The 5-cut method explained in detail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thundersley, Benfleet, Essex, United Kingdom
Eleven years ago Mr. William Ng published a video, in Youtube, outlining a method by which one can arrange the fence of a crosscut sled to be vertical to the blade run line (or as near vertical to it) In one of my recent videos I have explained how and why this method works. No heavy maths or geometry involved. Also added is a link in case you may want to download a pdf file on this story. I hope that helps.
The link to the video is: and in the description one will find the link to download the full file. If there are any questions, please drop me a line and I shall respond.

Attachments

• COVER PHOTO 5-CUTS METHOD copy.png
    COVER PHOTO 5-CUTS METHOD copy.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Interesting and informative, thank you.
However, I'd like to raise a general question. How accurate is accurate enough?
Like many, I have recently made an improved cross cut sled and I actually used a different cut system I saw online to test accuracy. It is about 200th of an inch off over 3 feet. I have seen many YouTubers then realign their fence to get rid of discrepancies of this magnitude, using feeler gauges to shuffle one side of the fence forward (or back) by half of the amount off to get a perfect 90% over 4 feet. Is that really necessary? Most of my cross cuts are going to be in the range of 15cm - 25cm wide, I'm rarely going to cut 3 or 4 feet wide boards with a cross cut sled (do you?), and if i did I don't think 200th of an inch would be noticeable.
The piece being cut is a natural material, subject to swelling etc so just how accurate does it really need to be for the average, or normal, woodworker? I am not likely to readjust mine for such a tiny amount. Am I wrong or foolish? Is the race for perfection more of a mental challenge than a necessary one?

I like this new sort of history which is defined by who put up a Youtube video way way back in the early noughts.

Yeah.
The 3-4-5 triangle dates back to Pythagoras.
I strongly suspect the 5 cut method predates youtube, the internet, William Ng, computers and probably tablesaws :)
Chances are there's a piece of papyrus somewhere with a drawing of a bloke testing his new set square ...

In the not too distant future, the millennia before 2000 will probably be be regarded as a new "Dark Ages" simply because life wasn't all documented on the internet and if it's not available online, then people can't be ar$ed to go and look for it !

Last edited:
If it's not on video it's not real, and if it's presented by a Youtube F-lister, it's gospel.

Like many, I have recently made an improved cross cut sled and I actually used a different cut system I saw online to test accuracy. It is about 200th of an inch off over 3 feet. I have seen many YouTubers then realign their fence to get rid of discrepancies of this magnitude, using feeler gauges to shuffle one side of the fence forward (or back) by half of the amount off to get a perfect 90% over 4 feet. Is that really necessary? Most of my cross cuts are going to be in the range of 15cm - 25cm wide, I'm rarely going to cut 3 or 4 feet wide boards with a cross cut sled (do you?), and if i did I don't think 200th of an inch would be noticeable.
The piece being cut is a natural material, subject to swelling etc so just how accurate does it really need to be for the average, or normal, woodworker? I am not likely to readjust mine for such a tiny amount. Am I wrong or foolish? Is the race for perfection more of a mental challenge than a necessary one?

That's long been my feeling towards the subject - it's woodworking not precision engineering so just how important are those tiny imperceptible fractions in the grand scheme of things. When building my first crosscut sled I only used a reliable framing square which I felt was all the accuracy I needed.

The only place where accuracy helps is sheet goods cabinet builds. Of course you can be careful with cut orientation to ensure all panels have the same inaccuracy but being completely square requires a lower level of attention to orientation.

I’ve used this method to square up the radial arm saw at work with a 20” ish square piece of MDF. Surprisingly effective.

You are correct, one might have to do a second correction after the initial adjustment. It all depends on what is accurate enough for the particular project.

Just reading through the written document, but I can't seem to find either drawing #2 or drawing #4, seems like the formatting of the document has meant some of the diagrams or drawing are overlapping. Can you edit the document?

Right is right so any discrepancy will be magnified or minimised by how well the initial set up is done! Most people and jobs don't need that level of accuracy but the better you get the initial set up the bigger the mistake you can make before it becomes critical!

Just reading through the written document, but I can't seem to find either drawing #2 or drawing #4, seems like the formatting of the document has meant some of the diagrams or drawing are overlapping. Can you edit the document?
Dear Mr. Hobday, please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. I have now remade this document and everything is in the correct place. I have also revised the link in the description of this video and I am copying it here for you; Here it is:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I like this new sort of history which is defined by who put up a Youtube video way way back in the early noughts.
I rather like the way negative (sad?) people deride those who take the time and trouble to make a you tube video.

I rather like the way negative (sad?) people deride those who take the time and trouble to make a you tube video.
I'm sure the video is great, and good to spread the message on an age old stalwart technique to those who don't know. Crediting Mr Ng as the originator was just a bit historically inaccurate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back