The 5-cut method explained in detail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People these days are constantly looking for lab perfect specs on everything for no real world reason.
Does the method work, sure it's math,
Is it necessary, not in my shop.

@harkar97 Thanks for taking the time to write this up, I’m sure there are a few who are interested in the detail you’ve added, if a little too much for my needs.
Mr Ng certainly didn’t invent the method but he brought it into more common knowledge for the lazy (busy?) among us who gain a lot of useful information from YouTube.
I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t spend the extra ten minutes while making a crosscut sled (or setting up nearly any 90° cutting tool) to set the angle as close to perpendicular (yes I prefer that word) as possible.
Especially (as @paulrbarnard mentioned) if you’re making cabinetry from sheet goods, where the 0.25mms can soon add up to an unsightly gap.

Edit: bit of grammar fixing

Last edited:
If I'm making cabinetry from sheet goods, I'm probably not using a sled, I'd more likely be using the rip fence.
The 2 cut method is more than accurate enough for the capacity of most any sled.

@harkar97 Thanks for taking the time to write this up, I’m sure there are a few who are interested in the detail you’ve added, if a little too much for my needs.
Mr Ng certainly didn’t invent the method but he brought it into more common knowledge for the lazy (busy?) among us who gain a lot of useful information from YouTube.
I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t spend the extra ten minutes while making a crosscut sled (or setting up nearly any 90° cutting tool) to set the angle as close to perpendicular (yes I prefer that word) as possible.
Especially (as @paulrbarnard mentioned) if you’re making cabinetry from sheet goods, where the 0.25mms can soon add up to an unsightly gap.

Edit: bit of grammar fixing
Dephill,
Thank you very much for your kind comments which are appreciated.

Latest posts

Back