Duckboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks, I'd like to make some wooden duck boards, essentially a grid to stand on, for a shower cubicle.
Is there any wood which will stand up to repeated soaking without rotting? Or should I forget the whole idea?

I would second the use of Teak and Iroko. though Afromosia, - if you can get it - is also a good alternative. Your only problem, really, is how you are going to fasten the strips of wood together Marine grade stainless screws, or brass are probably going to be your best bet

Probably better half lap jointed with waterproof glue rather than screws.
I would second the use of laps, or partial laps to give rigidity to the structure. However reliance on glue being truly waterproof is a big ask. This could be quite a challenging environment for any glue - hot water, partial immersion and a power shower, will put any waterproof claims to the test.

Whatever you choose, would it benefit from having say 2mm rubber or plastic pads under it? That would lift it above the base of the shower so the underside is never immersed in water for longer than the person is showering and speed up drying.

Nice as it would look to start with have a think about how practical it is. Unless you have house servants I think the general cleaning & maintenance will become a bit of a chore.
Regards
John

Thanks all, I have some teak that my father had when I was a boy, it must be 60 years old at least, I'll also look at the plastic thing, but our shower tray is German manufacture and of a size that you don't regularly see.
Appreciate the input, thanks again.

If you can find any - probably second hand, the timber which the Romans used for bridge piers which lasted 2000 years standing in water was ELM. We destroyed much of ours because of Dutch Elm Disease, but the French, and possibly other countries, converted a lot of theirs for use.

Folks, I'd like to make some wooden duck boards, essentially a grid to stand on, for a shower cubicle.
Is there any wood which will stand up to repeated soaking without rotting? Or should I forget the whole idea?
Don't use wood.

Opepe and greenheart are used for piers and dockyard gates where the wood is under water

I would have thought any old wood would do, I would be looking at the type of stuff kitchen gear used to be made of, clothes airers or washboards etc, its untreated and dries white. When youve finished showering you would want to stand the board up on its edge to both wash down the tray and the board would dry quite quickly,,my guess would be it would last for ever,,beech perhaps?
Steve

There are two aspects at play here, with the selection of the wood. One is that it should be perform well in wet conditions = the other is that is should be kind to ones feet with, which it will be in contact .,

Greenheart, Opepe, and to an extent Afromosia certainly perform well in wet conditions, but Greenheart especially, has a really bad reputation regarding splinters that turn septic.

I think that Teak is a good compromise candidate here, though Bamboo seems to be used for lots of bathroom bits and pieces . Providing , of course you can get large enough sections to work with

Last edited:
I can't advise re the wood species to use (or not)? But re waterproof glue, a GOOD quality slow-dry 2 part epoxy will definitely do the job, and will in all probability outlast the wood in the situation you describe.

Examples: Araldite (the original), needs at least 24 hours to fully cure and is then impervious to just about anything short of a nuclear holocaust. Or West Systems - similar comments to the above except usually a bit quicker to cure (but check the specs before buying, there are several different formulations for different applications). And another down side - both relatively are expensive (but you won't need a lot).

BTW: It often surprises me how often many people on here have doubts about "glue" (various) in various applications. IME, most people who experience glue joint failures have either A) got gaps that are too big in their joints; and/or have failed in the scrupulous cleaning before glue up bit (e.g. ALL dust, moisture, oil - including finger prints - etc, etc - GONE)!

Aside: If you haven't already done so, the next time you fly away on holiday it will be in an airliner that has, to a large extent, been "glued together", mainly using 2-part epoxy VERY similar to the above. Despite what you may read in the news (e.g. Boeing 737 Max) structural failure due to "glue failure" is virtually unknown these days, unless due to a QC oversight during manufacture or external "aggravation" of some type (like getting bashed by a baggage trolley while on the ground).

Back