endoscope recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the same model may be available on Amazon for £17 (looks like it's got the same manufacturer's item number... but, obviously, you'll need to check it really is the same model). The reviews on Amazon appear to be a bit mixed... but may be worth reading through a few.

Looks like the same model may be available on Amazon for £17 (looks like it's got the same manufacturer's item number... but, obviously, you'll need to check it really is the same model). The reviews on Amazon appear to be a bit mixed... but may be worth reading through a few.
Thanks.
TBH I avoid Amazon having had a few dud deals. Buy from one of their traders and the thing doesn't turn up even though promised a week or so later. Instant refund from Amazon when you complain as though they know it's a bum deal. Check dealer and see loads of bad reviews but still allowed by Amazon.
I think they gamble on some buyers just forgetting and they keep the money.

I have a Depstech WF020x it works with my iPhone and has been great on the occasions I needed it - you can get from Amazon or direct or various other sites - there may be ones with more bells and whistles now - but I got mine a few years back and it still meets my needs..

HTH Padster

It's worthwhile being clear about your needs before buying.
I bought a "wifi ferret" when they first came out. These wireless cameras screw onto standard electricians glass fibre rods for pushing and pulling cables. It has been invaluable for feeding between floor joists to figure out what electrical cables and pumbing run where. Lift one piece of flooring and feed it in. The ferret focusses from about 6" to infinity. So if there's enough light it can see at a distance. If you are really close, everything goes blurry.
Later I picked up one of those generic £50 endoscopes with a screen and 5m snake, 2nd hand.
This focusses very close which I sometimes need, but can't see further than about 6-12" and blurry at that. It's good to have, but the snake is awkward to handle and not as manageable as the electricians rods which come in metre sections, some flexible and some stiff. With these you have more control when you are trying to steer the camera around obstacles 3 or 4 metres away.

These gizmos all have LED lights in them but you can get better images by turning these off and shining a separate lamp if you have the access.

Here are some screen caps from the ferret. Looking in the floor with a lamp and checking the state of the cavity wall ties with the built in LED
2023_09_16_15_55_48_317.png

2023_07_14_20_16_49_891.png

I bought a "wifi ferret" when they first came out. These wireless cameras screw onto standard electricians glass fibre rods for pushing and pulling cables. It has been invaluable for feeding between floor joists to figure out what electrical cables and pumbing run where. Lift one piece of flooring and feed it in. The ferret focusses from about 6" to infinity. So if there's enough light it can see at a distance. If you are really close, everything goes blurry.
Later I picked up one of those generic £50 endoscopes with a screen and 5m snake, 2nd hand.
This focusses very close which I sometimes need, but can't see further than about 6-12" and blurry at that. It's good to have, but the snake is awkward to handle and not as manageable as the electricians rods which come in metre sections, some flexible and some stiff. With these you have more control when you are trying to steer the camera around obstacles 3 or 4 metres away.

These gizmos all have LED lights in them but you can get better images by turning these off and shining a separate lamp if you have the access.

Here are some screen caps from the ferret. Looking in the floor with a lamp and checking the state of the cavity wall ties with the built in LED
View attachment 176687
View attachment 176688
Brilliant, it's another world!

View attachment 176687
View attachment 176688
Ferret looks good https://ferrettools.com/ but a bit pricey for my job. I suppose I could sell it on afterwards
Any recommendations for a cheaper one? The Draper gets bad reviews.
PS Maybe Ferret won't go through holes in an air-brick so they are out anyway.

Tried the Magnusson from Screwfix. Well made tidy bit of kit but hopeless picture and too short range. They have 30 day return policy so it's going back.
Trying @Padster s recommendation next. Depstech WF020x. Longer focus range (7-40cm) and WiFi so sends to my phone, which will be better quality image, if the lens is any good.

Any recommendations for a cheaper one? The Draper gets bad reviews.
PS Maybe Ferret won't go through holes in an air-brick so they are out anyway.
Ferret's too big for air bricks.
I don't know the origin of this as I bought it used, but it looks generic and the picture's good.
Under £50 new I'd say.

And actually the sharpness of distant objects is pretty good as well as being sharp at much closer distances than the first generation ferret.

20240228_171752.jpg

Our cats learnt to drink from mugs.... They have a cuppa like we do :)

20240228_171828.jpg

I bought something that looked very similar to the above, preferred the device to have its own screen rather than rely on a wifi connection while I has head and shoulders down in a manhole pushing the device down the drain.
One I bought had a lens looking forward and a sideways looking one too which may be useful one day.
The 5m cable was very flexible, not an advantage in my situation, I ended up taping it to some plastic trunking which helped with pushing and also keeping it the right way up - I got very confused about which way was up on the screen initially as the cable twisted and spun as it was pushed in.

Back