Email sorted. Anti-virus advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chas

I have removed Norton and surprise, the outlook now works. What made you think it would have been that? I guess I'm not the first one it has happened to that you know about.

Due to a recent house move I cannot find my Norton disc and licence number. (Just a thought now I could have download it as they have my licence registered) However I have installed the free copy of AVG and all seems ok. This is running with windows firewall.

Any members know if I should be using anything else in addition to this?

Gary":2feb70bx said:
Chas

I have removed Norton and surprise, the outlook now works. What made you think it would have been that? I guess I'm not the first one it has happened to that you know about.

.....?

That's because Norton is a CoS :evil:

You've got the free version of Zone Alarm installed I assume?

Gary":jfeyd8ks said:
Chas

Due to a recent house move I cannot find my Norton disc and licence number. (Just a thought now I could have download it as they have my licence registered) However I have installed the free copy of AVG and all seems ok. This is running with windows firewall.

Any members know if I should be using anything else in addition to this?

Norton has a habit of screwing up systems in my experience and no you were not the only one with that problem post Norton updates.

Another problem that often occurs is that repair attempts that load an older version of a program (from a CD for instance) can then leave you with conflicting file (.dll's and the like) version numbers registered in the registry which windows accepts as being current status and does not see the need to replace/repair.

Are you on Broad Band? if so do you use a modem or a router.
A router with a built in firmware firewall gives you better protection.

Be careful running Zone Alarm on machines connected to a home router or network, in my experience you can get a whole host of conflicts with permissions and access restrictions that can be a devil to sort out unless you are well versed in the subject.

Yeah I'm on orange broadband which was formally wanado and I'm running it on their router. The router itself is a couple of years old.

Back