You know when you spot something on ebay, listed wrongly and think you're on to a winner.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t get the last minute bidding thing. If I see something I just put in my maximum bid. If someone bids more then I’m not going to be hovering over it and emotionally put in a higher bid than I wanted. If someone else does bid more then that’s fine as it went for more than I was prepared to pay. If I win the bidding only goes up to a winning level not to my maximum. I think sniping is more to do with emotion than economics.

The problem with your approach is dishonest sellers. You get sellers who will use a second account to make shill bids. They can then bump the price up to your maximum. You will often see people place a lot of small incremental bids and then at the last moment retract their last bid. You then end up paying your maximum bid.

The problem with your approach is dishonest sellers. You get sellers who will use a second account to make shill bids. They can then bump the price up to your maximum. You will often see people place a lot of small incremental bids and then at the last moment retract their last bid. You then end up paying your maximum bid.
Sure and some people will send you rubbish or broken items, others will delist if the bids don't go high enough. Ebay has its share of dishonest people and that is the price you pay for using it, but in my experience the majority of people are honest. My point was I only bid what I am prepared to pay. On that basis if a shill account bumps it up to my maximum I still got it for what I was prepared to pay. Conversely there are many people who keep entering individual lower bids until they just get to the winning point, they then sit around agonising and usually convince themselves to go higher if someone else jumps in. It's easy to believe you are being ripped off if you have to bid more than you want to to get a win, even more so if you have invested effort in to trying to game the system. Snipping is really just another form of dopamine addiction, just like gambling :).
For me simply putting in my maximum bid and forgetting about it until I get the outbid or won it email works the best.

Sure and some people will send you rubbish or broken items, others will delist if the bids don't go high enough. Ebay has its share of dishonest people and that is the price you pay for using it, but in my experience the majority of people are honest. My point was I only bid what I am prepared to pay. On that basis if a shill account bumps it up to my maximum I still got it for what I was prepared to pay. Conversely there are many people who keep entering individual lower bids until they just get to the winning point, they then sit around agonising and usually convince themselves to go higher if someone else jumps in. It's easy to believe you are being ripped off if you have to bid more than you want to to get a win, even more so if you have invested effort in to trying to game the system. Snipping is really just another form of dopamine addiction, just like gambling :).
For me simply putting in my maximum bid and forgetting about it until I get the outbid or won it email works the best.

Each to their own. I prefer to use a sniping tool to automatically put my maximum bid in seconds before the end of the auction. That way you do not draw attention to the listing, plus you can always pull the bid if the auction looks a bit dodgy without having to retract through ebay.

Each to their own. I prefer to use a sniping tool to automatically put my maximum bid in seconds before the end of the auction. That way you do not draw attention to the listing, plus you can always pull the bid if the auction looks a bit dodgy without having to retract through ebay.
Indeed nothing wrong with that approach if it works for you. There are some very interesting achedemic papers on eBay bidding approaches.

In the last two weeks I have posted twice a Multi Function Tester on e-bay, the first guy backed out the second guy today has not responded to the Invoice he asked me to send him, so now the wait of two days within which he can pay, very frustrating waiting around for him to respond, should have stuck to my guns and kept too collection only, not do the buyer a favour and organise a courier at his expense as asked.

Back