CMBS car breaking system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father's Toyota has automatic speed limit detection - so far it only pings when it thinks you are speeding - like when it sees a 70kph speed limit on a sliproad off a 130kph motorway - but imagine if it then decided to slow the car down.

Mind you, if all the other cars have CMBS they can all slow down the cars to match!

Just to add a little balance. There are a lot of positives to these systems even they they annoy me. For example, in our electric car you can set what distance you want from the car in front and it will maintain that and not let you crash. It will not let you pull out into the path of something in your blind spot without giving tactile, audible and visual warnings. In traffic jams cruise control operates down to stand still so that car will maintain position in slow moving traffic without you doing anything.

The BMW M4 we had was superb at hazard identification as it was a dual system thing with infrared. On one memorable occasion it identified a drunk person dressed in all black at night stepping out in front of us on a dark, misty country road 200m away and braked. This silly person was near invisible but the infra red system clocked him before either of us saw him, and has also worked for deer (we have lots round our way).

I agree that the tech is improving. Things like systems to keep cars say three car lengths apart would pretty much eliminate motorway traffic jams if all cars had them.

It would be nice if the industry (or regulators) were to agree on the key things that need development and all develop them simultaneously. Unfortunately, one thing I fear we are very likely to see is automatic tracked road pricing.
Maybe you are correct..long term
But the here and now isnt like self adjusting brakes or automatic chokes when they first came out and eventually sorted out.
This is life or death and multiple pile ups that is not 100% proven.
While there is little info coming out of the car manufacturers and mass litigation is in process in the USA, this technology isnt there yet.
As a side note most of these systems are made by Bosch from what I have read
Although I understand your thinking.
Regards
Mike

My father's Toyota has automatic speed limit detection - so far it only pings when it thinks you are speeding - like when it sees a 70kph speed limit on a sliproad off a 130kph motorway - but imagine if it then decided to slow the car down.

Mind you, if all the other cars have CMBS they can all slow down the cars to match!
But they dont. CMBS is the way we are going.

I guess cars dont last too long so there is a fairly rapid turnover with the new cars coming in with added tech so perhaps it wont be too long before there are a meaningfull number on the roads chatting away to each other and making the world a safer place, I personally love the tech, the prospect of self driving cars and trucks, its all a bright new world and Im only sorry that in my early 70s now I might only see its beginnings,,
Steve.

Now you know why I kept my 2001 Saab for 21 yrs, & now given up car ownership. Maybe re-generate 'Tin Lizzies' & 'Moggy Minors' & 'Angle Boxes'. 😃
Think Saab had abandoned them long before 2001, but my 1960s Saab estate had a freewheel device, so when you took foot off accelerator, it just sailed on blithely! Used to scare passengers, but it did mean you could flip between gears without touching the clutch. Safety? What's that?

Think Saab had abandoned them long before 2001, but my 1960s Saab estate had a freewheel device, so when you took foot off accelerator, it just sailed on blithely! Used to scare passengers, but it did mean you could flip between gears without touching the clutch. Safety? What's that?
Had one ourselves, the 95estate with a set of extra seats in the boot, a south African (I think) ford tauness engine and the little toggle you could pull to go into freewheel was in fact a remanent of the earlier two stroke engined cars where they were concerned about long downhill runs in gear which could result in oil starvation and seizure, we still think of it as one of the best cars we ever had,,,
Steve.

Had one ourselves, the 95estate with a set of extra seats in the boot, a south African (I think) ford tauness engine and the little toggle you could pull to go into freewheel was in fact a remanent of the earlier two stroke engined cars where they were concerned about long downhill runs in gear which could result in oil starvation and seizure, we still think of it as one of the best cars we ever had,,,
Steve.
Certainly one of the most versatile. Used to lug students around field trips in mine - saved on minibus hire. Didn't know the two-stroke origin. The only other vehicles I know of that had that facility were the Rover 75 etc of the 50s. In their case it was presumably a small attempt to mitigate the thirst of those old tanks!
The only downsides of the Saab 95 were the lousy automatic choke on the Taunus engine and then, for us, the back-wrecking business of heaving smallish child into her seat in the back with only two doors. So we became antique-dealer lookalikes with our first Volvo 120 estate, complete with the full length roof-rack essential to that occupation!

Hi Dick, I wonder what the old Saab would feel like now, then it felt like a luxuary car, but I had similar feeling about the Morris 1000 untill a mate took me for a spin in his immaculate restored one, we were wedged in our shoulders almost touching, my face was far too close to the windscreen and when it started to rain scratchy little wipers wafted about uselessly,,it was horrible,,,mind you the impression was probably not helped by my having just stepped out of the big Saab TiD Vector estate,,,
Steve.

My car (Cortina mk3) is 50 next month I dive it not the other way around.
Yes it only holds around 60 mph but she still get from A to B just the same. Is tax free MOT free and ULEZ exempt.

You'd never wear a clutch out!

Think Saab had abandoned them long before 2001, but my 1960s Saab estate had a freewheel device, so when you took foot off accelerator, it just sailed on blithely!
We recently got a 2017 BMW 420d auto that basically has the same thing, and more. If you lift off, the auto box does some sort of magic I do not understand so that the car just sails along with no engine braking. The engine revs drop to idle when this happens, regardless of road speed and I believe this is one of the main factors leading to good fuel economy.

Latest posts

Back