ELU Router Questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
I inherited a fair few tools from my dad when he passed away, and one of them was an ELU MOF96/02 Mk2. I've used it quite a few times and it seems to be a really well built machine. I have a couple of questions though, and would be grateful if anyone could help out.

Question 1:
See pic.
What's this, and how does it work? Is it even for use with the router (maybe it's for something completely different!). It looks like some sort of fine adjustment device, but I already have a fine adjuster (Like this) and know how that works.

Question 2:
Does anyone know the dimensions and thread count of the threaded bars that fit into depth stop turret? Mine are missing and while I realise you can buy them for hyper-inflated prices, I'd rather cut my own if possible, rather than get price gouged to hell!

Thx
Simon

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 03.40.40.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 03.40.40.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 167
Its a repeatable depth stop for when you have to make a lot of cuts .
The turret rotates and can be set along with the fine tuning depth stop to give you three instantly available depths of cut.

He knows what it is, he wants to know the thread. I can't see it would be anything out of the ordinary.
I know someone will pipe up oh, I use them every day - but I've owned my large router for 26 years and I've never adjusted them just used a fixed one against the slide on the other side which is adjustable anyway. I'd think you'd need one adjustable and one fixed at most, I can't think why anyone would need three ... but the holes are already there, so you'd just as well use them.

In picture 2 is a side fence adjusting arrangement. It screws into the side of the base and the black ( nut) goes into the fence so you can fine adjust the fence
Ian

sunnybob":2bape37x said:
Its a repeatable depth stop for when you have to make a lot of cuts .
The turret rotates and can be set along with the fine tuning depth stop to give you three instantly available depths of cut.

As Philip said, I knew this bit. It doesn't help that the pictures are the opposite way around to the questions - sorry about that!

phil.p":2rekb5b7 said:
He knows what it is, he wants to know the thread. I can't see it would be anything out of the ordinary.
I know someone will pipe up oh, I use them every day - but I've owned my large router for 26 years and I've never adjusted them just used a fixed one against the slide on the other side which is adjustable anyway. I'd think you'd need one adjustable and one fixed at most, I can't think why anyone would need three ... but the holes are already there, so you'd just as well use them.

Hi Phil, the link I included about the fine adjustment knob (this is not the thing in my own uploaded picture – maybe I should have split this into two posts to avoid confusion!) says "thread the end of the fine height adjuster onto the longest screw". I've only got one really short screw in the turret, so as I have the fine adjuster, I think maybe I should have at least the short one for regular work, and the longer one if I want to use the adjuster.

I should probably just (reluctantly) cough up the cash for the longest screw and nut then, but meh! It's £7.71 with delivery – am I just being cheap or would that hurt anyone else for such a small thing.

DigitalM":3hn05601 said:
I've used it quite a few times and it seems to be a really well built machine.

I'd agree with that. Towards the end, when production moved from Switzerland to Italy, a few cost saving measures like Chinese bearings crept into the design. And I don't think anyone would argue that Elu ever cracked gold standard dust collection, but these quibbles aside an Elu router in good condition is still a better tool than almost any other router ever made. In particular the precision of the plunge mechanism and the almost complete absence of run out are pretty remarkable. I know a number of extremely top end cabinet makers who will only trust Elu when it comes to those critical operations where one slip can see hundreds of hours of work go down the toilet.

You should look after that machine, with care one day your son or daughter will enjoy using it too.

Good luck!

DigitalM":3kkb14dk said:
phil.p":3kkb14dk said:

Hi Phil, the link I included about the fine adjustment knob (this is not the thing in my own uploaded picture – maybe I should have split this into two posts to avoid confusion!) says "thread the end of the fine height adjuster onto the longest screw". I've only got one really short screw in the turret, so as I have the fine adjuster, I think maybe I should have at least the short one for regular work, and the longer one if I want to use the adjuster.

I should probably just (reluctantly) cough up the cash for the longest screw and nut then, but meh! It's £7.71 with delivery – am I just being cheap or would that hurt anyone else for such a small thing.
I would just get 2x 4mm thread machine screws and nuts and use those.

