electric oven failure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
Have inherited a fancy cooker Cuisinemaster cs90f530 but the turkey sized lower oven doesn't work. No light, no nothing, Everything else OK
What would be the most likely cause to look for first?

Last edited:
If you have a multimeter and can use it safely on mains voltages I'd firstly whip the back off it and check that mains is present on the main elements when powered up and expecting it to heat up. If alive but no heat then the element is likely blown.
If no power the next port of call would be the thermostat - usually this is a thermocouple so a small box maybe 20-30mm square and a metal 'wire' running from it and into the -usually ceiling of the oven - these have a habit of going open cct but are difficult to measure as the actual sense voltage is of the order of millivolts that most DMM's can't measure - but on the box into which the thermocouple enters there should be contacts that do the heavier switching of the element cct.
Obviously there are lots of interlocks and other stuff it could be -like the digital timer but without a diagram of the oven it's hard to know what you might find.
The element and thermocouple would be my goto's in terms of most likely culprits...
Good Luck!

had a cheapo valor about 25 years no probs --- swapped out for a fancy/pricey smeg -- main oven element failed about 1 week after warrantee ran out.

I might add that in my experience they are way more complicated than you'd think and my current oven a 13y old Bosch double/built-in was not designed to be worked on easily - spaghetti style wiring where to access anything you had to disconnect cables in the way, and lots of snap-fit spade connectors the required pliers to tease them off. Mine had a support bracket that supported the front half of the grill element had corroded through and rather than replace the element I self-tapped a small strap to it - it was a 'mare to access anything inside perhaps a picture may illustrate it.
Also I'd advise to take lots of photos before you start pulling anything apart it will help you to hopefully reassemble after...!
20211121_130225.jpg

Well that’s a bummer 3 days before the big day, suggest you go American with an oil drum full of oil over a camping ring ——outside!! Don’t forget to attach string to pull it out with. Fried Turkey is remarkably good btw. I was really really surprised.
Edit, sorry that wasn’t helpful as I just cannot imagine you doing it. My other thought is to get on Marketplace quick and buy a cooker from someone ripping out a kitchen. You could cook in it in the garage? Cookers don’t use much power and usually plug in.
Ian

had a cheapo valor about 25 years no probs --- swapped out for a fancy/pricey smeg -- main oven element failed about 1 week after warrantee ran out.
We had Smeg previously. That had major burnout of PCB, fire hazard in fact, which was difficult to replace as the cooker was 6 years old already!
Came 2 weeks later and expensive - £120 ish ISTR. Pity really as it was a nice cooker with 5 induction hobs. Never again.
In the old days a cooker would last one or two generations.

We have induction hobs for toddler safety, although probably also old fart safety... Expensive AEG thing, but has an intermittent fault whereby the bottom fan stays on forever. Had two callouts, but there's no logical faultfinding, just change something and go away. Oh, and the call centre don't tell the engineer what the problem is, so they won't have any relevant parts, and they don't seem to keep any records as to what was changed by the last bloke...
None of which helps Jacob cook his goose, I know..

People went for years with fires before everyone went oven crazy- sure you’ll figure it out.

Jacob, sorry to hear of your woes. Isn't 'Are all the items working perfectly' one of the questions your solicitor will have asked in 'Enquiries Before Contract' ? Doesn't hget the turkey cookedm I know, but surely some recompense from the seller?

Common cause is the timer not being set, the manual should give more details. Hope it's as simple as that ! :)
Spot on!
For some crazy reason you have to set the timer for the main oven before it will work! :mad: The other two just turn on and off and you have to use your own watch or clock to time them.
Silly me, should have read the manual first!
There's no way you could work it out without the manual though, except by luck. It's hardly a labour saving device and it's another potential fail mechanism. Have been here before with another machine and had to google for instructions on how to bypass the timer.
I really miss simple on/off switches!

Last edited:
Recently installed a new built in oven for my friend as the old one had gone bang suddenly . Did my basic checks with multi meter - 240 at the connection point in the wall and 240 at the oven terminal strip -job done !! Pushed it home and turned it on nothing - no lights , no new oven burning smell and no fans .. removed and rechecked all good . Was about to tell her it must be faulty and to return it when I inadvertently turned the timer on and of course it suddenly jumped into life . I later discovered a manual position for the timer 😤😤😤 modern appliances eh !!

Morning, Jacob...
Had a Christmas with an oven on the blink a good few years ago....funny now, but not then! At least you're sorted.
Eat, drink and be merry, squire!

Machines definitely know the best times to go belly up to cause us humans the most grief. I had my boiler PCB go phutt on Christmas Eve at about 6pm a few years ago, and a freezer that decided on similar timing a couple of years before that. Glad you got it sorted out Jacob, have a lovely Christmas :)

Glad setting the timer resolved this - and Paulm for calling it out! My oven is the same - it won't turn on if the clock hasn't been set from it's power-on flashing state
It doesn't matter what time you set it - I think it's a safety feature so that if you have a power outage whilst on a timed and potentially unattended oven cycle schedule that the oven will not potentially turn back on when power is restored with some indeterminate finish time - the clocks don't have any battery back up so no prior settings are maintained..!

You don't get a manual with cars now - apparently. Bought a 1 year old Toyota C-HR and had to google to find out how to turn the heated steering wheel off!

You do, but they're online PDF files.

Just as well, as the one for my Auris is 640 pages and the SatNav / Entertainment Centre is 292 o_O

Latest posts

Back