Delta import

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramers

Established Member
Reaction score
i am going to import a delta table saw it is 299 pounds (weight) and it costs £350 what i want to know is what the import and shipping costs will be. plus has anybody got any experiance or tips with buying from amazon.com ?

thanks alot

bramers":1yr2huaj said:
i am going to import a delta table saw it is 299 pounds (weight) and it costs £350 what i want to know is what the import and shipping costs will be. plus has anybody got any experiance or tips with buying from amazon.com ?

thanks alot
Well, for a start, you won't get one off Amazon.com. They will only sell to North America and US forces posted overseas.
What model did you have in mind? I presume at that weight and price it's a contractor's TS? T Square fence?
Even if you were able to buy one from a ordinary Delta dealer you'll end up paying somewhere in the region of £8-900 after shipping, customs clearance, EU duty and Tax.
You'd be better off paying a visit to Woodford where you'll get a saw properly specified to European use. After all no Delta TSs are totally manufactured in the States anymore. Indeed the majority are all of Chiwanese origin.

Noel

Hi bramers

Why Delta? There are many very good saws in th UK that will perform equally as well as any Delta and better than a Delata contractors saw.

Whilst I agree that Delta do make a good quality tool (I haven a Delta thicknesser), I realy can't see a reaason to consider import

Also, amazon.com won't ship to UK

i was looking at a 36-982, it will cost me £370 before any shipping, what will i have to pay onto that do you think?

20060110101231_36-980_72dpi_200.jpg

Noel":3g2vi4if said:
You'd be better off paying a visit to Woodford where you'll get a saw properly specified to European use. l

With you (nearly) all the way, but I think this isn't strictly true as they are not CE marked, at least according to their website.

Maybe he just wants a Delta - why not give some reasons why a Woodford sourced machine will be better ... for example I'd assume that if you took the price of the Delta plus the cost of delivery and bought in the UK you'd get a substantially better machine and it's usually easier to deal with any problems that may arise - imagine having to ship the Delta back if it went wrong!

Kane

PS Does Woodford have a website, couldn't spot anything on a quick Google.

Can any british saw accept a stacked head dado cutter? I was led to believe that no British saw can take a stacked head, I dunno, maybe Bramers wants that facility.

Phil

yeah www.woodfordwm.co.uk are in stockport south of manchester almost, i have looked at them and it will cost me £700 to have one of those, so if i can get it cheaper from delta why not?

people i have spoken to about deltas are extremly happy so that is why i am here asking these questions.

bramers":3q32cbna said:
yeah www.woodfordwm.co.uk are in stockport south of manchester almost, i have looked at them and it will cost me £700 to have one of those, so if i can get it cheaper from delta why not?
Because, as Noel lucidly explains, you probably won't get it cheaper once you add in shipping, customs clearance, EU duty and Tax.

Cheers, Alf

Get some shipping quotes - my guess is that shipping will be £300-£400 minimum. Add that to the price. Then add 20-25% on the whole lot (including the shipping) for VAT and duty - this is one package that is not going to slip past customs. Make sure your US dealer can supply a saw with a UK spec motor.

Hi Bramers

I bought a Delta saw off someone who imported a small number of them into the UK together with some other US only bits of kits.

The saw cost me pretty much double what Amazon were selling it for.

Now I know some of this is profit for the importer but that was a very small amount. On top of that he was importing a few at a time so his shipping costs would have been reduced compared to a single delivery. He also said that often items would arrive damaged necessitating negotiation with Delta and the shipping company. So often in fact that he was actually going to stop doing it as it was becoming more trouble than it was worth.

Also there is the problem of guarantees to consider. Can't just ship it back or expect an engineer to visit from the States.

Also as Jake has pointed out. There is extra cost in swapping the motor out at Delta.

I would definitely not do the import thing especially when you read the Woodford reviews. Check it out on this forum. There are many Woodford owners and I doubt you will find one who is unhappy.

Jeff

what do you think of your delta? how happy are you with it and what model have you got? cheers

filsgreen":1otbu2uf said:
Can any british saw accept a stacked head dado cutter? I was led to believe that no British saw can take a stacked head, I dunno, maybe Bramers wants that facility.

Phil

Oh god he said DADO!!! :lol:

EVERYONE DUCK!!!

bramers Get real, wake up and smell the coffee
as people keep telling you it is not worth importing one from the states. It will cost you more than a UK supplied one.
If you are intending to use it for business you may well be stuffed with it as it will not conform to CE regs, It will therefore not be guarded in a sufficient manner..............You will not be able to use it if the HSE pay a visit, Your insurance company may well load your premium if they pay a visit..................and they do!!

For the money you will be paying for a lot of trouble you can buy a better saw from woodford and lots of other people that will take the dreaded Dado, if that is what you want.

Bean

this is the lad who wanted a woodford now he wants a delta what will he want next week .

i gave up weeks ago

frank

Back