Customs declarations and brexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The UK won't be rejoining....not for a generation at least.

We will build a closer relationship with Europe though.

That's exactly what most Brexiteers want though, a close trading relationship based on mutual benefit but with as little political interference as possible.

Workshop forum and bloody Brexit. Well, here is my oar...

I didn’t/don’t know whether Brexit was or is for the long term good of the UK.

l live in the EU and am married to a European but I can trace my ‘Britishness’ back 300 years or more and mostly boring, the only ‘foreigners’ being introduced by me.

My Grandfathers and their generation had to fight. They suffered both physically and mentally. Not pleasant or anything they or their generation wanted their descendants to have to do again. That is why Europe as an idea was created - to stop division and conflict. You have to be a real bigot and a bit of an silly person to believe that we in Europe and the UK are that much different.

Europe and its governance is far from perfect and neither is the UK. However, the UK is now out of Europe. I wondered what effect this would have on me:

So far, I have had to apply for residency, at least two full days of paperwork including having my fingerprints taken and an ‘interview’. Services which I used from the UK that were valid in Europe no longer are, so I have to find European based people to do the same thing. Some of my previously automatic privileges and rights as a Brit in Europe have been taken away and I feel less welcome. Brexit has sparked a nationalist rise in a few European countries and some would argue this is good but as with Brexit I just do not see the gain.

A question for the Brexiters - how has Brexit helped me? Another one - how will it help me in the future?

As a side note, the international firm I work for was built by a Brit and has a very British name. It was bought/sold to Americans when he died but still based in the UK so tax and admin went there. Post Brexit, it is now officially based in Shannon, Ireland. In case anybody thinks like I did, before I moved there, that our friendly neighbours gain is good for us too....it isn’t, because they hate us there(on the whole).

we just need another country with th b**** to leave as well........then that pack of cards will have to change.....
the idea of the EU was good for trade but the self serving, greedy a holes controlling it ruined it.....thats why we left.....
to many chef's comes to mind......
I live within the EU and glad we left for our childeren's long term future........

when the world decided that South Africa was a bad place.....the S Afrikan's closed ranks and just got on with it......
Now they dont need us......this is exactly what we should do.......
Oh and the only country to still trade with them at that time was GERMANY.......u only see Merc truck's there now....or at least when I lived there....
Of course it's gone to pot now.......

we need to keep the Commmies out of power and start manufacturing and increase RnD ourselves.......
then sell our skills to the world.....

we need to .......... start manufacturing and increase RnD ourselves.......
then sell our skills to the world.....
But not to the EU, thanks to Brexit. We have broken all sorts of ties with R&D, education/cultural exchange, EU research/developmental programs, not just trade.
We've also dipped out of trade agreements which the EU made as a bloc, made trade more difficult with our largest trading partner, and now having to compete with them on the world market instead of working with them.
Not sure what SAfrica has to do with it - nothing at all as far as I can see.

Last edited:
Funny how brexiters get this completely upside down. Strange.
The simple fact of the EU is that it developed to make trade easier by agreeing common rules and regulations. There's a clue in the title "Common Market".
The glaringly obvious consequence of brexit was to make trade MORE difficult, not less. This was pointed out over and over again from the start and now we see the obvious consequences as predicted.
A real mystery that Brexiters could not see this very simple fact!
An even bigger mystery is how on earth brexit can give the UK any advantage at all, anywhere, over anything.
Just saying!
My beef with sending to Jersey I now see was because I was sent the wrong form and it asked for my passport number and other stuff. Their mistake. It did say that this was the new post Brexit form however.

But, but, but......
This just doesn't apply to the UK.
The US are complaining about the ridiculous amount of paper work for shipped goods, and threatening action against the EU.
Even EU companies and private EU residents are complaining that purchase single source goods from the UK.
Plus every carrier has goods and parcels stuck in warehouses while hand filled forms are checked and re checked, then refused to deliver If incorrect with mountains just sat there.
If it starts affecting the likes of EU big businesses things will change, if indeed they aren't already.
As you said.
Just saying.

But not to the EU, thanks to Brexit. We have broken all sorts of ties with R&D, education/cultural exchange, EU research/developmental programs, not just trade.
We've also dipped out of trade agreements which the EU made as a bloc, made trade more difficult with our largest trading partner, and now having to compete with them on the world market instead of working with them.
Not sure what SAfrica has to do with it - nothing at all as far as I can see.

Incorrect.
its because of China

That's exactly what most Brexiteers want though, a close trading relationship based on mutual benefit but with as little political interference as possible.
Ah the "take back control" mantra.

Thats what Brexiters were sold, it's not reality.

take back control is only for the Tufton street gang....not the people.

A question for the Brexiters - how has Brexit helped me? Another one - how will it help me in the future

Netherlands seem a popular place for UK businesses to move to.

I've heard of loads and loads of UK businesses move there - because Brexit effectively slams the door shut on their European customer base.

Is Brexit of any interest in the media in the Netherlands?

I'm sure Bob will have some sour comment about how it is remainers fault and just bleating, but this really is not good.

One in Four Small U.K. Exporters Halt EU Sales Amid Brexit Costs - Bloomberg

Not at all, most of my comments are about starting another brexit thread through the back door by remainers. It's done as far as I'm concerned and we get on with it or in your case don't, if you want to think me sour then that's fine.
I suspect you even question the oil stones existance.
I suggested Sploo was a bit of a wally for thinking there was no class system in the UK and he basically agreed and reworded his statement. Apart from that I don't think there is any mention "of all this id your fault", I think you are crediting me with too much.
Do you think a CN22 form is difficult to fill in? Some here were positively cheering the fact Jacob had to fill out a form, get real, it's a very very small form, a nothing, 1 min of time, yet then are prepared to spend hour arguing, it's petty/ridiculous/ small mindedness. Just look at it and be embarassed.
Would you have started a thread on it. Just look at Jacobs follow on posts, it's just a brexit thread, surely you see that, nothing to do with a form.
I have lots of new forms to fill in at work, probably on a monthly basis, would it be of interested if I posted them up, maybe we could all post up the forms we fill in, I'm all for a dull club?

