Help please DEFT T30

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTR

Established Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted nice to see the forum doing really well.
Yesterday I was cutting a piece off 18mm ply on my table saw a deft t30 I have had it since new a it has been very lightly used.
It turned on fine and run as usual no probs i finished the cut and turned it off then i went to turn it on again and it did not start up.
I pressed the start button and this time it started but very slowly and made a humming noise from the motor and it does not go up to full speed.
It sounds like the motor is not getting enough power so today I cleaned inside and out of motor and the cabinet but everything looks good any help and advice please.
I think it could be the on off switch I have attached some photos and a small clip of the problem.

I am trying to put pics up but it is saying file is to big do you think it could be the on off switch.

Im better with wood than electrics, hopefully an electrics whizz will be along soon.

I cant think a switch fault would allow the motor to hum but not start. My guess would be a switch would either allow current to flow not.

In order of probability the fault will 99% be

1) Start capacitor - this will be the electrically larger of the two. look for the number preceding MF, uF or MFD (all abbreviations for microfarad). Cheapish to buy on ebay - search on value MFD and motor run capacitor. Yes I know it is a start capacitor but sold as run ones are best. match the capacitance as close as you can and the same working voltage or higher NEVER lower.

2)Centrifugal switch - sometime inside the motor but more often behind the fan where it get covered in sawdust and just needs cleaning.

3)Worst, but thankfully pretty rare, is a failed starter winding which needs a replacement motor as rewinds are expensive unless you have a mate in the trade.

Thanks for the help lads going to get the start and run capacitor off and see if i can get any decent ones from RS electricals who are local to me.

Thanks lads replaced the start capacitor and back to normal runs better than before .

Back