Daft ebay bidding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIGNAL":20msl8rp said:
The listing seems clear enough to me. I think one would have to be very lax to misunderstand it.

Me too.

It often surprises me how much over the odds folks pay on eBay.

woodpig":19gvnx63 said:
It is strange.

I sell quite a lot on eBay and can recall several occasions when my second-hand item has fetched more that a new one.

I feel quite guilty taking the money. :)

woodpig":348al4lh said:
Quite.
There are cases where a buyer may have spotted a seller is mis-describing an item and it's worth a lot more than, at first glance, might be apparent. Someone might also seem to bid a lot if the item was difficult to normally obtain. But neither of those scenarios are applicable in this case, it's just craziness.

Perhaps it's because it's on Ebay. They just assume that because it's on Ebay it must be a bargain!
Which probably just about sums ebay up: a bit of everything.

I saw a rather nice auto ignition propane torch on eBay some years ago at a very good starting price. The description however didn't match the picture so I contacted the seller who turned out to be a clearance shop of some sort. They said they would have to remove the item from sale (due to incorrect model number in description) but would I like to buy it anyway at the start price? Confirming that I was buying the item pictured I got a real bargain. Brand new, still in the bag and about 20% of the retail price! You can still get good deals on eBay in spite of a few numpties determined to pay over the odds. :D

I think part of the reason some silly people pay over the odds on ebay is due to clever tactics on ebay's part. Ebay convince you that your in a competition. You're trying to 'win'. I often hear the phrase "I won this or that on ebay" I never hear "I bought this or that on ebay", unless it was a BIN. Some people are small minded enough to see over-bidding and 'winning' as a triumph to boast about.

Or maybe they just don't read the description, or maybe the description is misleading, or maybe the actual product box itself is a little bit mis-representative of exactly what's inside.

Or, maybe the 'winning' bidder is a bit of a dick.

Then 2 otherwise sensible people will argue over it on a forum.

maybe the winning bidder viewed on a mobile ,the main thing you see is the 1st PICTURE and you would presume you are bidding on a box containing 4 jaw sets, a picture speaks a thousand words

I'm not saying that the listing is stating that you bidding on 4 sets , all I'm trying to do is give a valid reason as to why this sold for more than the retail value !!

I think the listing is misleading, not intentional I think. Of course if you read every word then you know what you are getting but if you have a quick look it does look like the auction's for 4 jaws, ie 4 sets of jaws.

The main photo shows the box which has 4 jaws on it.

The first paragraph says "They are new and unused but have some storage marks, see the photo of the one I unwrapped to illustrate condition. All four jaws are included".

Back