an attention span of less than ten seconds before they click away to the thumbnail of the girl in a bikini. Fact of life #1: the whingers who complain about this make up an insignificant percentage of viewers. And they thought they were sooooo special...

WRT the call to subscribe - repetition works. The channels will know via analytics what the subscribed/not subscribed viewership is, and anyone with even a passing acquaintance with marketing will know the power of a ‘call to action’ e.g. share/like/subscribe. Fact of life #2; subscribers are becoming a. harder to come by and b. arguably less relevant, since the changes to the algorithm that pushes content into your feed.

YouTube ads vs Sponsor reads; if a channel ‘monetises’ through ads that are shown, they receive a tiny percentage of the revenue generated - but only if the ad plays fully; skip that ad and the channel receives nothing. Channels have no control over the ads shown, occasionally they’re relevant, frequently not. As an aside, US ad views pay a *lot* more than UK ones, hence the ‘Americanisation’ of a lot of videos... Sponsor reads OTOH are arrangements that the individual or channel has made with a company, and are usually as part of the agreement, the channel owner/operator/ proprietor reading a prepared/agreed script to their audience for a fee. On ‘maker’ channels (seriously, what else would you call them??) this can lead to some odd situations e.g. a lot of blokes with beards pushing shaving products. Fact of life #3; it costs a lot of money to run a YouTube channel, especially so if you make stuff, rather than, say, just sitting in front of a camera for an hour on a Saturday morning chatting about toys. My first year on YouTube cost me £16K and it hasn’t got any cheaper since...

And so to Patreon. Patreon is big in the ‘maker’ space (seriously, what else would you.. oh never mind) less so in other areas. It’s a way for individuals to support the channels and creators whose work they enjoy - a bit like a magazine subscription (if you remember magazines) but for video. In return most creators will offer extra goodies for their Patreon supporters - exclusive content, behind the scenes videos, giveaways, plans etc.. etc.. Patreon BTW is American, and refuses to acknowledge any currencies other than $ and € so if you happen to work in £ you can kiss goodbye to ~20% of funds donated through fees and exchange rates. Patreon engagement levels are extremely low for makers (literally a handful with more than 1% of their subscriber base actively engaged) and are typically around the ~0.5% mark, generating $2 or less per Patreon supporter. Fact of life #4; some folks are extremely generous with their support, both financially and in offering advice, but some seem to expect the moon on a stick just because they’ve pledged to throw $1 in the pot.

Affiliate income is a kind of ‘introduction / referral fee’ where you can receive a small fee if someone makes a purchase through a link you provide. Amazon is the big dog here, but obviously it’s not always the most appropriate place for folks to buy from, and Amazon operates (as many others do) as separate companies in the UK, US, France, Germany, Netherlands etc.. etc.. so if you have an international audience and want to generate affiliate income you need an affiliate account with each different company (Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr etc...) and set up unique links for each individual product. Depending on where you are and where your audience is, this can rapidly become a lot of effort for very little return. Fact of life #5; each Amazon company only pays affiliate income in local currency, to a national bank account ie Amazon.com will only pay out to a US bank in $US. So if you’re not in the US you get paid in $US Gift Cards - which are only redeemable at Amazon.com...

So there we are, I hope you’ve enjoyed this ‘mini-rant in reply’, I hope you found it useful. Don’t forget that the best way not to miss one of my mini-rants is to subscribe, and if you do subscribe don’t forget to hit that bell, then you’ll be notified whenever I rant something new. I’d like to take a minute just to thank all of my Patreon supporters, without whom I’d be ranting in the dark as their continued support really helps to keep the lights on here, but that it for this rant, thanks so much for reading, and I’ll see you next time.

Take care...

Another one of my pet hates. Youtube content creators who can't take critisism! (or trolling as they prefer to refer to it)

petermillard":bgynjzle said:
Fact of life #3; it costs a lot of money to run a YouTube channel, especially so if you make stuff, rather than, say, just sitting in front of a camera for an hour on a Saturday morning chatting about toys. My first year on YouTube cost me £16K and it hasn’t got any cheaper since...
Can i ask why you bother Peter? I presume you work for yourself & £16 K a year is a lot to lose in a business sense or can you write this off as an expense?
I for a short time years ago wrote for a couple of magazines, whilst nice for the ego the recompense was so little as to not be financially worthwhile so rather than lose money I stopped.

petermillard":uwa3slcd said:

Take care...
Complete agree Peter.

In the end it is free content and you don't have to watch. Whether you think the channel deserves your money or earns it is irrelevant.

I'd rather be watching YouTube with content I am interested in rather than broadcast TV with its adverts and issues of its own.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

As I mentioned before, I applaud those who try and see how it goes. I have access to so much free, informative content - honestly, why should I complain :)

Nice summary Peter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

transatlantic":173ep59i said:
Another one of my pet hates. Youtube content creators who can't take critisism! (or trolling as they prefer to refer to it)
Was that criticism, lol! I took it to be a few grumpy old guys moaning about things on YouTube they didn’t like or were confused about, so I thought I’d help by explaining, as simply as I could, why the things they don’t like happen. You’re welcome.

petermillard":2mv1r7do said:

Take care...

I also respect your right to counter moan....thats coming up next... :D :D :D :D :D

Back