Elu MOF96/02 Router Motor Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just inherited my fathers woodworking tools and machines. Part of these is an Elu MOF96/02 hand held router. I came to plug it in yesterday and found that at first it just buzzed but didn't actually rotate. I then helped it along and now it turns freely but only runs at about half capacity and the motor has no torque at all. I have checked the bearings and they seem to be running smoothly, there is no sparking or any electrical burning smell. Not sure what is wrong with it. Any ideas as to what might be wrong with it? Many thanks in advance.

Could be an issue with the brushes or dirt inbetween the sectors the bushes make contact with.
I have blown out the router with compressed air and have to say quite a lot of dust came out, black dust to boot. Would you suggest taking the machine apart and wire brushing between the coms on the commutator?

I wouldn't use a wire brush on a commutator. There's a risk of damaging the wiring and a risk of particles of the brush shorting out segments. Tooth brush maybe between the segments and glass fibre brush on the conducting surfaces.

I have blown out the router with compressed air and have to say quite a lot of dust came out, black dust to boot. Would you suggest taking the machine apart and wire brushing between the coms on the commutator?
The best way is not to wire brush but use a knife between each segment to clear out dust & carbon from the brushes - it’s how my dad was taught to refurbish starter motors as an apprentice in the late 1940’s

The best way is not to wire brush but use a knife between each segment to clear out dust & carbon from the brushes - it’s how my dad was taught to refurbish starter motors as an apprentice in the late 1940’s
Thank you for your advice, I am just watching a YouTube video on how to get the router apart. I will then do as you have suggested and then let you know how it has gone. Thank you to all who have responded to my question. Much appreciated.

If it's the 96E then the pcb board in the top of the casing can fail, mine was doing exactly what yours does a few years ago, I fiddled with it sprayed it with electrical cleaner and then a sealant spray and it's worked since, you have to be careful as it's delecate but I think you can still get the part.

Back