The multi position turret is most useful if you are routing deep, as you can reliably take smaller steps. I usually only use it when the router isn't in a table, but then use all 3.

The fine adjustment for me is limited to use with the ELU dove tail jig.

I may have a spare turret with the adjusters (I have a box of spare Elu bits, which I knew would be handy one day). I will not be home until Friday, but if you can wait until then I'll have a look & let you know. You're welcome to them for the cost of postage.

As an aside I cannot believe the prices that good Elu routers sell for these days, sometimes the same price as a brand new Dewalt/Trend equivalent, but the Elu's are at least 15 years old! I have 4 & I will not be letting them go in a hurry!

Phil1975":nzppr2fr said:
I may have a spare turret with the adjusters (I have a box of spare Elu bits, which I knew would be handy one day). I will not be home until Friday, but if you can wait until then I'll have a look & let you know. You're welcome to them for the cost of postage.

As an aside I cannot believe the prices that good Elu routers sell for these days, sometimes the same price as a brand new Dewalt/Trend equivalent, but the Elu's are at least 15 years old! I have 4 & I will not be letting them go in a hurry!

Hi Phil, that would be great. Much appreciated.

custard":nh4zx54x said:
DigitalM":nh4zx54x said:

I'd agree with that. Towards the end, when production moved from Switzerland to Italy, a few cost saving measures like Chinese bearings crept into the design. And I don't think anyone would argue that Elu ever cracked gold standard dust collection, but these quibbles aside an Elu router in good condition is still a better tool than almost any other router ever made. In particular the precision of the plunge mechanism and the almost complete absence of run out are pretty remarkable. I know a number of extremely top end cabinet makers who will only trust Elu when it comes to those critical operations where one slip can see hundreds of hours of work go down the toilet.

You should look after that machine, with care one day your son or daughter will enjoy using it too.

Good luck!

Wot he said

My first router was an Elu MOF96E - it also had a really nice bench top router table arrangement ideal for smaller mouldings etc.

I now have a full set of Festool routers - all fine - but I still wonder if I did the right thing in selling the MOF96E.

Cheers

Phil1975":2p0vj2oq said:

I forgot to mention, I'm giving the router a simple service and cleanup, which was why I raised this question. One of the reasons I want to get replacements for the missing two screws is that the unfilled bores provide a conduit for dust, which plug them up pretty solidly. I've taken the turret off, degummed all the MDF and Ply residue (yeah,yeah, I don't get to play with exotics much!) and cleaned everything up and reassembled. Everything clicks beautifully. Even the silly little turret thing feels like more of a precision instrument than anything found on my other tools. They must have worked to really fine tolerances, and really knew how to make simple things work well. I'm sure it could have been done more simply (i.e. cheaper) and perhaps even be better designed with hindsight, but isn't it great how you can see craftsmanship and care in even a little part like that.

custard":2z53z7yl said:
DigitalM":2z53z7yl said:

And I don't think anyone would argue that Elu ever cracked gold standard dust collection, but these quibbles aside an Elu router in good condition is still a better tool than almost any other router ever made. In particular the precision of the plunge mechanism and the almost complete absence of run out are pretty remarkable. I know a number of extremely top end cabinet makers who will only trust Elu when it comes to those critical operations where one slip can see hundreds of hours of work go down the toilet.

Agree with the general praise for Elu kit; it was the Festool (not that I have any Festool, just four Elus!) of its day. But not true that they never cracked the gold standard for dust collection. When I got an OF97, just couldn't believe where all the dust went - practically nothing escapes. I think if I could only keep one, it would be the OF97, but would hate to part with either the 96 or the two 144s.

I still have my Mof 96E, didn't look but pretty sure it's Mk 2 and the M4 threads didn't sound right so checked and mine are definitely M5 threads. Checked with calipers and I took one out, tried the nut on an M5 bolt and the bolt in the turret..

I wouldn't part with my router even though I have a DeWalt 625 and a Makita palm kit.

Since I have cannibalised an Elu for parts to fix a DeWalt,I would think the reverse might be possible.I agree with the praise for the quality of the Elu products,turning them yellow didn't upgrade the quality at all.

Latest posts

Back