Dont do this!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Right all, word of warning to you all! As a chippie I do a lot of kneeling down, and pushing against my knees, say when drilling horizontally to fit a lock. After two weeks of constant kneeling and climbing in the back of my van over 100 times on friday (carrying boards), this is how my knee looked this morning.

It is called Bursitis - basically housemaids knee. It is extremly painful, off work for at least a week. If it doesn't go down with all the tablets I have to have it drained.

I tell you all this to encourage you to wear knee pads/ use a kneeler. You DO NOT want this - which apparently is quite common for chippies and carpet fitters. And several hours at A&E to go with it.

so next time you kneel on that hard concrete workshop floor - remember me!

woody

I normally wear kneepads when kneeling for any length of time - now I know why :shock:

Hope you get well soon.

Andrew

most carpet fitters won't wear knee pads as they cause varicose veins, catch 22 I suppose

Blimey Woody,that does look painful :shock:
I get bad pains in my knees after kneeling down for a while,can feel it for days after,just put it down to playing football a lot when younger :roll:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":132ubc4d said:
I get bad pains in my knees after kneeling down for a while,can feel it for days after,just put it down to playing football a lot when younger :roll:
Paul.J.

Thats what I basically did. Been playing up for a couple of weeks, but just swallowed ibruprofen and got on with it... until this morning. I think in future I will heed my body's warnings a bit more.

(Still, cats safe for a while - can't kick her out at night now :lol: )

Oh, for animal lovers, only kidding guys!

woody

Looks a bit nasty woody, lets hope it gets better soon. I remember when I laid a new floor in my house my Knees hurt for days, didn't look bad like yours though.

I bet you would easily win a Knobbly Knee contest :lol: Sorry :oops:

Too late for me Woody, I have had it. I can sympathise with you as it must be the most excrutiatingly painful thing I have had. I was so surprised when the doc told me what it was as the pain was so great like someone sticking a needle up behind the cap. I too had to have a couple of weeks off work. Hope it gets better soon for you. :(

Best of luck with it Woody. It is something that will come back once you've had it, so using a kneeling pad is very advisable from now on. I had it last year - the doctor called it "plumbers knees" as it's plumbers and kitchen fitters who seem to present themselves with it most often.

Scrit

As a wall and floor tiler, i can feel your pain. Knee and back problems are part of my job. I tend to go ages without any problems and then it can come on without any warnings.
Knee pads are ok but i wore some a while back which i thought were great. I was wearing jeans at the time and had spent most of the day tiling a large floor. When i got home, i went straight into the shower....and screamed my head off when the hot water hit the back of my legs. The straps had rubbed all day without me feeling a thing and i had 2 cuts in my skin as if someone had used a razor blade. Never wear knee pads of that sort again.
I use trousers with pockets on the knees that you slide pads into. The knees of the trousers wear out but better than your knees.

motownmartin":3h09h9y5 said:

The "nice" nurse at the hospital askedme if I had ever read the Beano - bash Street Kids. Apparently my knee reminded her of one of them. ! Great.

Actually she was really nice and it was lovely having someone in A&E with a sense of humour

woody

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch. And that's all sympathy; by gum, it makes my own knee hurt just to look at it. :(

Scrit":2exzzgpn said:
I had it last year - the doctor called it "plumbers knees" as it's plumbers and kitchen fitters who seem to present themselves with it most often.
The supply of housemaids having dried up in recent times, I imagine...

Cheers, Alf

Pecker":387ljbof said:
motownmartin":387ljbof said:

The "nice" nurse at the hospital askedme if I had ever read the Beano - bash Street Kids. Apparently my knee reminded her of one of them. ! Great.

Actually she was really nice and it was lovely having someone in A&E with a sense of humour

woody
I'm glad you are still smiling Woody :)

Alf":15anxp66 said:
Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch. And that's all sympathy; by gum, it makes my own knee hurt just to look at it. :(

The supply of housemaids having dried up in recent times, I imagine...

Cheers, Alf

It was a bit Ironic that the "Indian" Dr I saw, had to then appologise to my girlfriend and make it clear he wasn't being sexist. It seemd like we cant say anything for fear of being called racist, and he couldn't say anything for fear of being labelled sexist. :?

oh wayy, at swmbo is looking after me well, now where's me beer>? Damn, not allowed any! :roll:

woody

devonwoody":1c07y1oq said:
I've got lumbago but I am not posting any pics. :roll:
Let us all be thankful for small mercies, then........ :lol: :wink:

Wow, thats some knee you got ther!

My dads ALWAYS going on to me about protecting my "young" knees as you wont get another pair! I know better than anyone to look aftermyself as i see plenty of people with bits broken, and bits sawn off in A&E on a regular basis.

Its just a case of "just this once" or "Ill only be 5 mins", you never really think about it do you!

You get well soon Woody, must be nice tho having every whim taken care of by your girlfriend for 2 weeks!

:wink:

Latest posts

Back