Which chuck do I need…?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan L

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,
I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a general purpose chuck for turning bowls and egg cups that would fit my Arundel J4 Senior? I think it has an inboard spindle thread of M30 x 3.5 and an outboard of M25 x 2.5. Can I get a chuck that will fit both threads? Also, am I correct in thinking the inboard thread is the one facing the tailstock? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Arundel Wood Lathes if you've not seen it.
Says "The Senior had an inboard spindle thread of M30 x 3.5 and an outboard of M25 x 2.5" but you need to check yours first just in case.
https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/toolpost-versachuck-wood-lathe-chucks
You'd need to get unthreaded backplates and get them machined, though, which wouldn't be cheap.
Or a supplier may have a chuck with adaptor, off the shelf.
I got one with my Sorby Patriot chuck but it wasn't a good fit; usable but didn't screw up to the washer, over the unthreaded portion. Luckily chaoticbob of this parish machined it up for me, but it would have been better to buy a different chuck but I've no idea which one.

.....inboard spindle thread of M30 x 3.5 and an outboard of M25 x 2.5. Can I get a chuck that will fit both threads?
No. Not only different size but the left hand one is left-hand threaded. Just aim for the inboard one with the larger thread, which is then useful for all purposes. The outboard end is only useful if you want to make very large bowls, or for sanding discs for sharpening etc
Also, am I correct in thinking the inboard thread is the one facing the tailstock?
Yes

No. Not only different size but the left hand one is left-hand threaded. Just aim for the inboard one with the larger thread, which is then useful for all purposes. The outboard end is only useful if you want to make very large bowls, or for sanding discs for sharpening etc

Yes
Thanks Jacob, any suggestions on a suitable chuck? I looked at a Record one which I believe came with an adapter. It was being sold by a company called Yandles.
https://www.yandles.co.uk/record-po...Z11bsN3REs5ahctXmiPXPFEbOTtM-AjhoCdLkQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Thanks Jacob, any suggestions on a suitable chuck? I looked at a Record one which I believe came with an adapter. It was being sold by a company called Yandles.
If it'll fit it'll do. Phone Yandles and ask them if it'll fit your lathe. And if not do they have any suggestions?

thanks. Sorry if I am asking a lot of ‘obvious’ questions
No prob, it's how you find these things out!
Yandles are big on the hobby woodwork side of things and should be helpful

the record sc4 has an insert for m30 x3.5
i do make inserts for the record range and could make you a m25x2.5 left hand if it is lh but it will want to unscrew without grub screws to hold it
Ian

i do make inserts for the record range and could make you a m25x2.5 left hand if it is lh but it will want to unscrew without grub screws to hold it
Ian
Thanks. Sounds like it would make more sense to by a chuck specifically for that side, especially as i plan to turn some large bowls.
Or just use the bowl plate.

Thanks. Sounds like it would make more sense to by a chuck specifically for that side, especially as i plan to turn some large bowls.
Or just use the bowl plate.
I'd get the inboard chuck first - it's useful not just for bowls but everything else too.
You could use a faceplate for larger bowls on the outer end and delay buying a chuck there until you know you need it, if ever.
Just checked my spindle - it is M30 x 3.5mm inboard.

I'd get the inboard chuck first - it's useful not just for bowls but everything else too.
You could use a faceplate for larger bowls on the outer end and delay buying a chuck there until you know you need it, if ever.
Just checked my spindle - it is M30 x 3.5mm inboard.
Thanks, I will check mine this evening, hopefully it is the same.

Attachments

• C5F74CAD-BAEA-418C-AB11-814B1F193A8F.jpeg
    C5F74CAD-BAEA-418C-AB11-814B1F193A8F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • BCE2BFB4-B8BE-41F3-BEB0-F2CF9045A6E6.jpeg
    BCE2BFB4-B8BE-41F3-BEB0-F2CF9045A6E6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Ian
It's intended for the back of the head, so it will not unscrew in use as the load is in the opposite direction, hence the LH thread.

I bought a chuck from Rutlands for my Viceroy (1 1/2 x 8) and it came with an adaptor, but it is not ideal. The adaptor is about 2" long and introduces noticeable run out. I bought a second adaptor from them but it is just as bad. I think the issue is the length of internal thread is just too long and it starts with hardly any thread, leading on to the full thread. I think the full thread never gets on to the spindle so I am going to cut off about 1/2 " to see if it improves things. There is also the issue of the spindle register - this should be the locating / centring point and the thread just hold the chuck / adaptor against it. Anyway I thought this might be useful information for you. Regarding inboard and outboard use, as has been said, outboard is left hand thread so that the chuck / faceplate etc doesn't unscrew during rotation. Some lathes have the same thread (apart from LH/RH threading) - my union graduate does, and my chuck has dual thread, but that won't apply to your lathe since the threads are different. Overall, I would get a chuck for inboard work - much more useful.

K

Back