Double or single glaze door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rorschach":c4xbhweu said:
... once the shift to renewables takes hold and market forces kick in then the cost of energy will go down ...

How many times have we been told in the past that once this that or the other happens (in any sphere) costs will go down? As soon as energy costs go down the government of the day will find a way of introducing yet another tax on them. :D

Rorschach":2rqwdk8g said:
Green building advisers in the US are predicting energy to get cheaper in the long term. There will still be rises for a while but once the shift to renewables takes hold and market forces kick in then the cost of energy will go down and insulation will be less important.
Sounds improbable, but we shall see! I assume prices going ever upwards.
People seem to forget there is a massive environmental impact in producing most forms of insulation.
The other issue is that heating costs aren't actually that high - say typically£1000 p.a. for a house, so there isn't much scope for cost effective saving. Draught proofing and Insulation the most effective, DG well down the list. Well documented, not just my personal google fantasy! TG no chance at all of ever being cost effective in our temperate climate.

The mass misinformation from suppliers is interesting. I just googled "is triple glazing cost effective". You soon hit
"If your home is old and poorly insulated, triple glazed windows won't be as effective at cutting your energy bills."
but what it doesn't say is
"If your home is new and highly insulated, triple glazed windows still won't be  effective at cutting your energy bills."
The saving is the same, for the same window and same temperature difference, however well fitted out the rest of the building

MikeG.":3ji5q4vl said:
Doug71":3ji5q4vl said:
MikeG.":3ji5q4vl said:
Look out, too, for vacuum units, coming sometime soon.

You mean like this? Only 6.5mm thick with a 0.2mm cavity!

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/pro ... ton-spacia

Yep. It's not mass-market yet, but this is the future.
I doubt it! Nearly all other normal energy saving measures will still be more effective.
The future is in renewable energy generation - if it's not too late of course - ice caps disappearing fast

doctor Bob":l5xwlht7 said:
MikeG.":l5xwlht7 said:
Oh, and I've done the calculations. I'm an architect. Designing low energy buildings is what I do.

I'm afraid this counts for nothing with Jacob, he has googled it and read around a bit and knows better.
20 odd years designing low energy buildings, pah..........

f58ec70e147a5213928e93d33cd37bf5.jpg

haha =D>

phil.p":100bem91 said:
Rorschach":100bem91 said:
... once the shift to renewables takes hold and market forces kick in then the cost of energy will go down ...

How many times have we been told in the past that once this that or the other happens (in any sphere) costs will go down? As soon as energy costs go down the government of the day will find a way of introducing yet another tax on them. :D

Food, cars, mobile phones, tv's, general household tech, white goods, clothes.

All the items listed above are cheaper than they have ever been in history so I am sorry that is just nonsense.
Energy will become cheaper to produce.

Seems to me that you're talking about two different things here. The economics of ripping out existing single glazing, and replacing with DG/TG, and the economics of DG/TG versus SG when starting from scratch.
I am in total awe of Mike's abundant knowledge and his willingness to share it, but I don't believe that replacing all the single glazed windows in my 1854 non-cavity walled house with gas fired CH would make financial sense for me(unless I plan to live here for another 55 years).

P.S., the picture posting in this thread is pathetic and puerile, in my opinion.

John Brown":liu4d6h2 said:
P.S., the picture posting in this thread is pathetic and puerile, in my opinion.

OK, I've removed them, although I really do think this virtue signalling of being purer than pure is just getting out of hand....................

P.S. I'm afraid I can edit peoples posts who quoted me, they will have to do that themselves.

Rorschach":3bc7jr2e said:
phil.p":3bc7jr2e said:
Rorschach":3bc7jr2e said:

Food, cars, mobile phones, tv's, general household tech, white goods, clothes.

All the items listed above are cheaper than they have ever been in history so I am sorry that is just nonsense.
Energy will become cheaper to produce.
Certainly could be but it would take big state commitment to R&D. Yanks and ozzies (all that space and sunlight!) severely held back by the oil/coal lobby but the Chinese will do it - they've expanded massively on oil and coal to build an industrial base but are now going renewable big time.

doctor Bob":35e53360 said:
....I really do think this virtue signalling of being purer than pure is just getting out of hand........................
What's virtuous or purer than pure about being opinionated about double glazing? It's not a moral issue is it?

Excellent photo, doctor Bob and grateful to OscarG for re-quoting it.

I was going to get the popcorn out but I see that Jacob has thrown in the towel. That or he's gone off for a bit more Googling.

Jacob":3lbtr3hw said:
doctor Bob":3lbtr3hw said:
....I really do think this virtue signalling of being purer than pure is just getting out of hand........................
What's virtuous or purer than pure about being opinionated about double glazing? It's not a moral issue is it?

No I meant, not being allowed to take the mickey out of you Jacob, i.e. picture posting. I have to say you have never complained Jacob, I think you like it!!!

John Brown":2q5del60 said:
Shame. I was really interested in this thread, but now I expect it'll all go to dung.

Yes I understand how devastating this must be, I can only apologise once more if it's me, I'm off to self flaggellate myself right now.

doctor Bob":3weknx3p said:
Jacob":3weknx3p said:
doctor Bob":3weknx3p said:

No I meant, not being allowed to take the mickey out of you Jacob, i.e. picture posting. I have to say you have never complained Jacob, I think you like it!!!
I was out in my underpants yesterday in the garden - I'll take some selfies next time and post them if you are really interested. :shock:

Jacob":2lurjoea said:
I was out in my underpants yesterday in the garden - I'll take some selfies next time and post them if you are really interested. :shock:

Hey Jacob, I think this was meant to be a PM, you little minx. Dark horses and all that.............

John Brown":2b6p1kp7 said:
Seems to me that you're talking about two different things here. The economics of ripping out existing single glazing, and replacing with DG/TG, and the economics of DG/TG versus SG when starting from scratch.
I am in total awe of Mike's abundant knowledge and his willingness to share it, but I don't believe that replacing all the single glazed windows in my 1854 non-cavity walled house with gas fired CH would make financial sense for me(unless I plan to live here for another 55 years).

This is the key thing isn't it. Removing functional single glazed windows and replacing with DG is a totally different thing to speccing DG when there is no existing window.

Back