extracting mdf dust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am thinking still along the lines of a cyclone and a shop vac with fine filter as an extra for hand p/tools
what do think of this from charnwood
http://www.charnwood.net/ProductDesc.jsp?cat=3&stockref=W691

i could buy use for a while whith my thicknesser whilst i build my cyclone and then use the blower slightly modified to fit ontop of my cyclone, also for the time being i could change the dust bag on top for a cartridge filter or r they called pleated filters.

btw my brother is an electrical technician in a brake manufacturers hes going to ask the advice from their mechanics as they design systems to filter brake lining dust i will post any usefull info

shaun

i am sure that it is an ok machine, but i notice that like all these
machines, it is not really designed for sensible use.

as a practical man i consider the very nature of a dust extractor is
that it collects dust and chippings, then when it comes to
disposal, i can remove the bag easily without creating a large
cloud of the very dust that i have been trying to remove.

also, none of these machines seem to have a plate which goes under the
motor so that when you open and remove the bag, a bunch of dust
does not drop down and explode into your face, or am i just being
to picky?????????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

but again i say buy what you can afford, but check that it is able to do what
you want it to, without throwing the collected dust all over the shop
when you attempt to remove the bags/collectors.

at that point, you wonder whether the designers actually have used them?

paul :wink:

engineer one
the main reason i was looking at this collector is the 2hp motor that comes with it thats the main reason, its also one of the cheapest 2hp machines i have seen around

i am thinking of buying it to butcher it :twisted:

cheers
shaun

ok shaun, but be sure before you spend the money make sure that
the destruction still leaves you with a usable machine.

its a pipper to dismantle something, and then find it won't
work because of something stupid.
(been there got the t shirt, and the egg on my face)

not least because then you can't take it back, and 200 quid is 200 quid.

engineer one
too true 200 is a lot of money if it is to be wasted
but as far as i can see to get adequate filtration in my workshop/shed i think it sgoing to be the best option but i dont want to jump in quite yet i still got a bit of thinking too do

any advice is appreciated

cheers
shaun

You say your workshop is a shed? Can't you build a little ante-shed for a standard dust collector and keep it out of the workshop entirely?

That means you can avoid this whole palaver almost entirely, and can use a bog standard extractor with a non-restrictive non-fine filter, so preserving its ability to shift something vaguely in the region of its CFM spec. Quick, easy, and cheap.

hi jake the main problem i got is my workshop/shed is at the back of my garden which goes to a point (awkward shape) not sure if a one of those types of extractor would fit by the side as dont really have enough room by the side for a lean too like the idea though i mght look into it as another alternative will look ltr 2 c if i can do anything

will try to post some pics so you can c what i mean

cheers

shaun

engineer one":2aduko5o said:
Also, none of these machines seem to have a plate which goes under the
motor so that when you open and remove the bag, a bunch of dust
does not drop down and explode into your face, or am i just being
to picky?????????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes you are! But you're also perfectly correct..... Even small to medium sized commercial units have this self-same design "feature"

Jake":2aduko5o said:
You say your workshop is a shed? Can't you build a little ante-shed for a standard dust collector and keep it out of the workshop entirely?

I like it! An annexe to the workshop :lol: I think that the idea works well so long as you can make-up the lost heat in winter :(

Scrit

Prawnking the Charwood link you post - the problem with that extractor is that it does not have a steel impellor its plastic. The motor will mount OK if you build a stand or wall bracket - the mount will be vertical when the impellor is on the cyclone and you will have to remove the face plate and make a wooden replacement with a larger diameter hole.
Barry

Scrit":6cpbfsm1 said:
I like it! An annexe to the workshop :lol: I think that the idea works well so long as you can make-up the lost heat in winter :(

Can't claim the credit for it - Adam and Tim both have this arrangement I think. It has the fantastic merit of simplicity.

Maybe using radiant heating instead of air heating would help, or just live with a bit of cold while the fans on and until the air heats up again. It isn't like you are sitting still, and this isn't a pro shop where the dust extractor is pretty much on permanently, all day, anyway. In something the size of a shed the air is going to warm up again pretty quickly.

