Daft ebay bidding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhossydd

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the most ludicrous examples of over bidding I've seen for a long time. I'd thought woodturners were generally smarter than that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Axminster-woo ... true&rt=nc

So that's some daft person bidding £44 for something that's available from Axminster brand new for £24.96, the eBay seller's postage is even higher than from Axminster too.

I think you will find that if you try to purchase that 4 jaw set you will have to pay in excess of £135 from current catalogue.

Buyer got a bargain in my book.

Does no one read the listing ?

"THIS AUCTION IS FOR ONE SET OF JAWS COMPRISING OF FOUR QUADRANTS AND EIGHT RETAINING ALLEN SCREWS."

The listing is very misleading and if like me you read the first part especially " All four jaws are included " then it looks like you are bidding of all 4 sets.

if the seller has any sense he will confirm with the buyer exactly what he is getting otherwise he get a Item not as described case opened.

When selling keep things plain and simple !

clk230":5pmfiot7 said:
The listing is very misleading
Really ? just how clear is the sentence "THIS AUCTION IS FOR ONE SET OF JAWS COMPRISING OF FOUR QUADRANTS AND EIGHT RETAINING ALLEN SCREWS." ?
The seller gives the part number to be clear. There's even good photographs showing the contents.

You seem to want an argument , I find the ad misleading you don't , neither of us are the buyer/seller so not worth bothering about.

Sharpening thread anyone ?

clk230":3jfsv8sg said:
You seem to want an argument
I don't want an argument, I'm just staggered that anyone could think that advert misleading, it's just SO clear. The seller couldn't do any more to state what people are bidding on.

How do you think it could be clearer ? what misleads you ?

Rhossydd":1yf16jc3 said:
Does no one read the listing ?

"THIS AUCTION IS FOR ONE SET OF JAWS COMPRISING OF FOUR QUADRANTS AND EIGHT RETAINING ALLEN SCREWS."

Agreed but the original listing, which folks may have used to set a max bid on reading with associated box lid image image.
These were included in a box of Myford ML7 spares I bought and are of no use to me as they are for wood turning. They are new and unused but have some storage marks, see the photo of the one I unwrapped to illustrate condition. All four jaws are included. They come in original packaging, with the necessary Allen screws and keys required to fit.

If the buyer did place a max bid limit I think they will have good reason to feel aggrieved.

Not just me at least one person asked the seller what was included Chas (CHJ) also thought it was for 4 .

Yes looking closer you can see its for 1 set , Seller clearly thought maybe he hadn't made it clear enough so he added to the listing once it had gone live .

I'll repeat again if you look at the first few lines quickly (dieing minutes/seconds of auction) then it isn't very clear IMHO. Plus the 1st picture shows the box with 4 jaws . ok so he says " All four jaws are included " not jaw sets .

Poorly written ad/picture choice .

clk230":2ag6ysls said:
Yes looking closer you can see its for 1 set
Why would you not look closely at an advert for something you were thinking of bidding on ?
Seller clearly thought maybe he hadn't made it clear enough so he added to the listing once it had gone live .
He added the answer to a question he'd been asked. He'd already gone to the trouble of photographing and posting the contents of the box.
Plus the 1st picture shows the box with 4 jaws . ok so he says " All four jaws are included " not jaw sets.
That's the box that Axminster supply the jaws in, what's the seller supposed to do ? NOT show the box at all ?

CHJ":309p5cpd said:
If the buyer did place a max bid limit I think they will have good reason to feel aggrieved.
The winning bid was placed less than a minute before the bidding closed. A WEEK after the question about how many jaw sets were included was added to the listing, although it was clear enough before.

Rhossydd":2t2hk3dl said:
CHJ":2t2hk3dl said:
The winning bid was placed less than a minute before the bidding closed. A WEEK after the question about how many jaw sets were included was added to the listing, although it was clear enough before.

Please read what I said about dieing minutes/seconds of the auction ending then read what you said about less than a minute before bidding closed !

clk230":3s5jnwfn said:
Please read what I said about dieing minutes/seconds of the auction ending then read what you said about less than a minute before bidding closed !
Why would you bid on an item if you hadn't read the listing ?
eBay listings frequently have all sorts of details on the item being offered that may have a very significant bearing on the value of the item that wouldn't be clear from just the title and first photograph.

Only a fool bids on a listing they haven't read.

The listing seems clear enough to me. I think one would have to be very lax to misunderstand it.

Rhossydd":2nsl9i2p said:
clk230":2nsl9i2p said:
Why would you bid on an item if you hadn't read the listing ?
eBay listings frequently have all sorts of details on the item being offered that may have a very significant bearing on the value of the item that wouldn't be clear from just the title and first photograph.

Only a fool bids on a listing they haven't read.

I wouldn't bid without reading the full listing !!!!!

There was enough doubt deliberate or otherwise for more than one person to believe that the listing was for 4 jaw sets !
Yes reading the listing in full anyone can see what is for sale BUT the listing could/should have been worded better IMO.

Maybe you honestly can't see it .

Rhossydd":3tp1kvtj said:
clk230":3tp1kvtj said:
Maybe you honestly can't see it .
I'm not the one who is having any trouble understanding the listing.

You seem hellbent on causing an argument/bad feeling on what is normally a very nice forum !

You picked a listing on ebay that sold for more than its retail value ,you don't seem to understand that I have offered an explanation as to why this is the case.

Other than my 1st comment on this thread where else have I said the listing is for 4 sets all I've done is try (failed) to try and make you understand where any confusion may have arised .

Back