The only reason I post on these threads is balance. On the very first thread it became a remainers paradise, or a "Bullyboys gang" including mods who were unable to moderate due to them overstepping the mark thenselves. I refuse to let this one become so bias. Looks like there are plenty this time around who feel the same way.

I genuinely believe the sourness comes from remianers, why wouldn't it, they didn't get what they expected (lost) and the working class gave them a good kick in the goolies (ooch).

Fundamentally a lot of this comes down to bitterness as well but thats a very long thread. Basically how middle class life is not quite what everyone wants, grass is always greener etc ..... trades earning too much, university not what it was, etc.

Last edited:
Jacob
S Africa is a good example / comparison of us against the rest of the world.....
just get of the stool and start to work out waht's best for us and it aint getting back with the EU....
Use em when it suits us and drop when it dont, just like they do......
Independance is a great thing......

Not at all, most of my comments are about starting another brexit thread through the back door by remainers. It's done as far as I'm concerned and we get on with it or in your case don't, if you want to think me sour then that's fine.
I suspect you even question the oil stones existance.
I suggested Sploo was a bit of a wally for thinking there was no class system in the UK and he basically agreed and reworded his statement. Apart from that I don't think there is any mention "of all this id your fault", I think you are crediting me with too much.
Do you think a CN22 form is difficult to fill in? Some here were positively cheering the fact Jacob had to fill out a form, get real, it's a very very small form, a nothing, 1 min of time, yet then are prepared to spend hour arguing, it's petty/ridiculous/ small mindedness. Just look at it and be embarassed.
Would you have started a thread on it.
I have lots of new forms to fill in at work, probably on a monthly basis, would it be of interested if I posted them up, maybe we could all post up the forms we fill in, I'm all for a dull club?

The only reason I post on these threads is balance. On the very first thread it became a remainers paradise, or a "Bullyboys gang" including mods who were unable to moderate due to them overstepping the mark thenselves. I refuse to let this one become so bias. Looks like there are plenty this time around who feel the same way.
I've already said several times I was wrong about the form - they sent me the wrong one, I didn't know, I don't care!
But it raised a thread! Not my intention particularly.
Nevertheless I do find these threads interesting - I like hearing what people have to say about these issues and it forces people to think about things - I find myself having to look up sources and checking facts etc.
I don't think I've ever objected to people saying what they think, though I've often disagreed with what they say.
There seems to be a need for constructive dialogue and it must be a good thing.
I'm particularly interested in those, like Bobby, who want us to shut up. I guess the hint that they may be wrong about things disturbs them, and they'd rather not know!
Anyway Bobby if it's balance you are concerned about what about coming up with some real life examples of the Brexit advantages? Seems to have drawn a complete blank so far.

“Is Brexit of any interest in the media in the Netherlands?”

It was huge at the time but now, not really. People I speak to are either for Nexit - Netherlands exit, or they are disappointed with the UK.

Many arguments against the EU seem to me to be upside down. ‘Elf an safety’ stifling business for example....what, you mean rules to stop employers subjecting their workforce to conditions that might damage their health?! ‘Bloody eu control stifling my motorbike horsepower’ and forcing manufacturers to consider(a little bit) the pollution and environmental effects of their products. I’m sure these rules do cause expense and hassle for manufacturers but the people who benefit are the many, not the few.

Sorry if that sounds a bit ‘commie’.

I'm particularly interested in those, like Bobby, who want us to shut up. I guess the hint that they may be wrong about things disturbs them, and they'd rather not know!

I said I want balance, not a thread dominated by you other remainers.
Not once have I asked for a thread to be shut, stop making things up.
I'm in business Jacob, I bring things in from the EU, I work with companies bringing in stuff. I have a kitchen going to portugal in the Autumn.
I suspect I know more than "shatting me pants at a 4 line form"

I'm very much a pragmatist, I just get on with it. I find worrying and fault finding and delaying just messes everything up.

I said I want balance, not a thread dominated by you other remainers.
Not once have I asked for a thread to be shut, stop making things up.
I'm in business Jacob, I bring things in from the EU, I work with companies bringing in stuff. I have a kitchen going to portugal in the Autumn.
I suspect I know more than "shatting me pants at a 4 line form"
No reason why remainers shouldn't talk amongst themselves - you don't have to join in if you don't want to.
If somebody started a thread about saws would you complain that they are ignoring planes?

No reason why remainers shouldn't talk amongst themselves - you don't have to join in if you don't want to.
If somebody started a thread about saws would you complain that they are ignoring planes?

Yes probably when they started to make snide comments about planes and called them thick, and planes didn't know diddly squat. When people said saws were superior and scoffed at dirty little planes.
Somehow the planes rose up and kicked the saws in the goolies and the saws did not like it. 🤣 🤣🤣

Bit like if someone was to start a thread on overhanding with a paintpot balanced on top, nothing to do with me but I'd post to say it's the practice of an silly person.

Keep going Jacob, I'm in the right mood for this.

Yes probably when they started to make snide comments about planes and called them thick, and planes didn't know diddly squat. When people said saws were superior and scoffed at dirty little planes.
Somehow the planes rose up and kicked the saws in the goolies and the saws did not like it. 🤣 🤣🤣
I've never called anybody thick or accused them of being a dirty little anything.
T'other way round - how many times have you jeered at me over not filling in a form? Not that I'm bothered - scoffing and jeering is what you do - it's your speciality!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back