Email sorted. Anti-virus advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some help with my email. I am currently running Microsoft outlook, through my office 2003. I had a problem the other day when it would fail to open. That problem appears to have been sorted, however I am left with emails from the future. My inbox folder when in date order starts with Beyond next month, next month, three weeks away etc as it runs down in date order. How do I rectify this?

Spoke too soon, it now only opens when I first log on.

Try selecting "Detect and Repair" from the help menu.

You should be at something like edition (11.8217.8221) SP3 from the "About box" if you have all the updates installed.

Check you have the correct month set. Double click on the time in the system tray. I had the same problem with outlook and eventually found that was the problem.

Aldel

CHJ":281yd2ex said:
Try selecting "Detect and Repair" from the help menu.

You should be at something like edition (11.8217.8221) SP3 from the "About box" if you have all the updates installed.

Tried "detect and repair" twice and still having problems in opening the email.

aldel":tskbg9di said:
Check you have the correct month set. Double click on the time in the system tray. I had the same problem with outlook and eventually found that was the problem.

Aldel

Sorted Thanks

Looks like detect and repair has installed a new outlook program. Still will not open and address book content and emails are gone. Can they be recovered from somewhere?

Hi Gary.
Have a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

I don't know what your level of knowledge is and don't mean to insult your intelligence, but if you do a search on your "C" drive for .pst files, you should find your Outlook files.
You can then import them into any new version of Outlook, or just copy them into the new storage folder over any existing files.

HTH

Jim

Thanks for that, I've manage to retrieve the old files now. The only problem I am left with is the actual running of the email. I can open it up when I first log onto the PC, however if I shut the program down I cannot re open it. Anyone know how to rectify this?

Yes it's office outlook and won't open from the start up menu or mail button.

Gary":vvp215sq said:
Yes it's office outlook and won't open from the start up menu or mail button.

Perhaps there is an entry somewhere that is not clearing (changing status) when you shut down outlook and the program thinks it is still running when you try to re-open it. (or it is not closing just the window is closing)

Before you shut down Outlook.

Try: >Control>Alt>Del and look in Task Manager for Outlook.EXE

Now shut down Outlook and see if Outlook.EXE disappears from the Task Manager Box.

EDIT: See Here if this helps: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm

You are not by any chance running Norton AV (email scanning) are you?
Does Outlook Express open and close normally?

CHJ":1g6yk5lo said:
You are not by any chance running Norton AV (email scanning) are you?
Does Outlook Express open and close normally?

Running Norton AV and took an update last week.

Outlook express works ok, just not office outlook and that would be the preferred option to use.

Tried what has been suggested shut down and reopened it twice and now I have the same problem. Outlook has gone from the task manager however I don't think it' fully closed as the CPU usage varies between 2 and 15%

Can you go back to a system restore point before your norton update?

Worst case un-install Norton, (Not an easy task though it has a habit of leaving a lot of junk still clutching your system) and see if the problem clears.

You can always reinstall Norton assuming you have the Key/licence info. recorded.

I tried a system restore last night and it didn't accept it.

Gary":1gr9ka7q said:
I tried a system restore last night and it didn't accept it.

Do you mean that the restore point would not load, or that it made no difference to Outlook.

Latest posts

Back