Favorite YouTube woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trevanion":3sk5ts28 said:
Jeremy Broun very occasionally puts out an interesting video.

When he's not claiming to have invented the router or exclaiming about how innovative he is, that is.
Just had a look. First video : "why I'm a better cabinetmaker than Thomas Chippendale".
He doesn't have self esteem issues at least..

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Mr Chikadee, on YouTube... not British but great relaxing viewing. No talk, just bird song and long shots of him and his partner doing things like felling and hewing whole trees by hand to build a timber frame house in the Appalachia’s, very cool... as my old boss used to say: “I love hard work. I could watch it all day”

Been mentioned before, but I really like watching Ishitani Furniture and his Korean copycat, Kobeomsuk.

Watching their videos is like meditation, more so Ishitani. I find it extremely calming.

No bloody talking in them, the woodwork speaks for itself. As such they're not exactly How-too's or instructionals, they're just really nice to watch.

I can't stand conventional yootoobas. Set my teeth itching.

Actually, that's not entirely true. I don't work in the same way he works, but I like some of Rob Cosman's early videos. No ego or grandioseness, just honest advice. If he made mistakes during a shoot he would leave them in the final post and not edit them out, which speaks volumes.

Gary.

Quickben":3g1z6aq4 said:
If he made mistakes during a shoot he would leave them in the final post and not edit them out, which speaks volumes.

Don't be daft! We all know with Cosman's new patented laser-guided homing dovetail saw it is impossible to make a single mistake! All for the low low price of $800!

Another vote for Mr Chickadee. No talking, just birdsong and the sound of sharp tools.

If we're broadening the spectrum beyond the British Isles, I quite like these chaps from China (I think):

[youtube]twc9L8IcpPg[/youtube]

No guards on any machines, wearing at best a pair of flip flops... usually barefooted, power feeds all set to fastest setting, no dust extraction, the list goes on! It's pretty much all how you SHOULDN'T run a workshop but they do put out some nice work, Is it the prettiest work? Not by a mile, but it does its job.

[youtube]gR8tOIjYRzg[/youtube]

Theres a ton of Asian documentaries on YT that are about the craft and tradition which are much more interesting than people who seem to be doing YT for likes and to show shiny tools or sponsorship.

I have been watching Ishitani since he started and he does some great stuff.

As for specific UK channels, Mckinley is awesome, Charlesworth, Tribe, Parfitt, Maguire and Sellers. As for the newer channels, my mother always told me that if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing.

Just found this Polish planemaker. Stavros Gakos. Fascinating. No talking, no music. Only watched a couple so far. Will watch the rest of his channel.

[youtube]aoVoY-5s49A[/youtube]

Sounds more likely to be Greek to me but I haven’t seen his videos so can’t be sure. In terms of plane makers I do like Bill Carter’s videos (he’s a really great chap as well to boot). For general woodworking I found Paul Sellers to be the most useful virtual tutor when I was first starting out. Very thorough and orthodox in his woodworking and teaching. I don’t get the bad press that some of the American tubers are getting to be honest. Many of them are informative and entertaining. Not a huge fan of the wood whisperer though. I think he tries too hard to be a cool dude for my liking but each to their own.

memzey":3duo0qzg said:
Sounds more likely to be Greek to me but I haven’t seen his videos so can’t be sure. In terms of plane makers I do like Bill Carter’s videos (he’s a really great chap as well to boot).
I found him from looking at Bill Carter's channel Memzey.
[youtube]dRr0VC4AtFg[/youtube]
'My first infill mitreplane inspired by Bill Carter'

He's definitely Polish as far as I can tell. :wink:
Sometimes names can be misleading for many reasons.
Just the other day for example I saw a guy down my road in a tracksuit carrying a really long pole.
Are you a pole vaulter? I asked him.
No he said in a surprised tone. I'm German. How do you know my name is Walter?!?

:|

Speaking of plane makers. Guiliano, a member here, for those that haven't seen his work.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ac445ab/videos

British guys are abit cringy...

Mike farrington is one of the best guys, large workshop, good sound, good light, works on projects for clients,explains techniques etc.

I cant stand diyers who cant talk to a camera, have a basement shop and make homemade clamps and workshop shelving..

"AKA the boardroom" = cringy in itself.

But i agree about "most" of the british guys. one reminds me of a thunderbirds puppet (guess which?), soo many do it because they think they can get sponsorship from tools companies so they don't need to get a real job.

Bm101":172ufsci said:
He's definitely Polish as far as I can tell.

Yep he’s in Brodnica in Poland.
I don’t really watch much you tube, as soon as I see the length of running time I think that time would be better spent being productive, that & the talk to camera at the start is more often than not a waste of time, perhaps it’s my age :-k :-D

Quickben":jdg24dv2 said:
Been mentioned before, but I really like watching Ishitani Furniture and his Korean copycat, Kobeomsuk.

Watching their videos is like meditation, more so Ishitani. I find it extremely calming.

No bloody talking in them, the woodwork speaks for itself. As such they're not exactly How-too's or instructionals, they're just really nice to watch.

I can't stand conventional yootoobas. Set my teeth itching.

Actually, that's not entirely true. I don't work in the same way he works, but I like some of Rob Cosman's early videos. No ego or grandioseness, just honest advice. If he made mistakes during a shoot he would leave them in the final post and not edit them out, which speaks volumes.

Gary.

This is why I like watching Young Je. Starts with action, no talking, ends with action. Incredible range of projects.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0RV-K ... sEj2h5cPow

Back