Delta import

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what will he want next week

Following the rage to much, Norm fan too.

If Norm cut his hand off with the dado, that may be next on his list

Sorry mate but i don't reckon your thinking clear here. Alot of advise so far but i don't think your taking any notice.

Andy

Bramers,

It's your money lad, If you wan't an imported delta, you go for it!
People can only give you their opinions then the choice is yours. After all, it's only money!

cheers,
jon.

What about the voltage? Is it 110v?

Beware, as us mains 110v is different to 110v from a site type transformer.

when did i say dado?

all i am after is advise, i am only young and just want to spend my money wisely, and try to get everything that i hoped for.

i dont mean to make anyone angry but i just want to explore every route before i buy. after all this is a woodworking forum and i am just trying to take in as much knollege as i can, i learn by asking these question.

sorry/cheers

bramers

I bought a router from the usa and just run it off a yellow 110 converter. Ive had it over 2 yrs now and its great. Shame i couldnt get the model over here.

bramers":3l3gz917 said:
when did i say dado?
Er, here?

Folks are only getting frustrated because they've given the advice you seek, but there's no obvious sign that you've taken it in at all, that's all.

Cheers, Alf

Bramers
No worries :wink:
A lot of folk have asked the same question as you-can we order US machinery and get it delivered to the UK as it seems so cheap when you look on the US sites. The answer is simple-by the time you get i shipped, Customs add VAT, duty and a little bit more, you take into consideration that there will be no warrenty worth mentioning and the voltage thing, it's probably not worth it.
The fact is the saw you are after (a contractors saw) IS available from Woodford for a lot less than trying to source it from the US. Have a look at the 803 and 804 (I think). I personally have bought the 806, a Delta Unisaw clone, and am VERY happy with it! :D
Hope this helps
Philly :D

In this topic. er no :wink:

just to be clear i will go for a woodford 804, has anyone been on an 804, 805 ect and also had a go on a delta to compare the two?

Bramers,

Decide first of all what your budget is. Then the work area where the saw is to go, and finally what you need the saw to do. Then decide which will be the best for you. You can too easily get yourself into a deep hole of Delta's, Woodfords saw's or should I import. A second hand well looked after 10inch Wadkin that's been converted to single phase would suit you just fine. They regularly appear on ebay for anywhere between £300-£600 depending on condition and you could even use it with a dado head.

cheers,
jon.

Important thing to remember with the costs is that you are charged Import Duty on the value of the item PLUS post and packing (at least on 'normal' sized packages - can't see it being different on the larger kit though) then you are charged VAT on the value of the item and post and packing and Import Duty - that will add up to a sizeable chunk of change on top of everything else!!

Kane

Real wood":314tsi61 said:
I bought a router from the usa and just run it off a yellow 110 converter. Ive had it over 2 yrs now and its great. Shame i couldnt get the model over here.

Routers have series (brush) motors, and so will work fine on UK mains transformed down to 110V. Table saws, OTOH, normally have induction motors. The fact that US electricity is 60 hertz and UK is 50 hertz means that an induction motor machine intended for the US will run that much slower in the UK

John

I generally don't get involved in this sort of debate and reasoning. But I thought I would stick my foot in my mouth this time.

There are many safer and quicker, not to mention more accurate, ways of cutting dados, it makes me wonder why people here in the US still use dado stacks anyway.

If I were a commercial shop again, through dados would be cut on the radial arm saw, stopped dados using guides and routers. But then, I don't like dados anyway.

In my single person shop, they were cut using the Rat and or by hand. Except in built-ins where there were typically enough to do using a guided router. Bespoke furniture, if you can get the work, isn't the same type of race to get done and what few dados there are in much of the work are easy enough and fast enough to do so by hand or router.

As to importing of machinery? Seems a hassle to me. Each country makes comparable products or has appropriate models readily available. While I think the Wadkins is a really cool looking tablesaw, unless I was financially and mentally prepared for what that means to import one and make it work here why go through the trouble. At least from the perspective of wanting it to actually work with, and not as a hobby to restore and prepare for work.

Well, back to work in my workshop, devoid of a tablesaw now anyway.

Take care, Mike

Bramers

You have been given the oadvice you seke by many here. Forget importing a saw (Delta contractors will NOT be better than other quality saws in UK despite Norm using one from his sponsor).

Most good quality saws will do what you want as well as you could dream such as Kity(I have one and cannot fault it), Sheppach and the SIP.

My personal advice would be to forget the dado, you don't need one as there are many other ways to achieve the same job - I use a router with guide or in a table. I used to use a dado head cutter but found no advantage over the router method AND it takes 10 times longer to change a tablesaw blade than a router cutter. I sold the dado after 6 months of non-use

bramers":20yf878k said:
In this topic. er no :wink:
My apologies; folks don't usually change what they're looking for just because they're in another thread, but you obviously differ.

Cheers, Alf

filsgreen":1wpekyht said:
Can any british saw accept a stacked head dado cutter? I was led to believe that no British saw can take a stacked head, I dunno, maybe Bramers wants that facility.

Phil

I can only apologise to Bramers for bringing up the question of the D word, I did not know it was so contraversial :shock: However, some good has come of it because I was also looking along the same lines as Bramers. I own a SIP TS, it's OK (apart from the banana fence guide) but due to the advice given on this post I'm going to stick with it. I've learned so much form you guys ang girls, it's probably saved me money and maybe a few fingers :lol: Once again sorry for hijacking your post Bramers.

Phil

If you import why not knock up a review of the import process itself - it would be very usful info especially if you were willing to include specific costs - either way keep us posted :)

Kane

No D-words, please. :shock: Running an induction motor designed for 60Hz on 50Hz will result in the motor running at 5/6 of the design speed. Maybe at that speed it won't cut so well, it will probably be more prone to stalling (unless you resize the pulleys) but worst of all the fan will not turn as fast and the motor will therefore run hotter and be more susceptible to the windings overheating (and cutting out if there is a thermal cut-out). Overheat windings too many times and the motor will die. Expensive. The other little joy you may have to face (albeit not very likely) is that I believe that Customs & Excise can sieze and impound products being imported into the EU which are not CE-marked and either force you to have them brought up to standard before release or face having them crushed. They cand and do it with toys, etc. very publically. Dealers do get waivers to cover this sort of thing, but they can produce documentary evidence of intent and ability to convert to CE-norm. You'd be unlucky to get caught on this, but it can happen.

Scrit

Back