Favorite YouTube woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OscarG":2pwrsk01 said:
If you're into Luthier 'tubers, may I recommend Highline Guitars on youtube, he's very good.

Also Jason Beam on Youtube. He's a bit of an oddball and waffles a bit but he has a 39 part acoustic guitar build complete with mistakes.

sellers has the right to be opinionated he's been a working craftsman where it's actually his living unlike most teachers and he really knows what he's talking about, no fakeness at all, he's genuine and being himself, that's why it works and so many others fail, you have to be authentic, people can see through snake oil and bodgers who aren't really craftsmen. There's a saying I really like 'silence is better than bulls**t'

thetyreman":25nhvfu2 said:
....... people can see through snake oil and bodgers who aren't really craftsmen. There's a saying I really like 'silence is better than bulls**t'

Ah, you're talking about Wood by Wright. He does some of the worst handtool demonstrations you could hope to see. His carving is joyously awful. It's so bad it makes compulsive viewing. The thing is, he is pleasant and enthusiastic, so his devotees must just overlook his poor skills to enjoy half an hour in his company whilst he ruins some wood. He has a huge audience.

MikeG.":2xg6wd34 said:
thetyreman":2xg6wd34 said:
....... people can see through snake oil and bodgers who aren't really craftsmen. There's a saying I really like 'silence is better than bulls**t'

Ah, you're talking about Wood by Wright. He does some of the worst handtool demonstrations you could hope to see. His carving is joyously awful. It's so bad it makes compulsive viewing. The thing is, he is pleasant and enthusiastic, so his devotees must just overlook his poor skills to enjoy half an hour in his company whilst he ruins some wood. He has a huge audience.

I watched one of his live videos sometime before/after Christmas (can remember) where he did some weird variation of a blind dovetail. It was one of the most cringe inducing things I've seen. Halfway trough things were going wrong, he was rushing and getting stressed.
I, strangely, found myself not being able to stop watching. Bit like the 'proverbial' car crash. Probably explains the large audience.

The joint he was doing was pretty pointless. More time consuming and difficult than a blind dovetail without the strength of a dovetail. End result wasnt good.

MikeG.":31f0vbbv said:
thetyreman":31f0vbbv said:

I wasn't talking about wood by wright specifically no, I'm not going to name them, there are worse ones than him. (hammer)

Don't really do videos. Bit of a weird comment on this thread I suppose. *Awkward silence.... :oops: ....
When I do it's topical. I search summat specific. At this moment its Thien baffles. I love the internet for that. Hello Knowledge!
I'm subscribed to a fair few like Peter M, Chris T, Steve of the Knightly Order of the Bandsaw of course. I just don't watch a lot. Maybe I just like to mess things up on my own with no one else to blame?!?
However I am an occasional fan of the English Woodworker. No nonsense. And as CChappie says, Bill Carter. Both people strike me as fellas I'd enjoy having a pint with like the first few names. Just seem like regular fellas. That's the appeal to me of any online video. I need to see it's genuine.
Ah yeh, one more.
This fella. Recommended on here recently. This guy is very watchable to me (sometimes there are subtitles. :D ). He reminds me to stop faffing about and make the cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVV4-HzZZPw

Most of the current crop of UToobers make me 'click away' with five seconds, but this sort of stuff from Japan is amazing and there's plenty more as well - Rob

There's this guy: Bradshaw Joinery.
His videography is far from great aesthetically and otherwise, but he is an actual professional joiner showing how to do joinery the traditional way and giving useful tips along the way.
A far cry from the majority of YT videos on plugging some dominoes, using track saws and gluing end grain with PVA

UK ones, the usual crowd, all already mentioned, plus a plug for the Measuring up podcast,
If you haven’t seen or heard of a guy in Japan, Ishitani furniture, then do have a look, fantastic furniture, great setting, and best of all no chat or annoying background muzak,

SteveB43":1mrm8ck1 said:
UK ones, the usual crowd, all already mentioned, plus a plug for the Measuring up podcast,
If you haven’t seen or heard of a guy in Japan, Ishitani furniture, then do have a look, fantastic furniture, great setting, and best of all no chat or annoying background muzak,
Yes ! Big fan of it. And cute dog too !

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Back