Are these chair parts commercially available?...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleyheathhays

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an idea for something new that I want to make and if I can find someone who sells these particular parts it would make going into production so much easier. I'll picture them below but the two parts I'm interested in is the leg of an older style chair as well as the top back brace. The leg has a good bend to it and the top brace is 'bent' as well and tapers from the bottom to the top. Any idea where I should start looking to find these parts? Thanks.

PS. Sorry, I kept getting 'file size too large' when I was uploading so I had to cut out most of my pictures to get them to send.

PPS. In the case these parts aren't commercially available how I would go about making them?

crop 1.jpg

crop 2.jpg

Last edited:
A chair manufacturing factory? But the cost would most likely be prohibitive
Depending on how many you need buy some used chairs and reuse these parts
Ask a local wood/joinery shop for a price

Best source of these parts, in fact the only source, would be from old furniture.
If you want to get into it maybe start by learning some woodwork and repairing old furniture?

Charity shop/warehouse place perhaps, buy a chair or two and rip apart for your prototype. If nothing come of it, at least the charity gets a few ££.

I have an idea for something new that I want to make and if I can find someone who sells these particular parts it would make going into production so much easier. I'll picture them below but the two parts I'm interested in is the leg of an older style chair as well as the top back brace. The leg has a good bend to it and the top brace is 'bent' as well and tapers from the bottom to the top. Any idea where I should start looking to find these parts? Thanks.

PS. Sorry, I kept getting 'file size too large' when I was uploading so I had to cut out most of my pictures to get them to send.

PPS. In the case these parts aren't commercially available how I would go about making them?

View attachment 179340

View attachment 179341
image file sizes (quality) can be altered using many different image editors. I use a free one called IrfanView, available on the internet. You can take a mulyi-million pixel image and reduce it to just Kb, ideal for sending out. I tend to reduce my images to 6x4 or 8x8 depening on the picture format. Keep the original for stock.

Unless you are at the top end of the market, making dining chairs became something that wasn't worth bothering with, Years ago the stripped-pine shops used to buy in cheap unfinished Beech chairs from somewhere like Slovenia. There was no way anyone could compete on price.

They are still around now , although a little dearer. And to be honest they aren't too badly made. On the downside they are a little 'clunky in design and the seat is made up of glued together blocks. I believe the firm was called ETAK RIAHC.

Unless you are at the top end of the market, making dining chairs became something that wasn't worth bothering with, Years ago the stripped-pine shops used to buy in cheap unfinished Beech chairs from somewhere like Slovenia. There was no way anyone could compete on price.

They are still around now , although a little dearer. And to be honest they aren't too badly made. On the downside they are a little 'clunky in design and the seat is made up of glued together blocks. I believe the firm was called ETAK RIAHC.
CHAIR KATE?

CHAIR KATE?
Ha! ha!, my mistake - could well be the name of the design, since I don't speak the lingo, :LOL:

I still have one of them in my workshop that I was meant to repair for a dealer - though in the end he told me to keep it as it wasn't cost effective.

Just had a quick look at the name stamp under the seat, which has only partially printed, so no help in confirming the identification.

Ha! ha!, my mistake - could well be the name of the design, since I don't speak the lingo, :LOL:

I still have one of them in my workshop that I was meant to repair for a dealer - though in the end he told me to keep it as it wasn't cost effective.

Just had a quick look at the name stamp under the seat, which has only partially printed, so no help in confirming the identification.
That was simply the letters backwards. I don’t think it’s a Slavic language. Being dyslexic I can read forwards and backwards 😀

View attachment 179340

View attachment 179341
This might just be the first time since I registered here when my origin can actually be helpful.

In the second decade of the 20th Century, Communist Romania under Ceausescu became a world leading supplier of furniture.
Ceausescu had this habit of taking everything he liked from history and from his visits abroad and rccreating them in the more effective and cheaper communist way.

Such chairs were manufactured here by millions I believe. Even today chances are to find such chairs in most households at the countryside where older people live. What you are looking for was inspired by the Thonet chairs as well as other bentwood chairs. Most of the chairs were made from beech but some had a plywood seat. Others were fully from beech. All that I've seen had dark stains applied and generous layers of varnish.

In 2022 I restored some chairs for a nostalgic customer, I will browse through the restoration, see if I can find some photos of those looking like yours. I'll probably be able to provide you with more information on these chairs if you need, maybe even technical drawings although it's possible that they all got destroyed. I keep in touch with some old furniture makers. Just let me know what you need.

Brad

Back