Darlington man in woodturning disaster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing too serious,but the NVR switch on the lathe has packed in :( ,so no more turning for me today.
A couple of times yesterday,and again today,pressed the "go" button and the lathe did about three revolutions and stopped - though I couldn't have pressed it properly,as it worked fine second time.
But now,nothing - will start up with finger on the button,but won't stay on.I've had it in bits (I'm one of those people :wink: ) and everything looks fine,but the electromagnet won't hold.

So looks like an afternoon doing the gardening instead.

And tomorrow,find out how good Axminster Customer Service is [-o<

Andrew, check the contacts on the feed to the coil, they sometimes glaze over, polish with a bit of 400 grit. and see if all OK.

Had a similar problem Andrew... axminster sent a new nvr switch... hope they do the same for you :wink:

Andrew.
Sorry to hear about your lathe, :( it will be interesting to see what Axminster do do,seeing as how there are quite a few turners on here using the Perform lathes,and how they have been recommended to new turners,myself included.
Hope you get it sorted soon.
How long have you had your lathe :?:
Paul.J.

Had the lathe since last October (just over 5 months) - it decided to burst into life again this afternoon,but a replacement switch would still make me feel better ; will let you know what Axminster say tomorrow.

Andrew

Had exactly the same problem with my lathe.
I took out the switch and examined the electro magnet the contacts were not burnt but were covered in a fine layer of dust you could see this through the perspex sides of the switch ( these perspex sides slide out )
I removed the sides blew out the dust and replaced the sides I wrapped a lair of selotape round the switch (hoping this would help to keep out the dust ) before refitting.
I have had no trouble with the switch since
Hope this helps?
Phil

Had exactly the same problem with my lathe.
I took out the switch and examined the electro magnet the contacts were not burnt but were covered in a fine layer of dust you could see this through the perspex sides of the switch ( these perspex sides slide out )
I removed the sides blew out the dust and replaced the sides I wrapped a lair of selotape round the switch (hoping this would help to keep out the dust ) before refitting.
I have had no trouble with the switch since
Hope this helps?
Phil

Had a reply from Axminster to the e-mail I sent on Sunday by 09:14 this morning - new switch sent out today :D

Top marks for service.

Andrew

PowerTool":17db4cx3 said:
...Axminster ...Top marks for service.

Andrew

One comes to expect great service from Axminster... nice to know they're still cutting it :wink:

Never had any problems with Axminster's after-sales service.
Their pre-sales service is good too... That is, when I urgently needed a 'live-tail centre' they sent me one before I had even mailed the cheque.

The switch problem I also had, but it wasn't one of theirs. The cause was the same as sooty's, except, 'Zis, 'appened only vunce!' :D
John

Back