In a previous workshop I actually had a "dust room" where the chip bagger was installed and air was returned through a battery of pleated paper HVA ventilation) filters (the cheapest large filters I could find at the time). That worked quite well with two layers of filters and returned the heat into the workshop to boot - very necessary with around 15,000 cubic feet to heat (1250 ft workshop). Downside is it cost me about 40 square feet of floorspace.

Scrit

Scrit

I can determine no discernible lost heat in the winter (nor indeed lost suction through having doors and windowa closed). It works really well, makes life dust free and much, much quieter.

Cheers

Tim

I have been advised to have a look at this forum as the Camvac name was popping up from time to time and as MD I though it might be interesting to see what information was being banded about and what comments made! Overall I have to say it has been very informative and interesting especially as we are UK manufacturers, there are not so many genuine UK manufacturers left these days and we take a great deal of pride in that.

I guess my greatest concern is with regard to Gardenshed and his comments that I find somewhat controversial. I would have to state that his claims of compensation are unfounded perhaps he has been watch too much TV and been whisked along in compensation culture.

Please let me state now that the Camvac twin motor machines will perform on planner thicknessers, I actually run one on my own Kity (I do the odd bit of woodwork myself) and sure if I push the machine with a 10" wide 3 mm cut of sycamore then I can have some issues from time to time but in normal use the machine performs very very well. Key issues are how you have the machine set up and how you have the ducting arranged ensuring no air leaks and smooth flow.

If anybody has any issues either with extraction in general or a Camvac machine please e mail us, we want happy customers at the end of the day.

Just out of interest all of our machines with 2.5" inlets have NVT cyclonic entry ports as standard making a great improvement on soiling collection and filter cleanliness and we shortly roll the same technology out on machines with 4" inlets as well.

Paul Hendry-Smith

thanks for taking the time and trouble to enter the debate, we are always keen to hear from and learn from manufacturers.

we also hope they will learn from us, and take honest comments in the
spirit in which they are offered.

maybe we can work with you to cover some of the issues we have raised, and provide what we want that complements what you need to sell.

Good to see mfr joining in! My 2 motor vac (not a Camvac) coped quite well directly coupled to a Kity 636 10" planer, but it required frequent cleaning of the big primarycloth filter when eating fine sawdust, or airflow much reduced.

so camvac man
what do u recommend
i think i will probably build a cyclone but i still want a good dust extractor in the mean time for my current tools

thicknesser 100mm port
table saw 32mm port
sliding mitresaw 32mm
variuos hand tools 32mm ports
will buy a band saw
maybe even a lathe

was looking at a trend t30af due to its fine filtration but only has airflow at 116 cfm but does this matter if its at a higher pressure than a cyclone would normally be

would a camvac be able to be used in conjunction with a cyclone?

sorry if my questions seem a bit amateur but i am a newbie :)

i will be more thanhappy to purchase a camvac as long as i can be convinced it will meet the requirements of keeping my workshop clean and free of leathal dust

ps welcome to the forum and its nice to c that we still do manufacture our some british designed products in th uk
cheers
shaun

Prawnking, You'd need a high revving vaccum cleaner like the Trend, for portable circular saw, router router table etc with 32mm ports. Alto (Nilfisk) were on offer at very good price last Nov at the Axminster show, if you can wait till Nov! You'd also need something able to move more air for the table saw and thicknesser. Is the 32mm table saw port on the guard? You'll also need to box in underneath it with some ply. How big is the saw(?) - a 10" saw would need another 100mm diy port there.

If you put 100mm hose on the 100mm ports, to keep the wase moving the usual target is an airflow of ~4000ft/min. In a 100mm/4"pipe that's about 350 cu.ft.min. You could just about get away with a 3 motor Camvac for this, AND the routers etc too, if you wheeled it round from machine to machine, and didn't mind the noise of 3 vac motors. If you get bigger machines later, you'll probably outgrow it.

According to the Rutlands catalogue, they want £600 for a 3 motor Camvac. That looks a lot to me for something you may outgrow. At a guess, you could buy yourself an industial single motor vac for the portables, and bag extractor and have £200 to spend on your cyclone for that kind of money.

ivan":21pc6fji said:
According to the Rutlands catalogue, they want £600 for a 3 motor Camvac. That looks a lot to me for something you may outgrow.

Ouch - looks a lot on any scale. I paid about £350 for mine, which I knew was less than RRP, but not by that much.

Back