Which chuck do I need…?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a chuck from Rutlands for my Viceroy (1 1/2 x 8) and it came with an adaptor, but it is not ideal. The adaptor is about 2" long and introduces noticeable run out. I bought a second adaptor from them but it is just as bad. I think the issue is the length of internal thread is just too long and it starts with hardly any thread, leading on to the full thread. I think the full thread never gets on to the spindle so I am going to cut off about 1/2 " to see if it improves things. There is also the issue of the spindle register - this should be the locating / centring point and the thread just hold the chuck / adaptor against it. Anyway I thought this might be useful information for you. Regarding inboard and outboard use, as has been said, outboard is left hand thread so that the chuck / faceplate etc doesn't unscrew during rotation. Some lathes have the same thread (apart from LH/RH threading) - my union graduate does, and my chuck has dual thread, but that won't apply to your lathe since the threads are different. Overall, I would get a chuck for inboard work - much more useful.

K
Thanks K. Very helpful

I bought a chuck from Rutlands for my Viceroy (1 1/2 x 8) and it came with an adaptor, but it is not ideal. The adaptor is about 2" long and introduces noticeable run out. I bought a second adaptor from them but it is just as bad. I think the issue is the length of internal thread is just too long and it starts with hardly any thread, leading on to the full thread. I think the full thread never gets on to the spindle so I am going to cut off about 1/2 " to see if it improves things. There is also the issue of the spindle register - this should be the locating / centring point and the thread just hold the chuck / adaptor against it. Anyway I thought this might be useful information for you. Regarding inboard and outboard use, as has been said, outboard is left hand thread so that the chuck / faceplate etc doesn't unscrew during rotation. Some lathes have the same thread (apart from LH/RH threading) - my union graduate does, and my chuck has dual thread, but that won't apply to your lathe since the threads are different. Overall, I would get a chuck for inboard work - much more useful.

K
That sounds like the wrong adaptor. There should be no run out and it should screw right in to the chuck, and at the other end right back over the unthreaded part of the spindle to engage tight against the washer.

I bought a chuck from Rutlands for my Viceroy (1 1/2 x 8) and it came with an adaptor, but it is not ideal. The adaptor is about 2" long and introduces noticeable run out. I bought a second adaptor from them but it is just as bad. I think the issue is the length of internal thread is just too long and it starts with hardly any thread, leading on to the full thread. I think the full thread never gets on to the spindle so I am going to cut off about 1/2 " to see if it improves things. There is also the issue of the spindle register - this should be the locating / centring point and the thread just hold the chuck / adaptor against it.

K
I suspect that the problem with the adaptor is called Rutlands. Sometime ago I bought a set of chuck jaws which supposedly would fit Record Power SC4 chucks . Only one actually fitted.They were a bargain price. I should have known better. I have not bought anything else from them.

Last edited:
Back