How do you do it? Your business

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years back I worked for a firm doing DG, the chap who did the replacement units carried a roll of lining paper, masking tape and a black crayon. Did all the leaded stuff in situ like a brass rubbing, brought it back to the workshop, laid it on the bench under the glass and stuck the lead over the pattern. Worked a treat.

That method works well for non double glazed units. Once you have glazed units you have lead on both sides of the outer pane and you still need to create an hermetic seal - not easy.

When they did ours they put in temp DG units and took the lead lights away to be encapsulated....

We used to do that with the Queen Anne units, sometimes. Trouble is, to do that properly, customers need to pay for a temporary unit or to pay for the labour of splitting the unit and leaving the plain unit behind. It was generally easier, albeit riskier, to map out the unit and leave it there.

That method works well for non double glazed units. Once you have glazed units you have lead on both sides of the outer pane and you still need to create an hermetic seal - not easy.
If memory serves the leading was done in house, along with fake stained glass, then it would be sent up to Kidderminster or Birmingham to be made into units.

Following on from hijacking another thread, i thought id start this one.

Im a self employed chippy, i cover general building, but the majority of my work is finishing carpentry ( kitchens, built in cupboards etc. ) i work alone, just getting plumbers, electricians and plasterers as required.

At the moment, i work during the day and admin ( quotes, invoices, ordering, research etc ), meeting customers etc, gets done at night. Ive lost interest in having to do all this stuff even though i know its necessary. Ive even got lax arranging the next set of jobs because its just hasstle 😆 but of course, missing half a day or a day a week to do that stuff means lost time/ money.

What do you do and when??
I look at the weather forecast and make sure I walk my dogs at the optimum times for each day, that way I don't feel so bad if I have to do admin and visits at a weekend or evening. I do some quotes in the day. It is all completely variable but my assistant does a regular 36hour 4 day week. As I am in mid 50s not working as hard but less tired and smarter, trying to filter in the best customers. I wouldn't like to work alone the two of us make a good team.

I use an Ecxel spreadsheet to do my quotes.
Put in all your materials, then break the job down into chunks- machining, finishing etc. You can put in a multiplier for VAT, uplift, etc. Don't look at the bottom line until you have finished. If it seems very high or low, you might want to go through it for obvious mistakes.
The important thing is not to assume that what you think is cheap or expensive is the same for your client.
Often clients will ask for everything they can think of. The quote can be a bit of a reality check and force them to work out what it is they really want.
I always put in the best materials and practices- ie dovetailed drawers, good hinges, whatever. If the client complains that it's too much, you can then say, Ok, I'll make the drawers with lap joints, find cheaper hinges, etc. You are not losing and they are getting their price reduction.
And it's very important to give a detailed quote or estimate. Say what you will do, what you will use, and just as important, what isn't included.
I've tried to attach one of my quote sheets, but it's not allowed, so if anyone would like one just DM me and I'll email it to you. It's very basic but saves a lot of calculator time.
I use Google docs then viewable on all devices as well as album links to photos automatically uploaded from phone.

I think it can be different if you are a mid-sized company with employees - I however do everything (with the help of my wife) from the initial consultation to the final fit - so it becomes (perhaps) a bit more personal, we often end up sitting down having lunch or dinner with our clients and have never had any issues with payment, but I am very selective who I work for, if I don't like them (I have tests), I don't work for them 🤣
What are your tests? I'm intrigued. Also lucky not to have payment problem since 30 years ago when the person had an emergency, which turned out to be just a bath panel needed making and fitting on a thursday evening so they could have a party at the weekend. Cash on the table to help myself to for materials. Boyfriend's Porsche outside. Fitted following evening, lovely job and even tightened window latches. Every time I returned for payment excuse was always sorry I need to get the boyfriend to pay. Small job but made me angry. Always fortunate since.

Honestly i finally started to feel that my business is going up again. We have a lot of new clients and a lot of returning ones.
We started to use team onboarding for the communication purposes in out company and i think it has something to do with that. Hope it is not only the wave and will get down again soon.

From my own experience, I know that in conducting your business, an effective ecommerce order management system plays a vital role. It involves streamlining inventory, processing orders efficiently, and ensuring timely delivery.
If you are about to start a business, my advice is to utilize order management software that offers centralized tracking, inventory management, and seamless integration with your ecommerce platform to optimize your business operations and enhance customer satisfaction.

Back