Denatured Alcohol

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulkane1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been reading some articles on drying out Turned Green Wood,and,one method is soaking turned bowls in Denatured Alcohol ,(Methalythed Spirits?)Firstly has anyone tried this method?and,Do you need a Licence from Custom and Excise,to buy the Denatured Alcohol? If so,where can I buy it?or can you buy a lot of bottles of Methalyed Spirits ,in one of the main shopping stores?.All helped appreciated.

Paul

B&Q sell 500ml bottles for £3.87. I doubt there's a limit on how many you can purchase.

Wouldn't over-the-counter meths leave a purple colour to the wood? No idea if you can easily buy the undyed stuff, could be possible, I use it at work where we consume it by the tanker load.

Over the counter meths is fine, it has little or no effect on wood colour. I've been through the whole gambit of meths, detergent soak, boiling, pressure cooking etc. Sufficient to say I no longer bother with any of the 'time reduction' practices having found the small increase in time required for natural drying is of no consequence once you have built your stocks and personal time is better spent spinning bits of wood.

One thing I did find was that naturally dried wood is far softer and pleasant to turn than any that has been encouraged to shed moisture artificially. Some species can be very harsh to turn after soak and drying.

No artificial drying for me either just cut into blanks, sealed and store after marking with the date and weight if I want to speed up drying time then I rough turn my blanks and store them.
All blanks are stored undercover with good air circulation

Chatting with a recent chairman of the Oxford woodturning club he is of the opinion that the best thing to do with green wood, is to rough turn it as soon as you get it.
Of course you need the time & commitment to carry it out as well as being able to see the end product before you begin.

Back