Double or single glaze door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":1zj4x3tr said:
Jacob":1zj4x3tr said:
.......Obviously the expensive concrete building would have lower bills - but at what building cost compared to the other?........

And that, ladies and gentleman, is what moving goalposts look like. We've gone from "thermal mass requires spare energy" or something, to "thermal mass costs more.
Nope . Goal posts fixed. Both are true.
Thermal mass doesn't help with heating except as a store of surplus energy - as a buffer. Otherwise it's easier to just turn it down or off rather than heating up a lump of concrete or a tonne of water. n.b. biomass boilers are efficient in a controlled energy cycle which need the buffer, they don't work on demand, but the buffer does. Similarly with sunlight - it's never there when you want it (cold dark night etc :shock: ) hence the thermal mass as a buffer.
Thermal mass costs more than no thermal mass.

OscarG":tt7t7s9p said:
These 4 pages are pretty much a microcosm of that BBC thread.

EXACTLY!!!! Even if the face of someone who is clearly an expert, Jacob thinks with a bit of googling he can outdo them!

Peterm1000":2axct87w said:
OscarG":2axct87w said:
These 4 pages are pretty much a microcosm of that BBC thread.

EXACTLY!!!! Even if the face of someone who is clearly an expert, Jacob thinks with a bit of googling he can outdo them!

It's called trolling, Peter. But then you probably knew that ! :lol:

1. Make a wild statement on subject.
2. Have it comprehensively dismantled by someone infinitely more knowledgeable on that subject.
3. Dig heels in, double down on already disproven statement, come back with hastily googled content.

(Rinse and repeat ) x 99999999999999 = BBC thread

:wink:

Haven't made a wild statement, haven't seen one dismantled.
So where have I got it wrong then?
n.b. It's a subject I'm particularly interested in and have been for years. Not just off the top of my head.
Also it's better if you point out where I'm wrong rather than just criticising me - it suggests you don't really know what you are talking about. Par for the course with Oscar and Roger - have you joined their merry little band? :lol: :lol:

Jacob":300aagss said:
Haven't made a wild statement, haven't seen one dismantled.
So where have I got it wrong then?
n.b. It's a subject I'm particularly interested in and have been for years. Not just off the top of my head.
Also it's better if you point out where I'm wrong rather than just criticising me - it suggests you don't really know what you are talking about. Par for the course with Oscar and Roger - have you joined their merry little band? :lol: :lol:

Jacob, life is too short to waste any time even attempting to reason/discuss anything with you as history shows how you move the goalposts whenever you're getting boxed into a corner and your 'argument' has been ripped to shreds with facts.

Jacob, I genuinely believe you are the brightest man I've ever known. You google stuff and your an expert, you seem to have the ability to do this with all sorts. You know all about everything which is truely amazing.
I met a bloke down the boozer once, he was the same, funny everyone else thought he was a right tool, they likened him to a Monkey, which confused me. Apparently it was because to start with he was quite an amusing little chap, but as he got to know more and more and climb the tree of knowledge higher and higher, in the end all you could see was a tiny *******.

doctor Bob":ej2eg2k3 said:
Jacob, I genuinely believe you are the brightest man I've ever known. You google stuff and your an expert, you seem to have the ability to do this with all sorts. You know all about everything. I met a bloke down the boozer once, he was the same, funny everyone else thought he was a right tool.
Rightho. Any questions? :lol: :lol:

Jacob":3ochjjkr said:
doctor Bob":3ochjjkr said:
Jacob, I genuinely believe you are the brightest man I've ever known. You google stuff and your an expert, you seem to have the ability to do this with all sorts. You know all about everything. I met a bloke down the boozer once, he was the same, funny everyone else thought he was a right tool.
Rightho. Any questions? :lol: :lol:

Yes, what colour is black?

Lons":322pbz3o said:
Hmm... The same Chinese who were blamed last year for the release of massive amounts of CFC-11 which they are secretly and illegally using in the production of insulation for the construction industry.
A process banned worldwide since 2010. :roll:

Oh yes, causing lots of pollution in all sorts of areas, I wasn't praising them, they just have the right (sort of) idea in using fossil fuels to build factories that can build renewables.

Also they aren't doing this for fun or for the environment, they are doing it so they can sell the solar panels to us and make a load of money, as they always do.

Rorschach":12jnbxji said:
Lons":12jnbxji said:
Hmm... The same Chinese who were blamed last year for the release of massive amounts of CFC-11 which they are secretly and illegally using in the production of insulation for the construction industry.
A process banned worldwide since 2010. :roll:

Oh yes, causing lots of pollution in all sorts of areas, I wasn't praising them, they just have the right (sort of) idea in using fossil fuels to build factories that can build renewables.

Also they aren't doing this for fun or for the environment, they are doing it so they can sell the solar panels to us and make a load of money, as they always do.
I suspect they would be doing it for the environment too - they are scientifically and technically pretty competent and climate change will zap them too.
They know about climate change and the only solutions; zero fossil fuel use and renewables.
I bet they are working on carbon capture too, but it looks like long shot to me.

RogerS":2bzqnaqj said:
I feel sorry for the OP.

Wow, never had so much interest in one of my posts.

Don't worry about me, just had an email from customer saying they are happy to go with single glazing so all good.

As always thank you everybody for all the help and advice :roll:

Doug

doctor Bob":2hubhov9 said:
Apparently it was because to start with he was quite an amusing little chap, but as he got to know more and more and climb the tree of knowledge higher and higher, in the end all you could see was a tiny *******.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RobinBHM":1ehndaqa said:
Nope . Goal posts fixed. Both are true

No because one is arguing something different.........
Not at all.
Thermal mass stores surplus energy. Free surplus heat from the sun in MikeG's concrete house, or in our case heat from continuous firing bio mass boiler - surplus heat but not free.
You need to store it because you can't switch it on and off like a gas boiler just when you need it.
But thermal mass itself is expensive - heavy concrete construction etc, or what we were looking at: an insulated 1 tonne tank of water.
We wondered about thermal mass with our project, mad ideas like insulating the outside, treating the masonry as thermal mass. But it has another inherent problem - it's a heat sink, until it you get it up to temp, by which time you may be out of the building or whatever.
Basically a big investment in an inflexible system to save you not very much money at all.
Instead we have low thermal mass (all stud, plaster, insulation, wooden floors) and the place heats up very quickly on demand. Takes a day or so to cool down to ambient temperatures as it's fairly draught proof.
Does that help? I guess not. :roll:
We have gas CH condensing boiler and also have a woodburner - "bio mass" heating on demand, space heating only; it doesn't do hot water.
Don't worry chaps if you don't get it!

Back