Disston 112 Rip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr

Established Member
Reaction score
or so I'm told. I think I need more light in my kitchen and those floor boards are a state as well.

:roll:

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

Good find. #12s, #16s and the hundred series, the #112s and #116s, [difference being the hundred series are skew backs] are great handsaws.

Clean it up, give it a quick sharpen and use it.

Take care, Mike

p.s., the floor looks good from here...

Am I being unnecessarily suspicious or does it look like that handle and the discolouring on the blade don't match? :-k But what the heck, looks like it'll work just fine. So how many ppi, Mike? :D

Cheers, Alf

It's odd the blade doesn't look rusty at all, just black, though I expect that is rust. I wondered about the handle and blade matching but didnt really know why. There is an etch but it's barely visible, if I clean it up a bit it may become more visible - danger is, I guess, that it may disappear altogether. The teeth arent overly sharp and appear to have mnimal if any set to them. So that needs to be addressed. Alf, 5ppi by my count. Altogether quite a large and heavy thing and the handle while comfortable is a bit bulky but then I have small hands. Chap selling claimed it was quite rare, hopefully not so rare that my attempts to clean and sharpen ruin it. But then if it's not in service it might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned so that doesn't matter too much I spose. Oh, forgot to mention that it appears to have a slight "belly" to the cutting edge. Does that mean its been reshaped / recut at some point or is that a design "feature"?

Cheers Mike

mr":vcqamj43 said:
or so I'm told. I think I need more light in my kitchen and those floor boards are a state as well.

Photograph tips; don't use flash when photographing reflective surfaces.

Use a tripod in low light if you can.

BugBear

Back