Favorite YouTube woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a few guys over the pond that I really like:

I Like to Make Stuff - Guy named Bob, more of general makers channel, but he does some really cool woodworking projects sometimes mixed in with general DIY and other 'maker' videos. Really does a bit of everything!
WWMM (Woodworking for Mere Mortals) - Steve Ramsey, some great videos but a little cringey at times.

I've stumbled across Paul Sellers in the past but haven't heard of most of the guys suggested here! For some reason my feed seems to be dominated by the yanks :shock: I'll have to check all of these out!

There is also Matt Estlea. Good videos and some interesting topics (how to cut joints, some tools reviews, etc)

Has been a bit less interesting lately.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Noho12C":1fhgnsd3 said:
There is also Matt Estlea. Good videos and some interesting topics (how to cut joints, some tools reviews, etc)

Has been a bit less interesting lately.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

He is good but I agree with the less interesting bit. Hes amassed a dung ton of new power tools and machinery so his channel has changed a lot. I enjoyed his earlier stuff quite a lot.

Four eyes furniture is great. Co hosts an excellent podcast as well called Modern Maker who, as a collective, also produce clamps and a finish. His socials are good too.

Pask Makes has a great workbench vid which I made.

But it has to be Paul Sellers. I just love the way he says 'like thissss'

MikeG.":1zu6uyhh said:
thetyreman":1zu6uyhh said:
....... people can see through snake oil and bodgers who aren't really craftsmen. There's a saying I really like 'silence is better than bulls**t'

Ah, you're talking about Wood by Wright. He does some of the worst handtool demonstrations you could hope to see. His carving is joyously awful. It's so bad it makes compulsive viewing. The thing is, he is pleasant and enthusiastic, so his devotees must just overlook his poor skills to enjoy half an hour in his company whilst he ruins some wood. He has a huge audience.
That's really interesting Mike. I enjoy watching his channel because he seems like a nice enthusiastic guy (like you said), but rather than overlooking his poor skills it's purely ignorance on my part as I didn't know they were bad :oops:
I guess that's the problem with youtube when you're a beginner, I could really do with finding a local surrogate Dad/Granddad with woodworking skills to learn from!

StottC":ejxlba7x said:
There's a few guys over the pond that I really like:

WWMM (Woodworking for Mere Mortals) - Steve Ramsey, some great videos but a little cringey at times.

Found him the right side of entertaining and informative if at times a little too "inyerface" when he was just a regular bloke but find his newer, largely infomercials less useful.

Here's another few English woodworkers that haven't been mentioned.
Mitch Peacock
Andy Lovelock
Simon James
Peter Sefton
Andrew Lawton
Alan Peters
I would have thought these guys would have came up before the thread got a bit off topic, referencing the continental woodworkers.
Tom

One more UK site for the list is Susan Gardener

I enjoy her videos and going along for the journey, mostly guitar building but her series on building a thickness sander was very good

sammy.se":2dnwck0d said:
rafezetter":2dnwck0d said:
Shame on all of you... Steve Maskery.
Yes, but we need MORE of Steve!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

No. :wink: Too technical. On his latest video he mentions an MFT table and MRMDF. That might mean something to an experienced woodworker but I had to look up MFT table and think about what MRMDF stood for as I have never used it. No more abbreviations, please.

Sawdust=manglitter":269196ru said:
I am subscribed to Manor Wood, but i do find myself cringing a bit sometimes, particularly when his lovely Felder bandsaw gets abused (the bearings spark like crazy!)

I've taken a look at his videos and rather than bearings he uses ceramic guide bushes on his bandsaw. I have exactly the same set up and some sparking is pretty much inevitable, it looks far worse on a video than in real life!

custard":d9chc2g7 said:
I've taken a look at his videos and rather than bearings he uses ceramic guide bushes on his bandsaw. I have exactly the same set up and some sparking is pretty much inevitable, it looks far worse on a video than in real life!

I stand corrected, thanks Custard. One of his videos a few months ago he was ripping a long board on the bandsaw and there was a constant stream of sparks and (even if it is to be expected) it did not look right at all :shock: I was cringing as if I was the one in pain

Personally I don't watch too many woodworking YT vids, only if I'm actually looking for a specific thing. My main ones are machinist related - abom79, keith rucker and steve summers.

Jeremy Broun very occasionally puts out an interesting video.

When he's not claiming to have invented the router or exclaiming about how innovative he is, that is.

Back