Customs declarations and brexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give you a chance, Have a think, work on it, don't reply instantly.
Hit me with something decent, thought out.

In the meantime, why not change the title of the thread to "delivery company sent me wrong form".

Last edited:
I'll give you a chance, Have a think, work on it, don't reply instantly.
Hit me with something decent, thought out.

In the meantime, why not change the title of the thread to "delivery company sent me wrong form".
Does seem to worry you this form thing!
Sun shining I'm off for a short run - maybe you need some fresh air too. o_O
PS Back again, nice day for it, touch of snow!
Re "balance" I think these threads DO represent the balance of opinion - there's a very diverse bunch in here with just woodwork in common. A good cross section of society. Thats what makes it more interesting than a one sided political forum

Last edited:
Does seem to worry you this form thing!

Well yes, just trying to get it back on thread topic track, it did seem very important to you at the time (enough to post about it) maybe it has become less important to you now that it has been trivialized. (do you think you over sensationalized it?)

Referring to your original post

Brexit dividend strikes again!
Sold a low cost item on Ebay going to the Channel islands. Have to fill in a ludicrous customs declaration - not worth the time, nor risk of getting it wrong, so cancelled!
If I did it again I'd ask for p&p plus £5 for admin.

So far we have established
1/ you got the wrong form, but lets blame it on brexit
2/ you tried to fill out form, couldn't be bothered to find stuff, but lets blame it on brexit
3/ you never bothered to google what form was needed, but had time to post about it on a woodworking forum blaming it on brexit
4/ The gang joins in, has a few pokes at me, blames everything on brexit
5/ Then the questions as to why I'm posting here, trolling, sour comments etc. The gangs annoyance at alternative viewpoints is very odd but predictable. Tribalism.

Pretty much the standard procedure, read any internet forum anywhere and it's the same. Same questions, same answers etc.

So be grateful this one is different and I keep trying to bring it back on track of "form filling and the difficulties".
I'm a little bit surprised to be honest that a Labour party candidate has posted about his struggles with it but very honest and open of you.Are you worried it could affect your political career if the media were to pick up on it (shhh .......... don't worry, I ain't no grass)?

You do seem worried about forms! Is it your Portuguese job getting to you? I'm sure you'd get good advice on here if you hit a snag or two.
A lot of Portugeezers speak English. I expect that will become a thing of the past as the UK fades away in international importance

Yes probably when they started to make snide comments about planes and called them thick, and planes didn't know diddly squat. When people said saws were superior and scoffed at dirty little planes.
Somehow the planes rose up and kicked the saws in the goolies and the saws did not like it. 🤣 🤣🤣

Bit like if someone was to start a thread on overhanding with a paintpot balanced on top, nothing to do with me but I'd post to say it's the practice of an silly person.

Keep going Jacob, I'm in the right mood for this.
Exactly this. These posts are just bait to start another argument and somehow re-reun the referendum in a woodworking forum like it's going to change anything.

This thread should have been "I hate the new forms" with the replies being "you got the wrong one" and then it's over but the snide comments are just to bait other people into another debate which has happened.

Weren't you the one who made an entire thread about forms and how terrible they were?
I said I was wrong about the form with my third post!
However I do understand that a lot of Brexiters are not happy being called to account for the brexit fiasco. It won't stop though! I will myself as far as this thread is concerned.

Last edited:
You do seem worried about forms! Is it your Portuguese job getting to you? I'm sure you'd get good advice on here if you hit a snag or two.

No it's going fine, I'm a big boy now and ask for professional advice rather than flouncing off on a woodworking forum. I know that sounds a bit strange Jacob!!
The trick is to research.
What would your advice be, throw the form away, don't make the kitchen and have a blub on a woodworking forum?

Last edited:
A lot of Portugeezers speak English. I expect that will become a thing of the past as the UK fades away in international importance

I think "English speaking" is linked to the Empire and probably not a bad thing to diversify. Can't live in the glorious days of your youth Jacob.

Last edited:
However I do understand that a lot of Brexiters are not happy being called to account for the brexit fiasco.

Your right .................. man cannot cope with filling in small form ............... well that's called me to account,you got me :) .
I'm quaking in me boots waiting for the next breaking news............... "my stamp won't stick, due brexit".........

Last edited:
It's lucky for then that the EU have allowed exports of the vaccine at the expense of their own people.

How many vaccines has the USA exported?

Allowed? Where on Earth do you get the idea that the EU Commission has 'allowed' vaccine export? Vaccines have been purchased, paid for and exported by private companies according to contract law. Any detriment to 'their own people' is entirely down to the incompetence and greed of the EU Commission and this should not be a surprise to anyone, given their current EU Commission President.

Sure, the EU Commission could legislate to prevent vaccine export, but that would be high risk, because, in this globalised world, some of the base products used to produce the vaccines are imported (some from the UK) and retaliation legislation would further impact the already incompetently managed vaccination of people resident in Europe. You may have noticed references to 'vaccine war'? This is what is meant by that and politicians are desperate to avoid it because it will escalate to non-vaccine issues (there have already been rumblings from some Tory MPs about threatening to withdraw security support (i.e. the British armed forces) from Europe, should the EU prevent vaccine export).

Thankfully, this vaccine nonsense will soon be in the past, with all parties having learned not to depend on foreigners for critical supplies. For me, I also believe this experience to have been proof that the UK is far better off being away from the incompetent dinosaur that is the EU. Much better that we only have our own incompetent government to contend with, but at least we can vote for them to be replaced with another incompetent dinosaur at the next General Election.

Allowed? Where on Earth do you get the idea that the EU Commission has 'allowed' vaccine export? Vaccines have been purchased, paid for and exported by private companies according to contract law. Any detriment to 'their own people' is entirely down to the incompetence and greed of the EU Commission and this should not be a surprise to anyone, given their current EU Commission President.

Sure, the EU Commission could legislate to prevent vaccine export, but that would be high risk, because, in this globalised world, some of the base products used to produce the vaccines are imported (some from the UK) and retaliation legislation would further impact the already incompetently managed vaccination of people resident in Europe. You may have noticed references to 'vaccine war'? This is what is meant by that and politicians are desperate to avoid it because it will escalate to non-vaccine issues (there have already been rumblings from some Tory MPs about threatening to withdraw security support (i.e. the British armed forces) from Europe, should the EU prevent vaccine export).

Thankfully, this vaccine nonsense will soon be in the past, with all parties having learned not to depend on foreigners for critical supplies. For me, I also believe this experience to have been proof that the UK is far better off being away from the incompetent dinosaur that is the EU. Much better that we only have our own incompetent government to contend with, but at least we can vote for them to be replaced with another incompetent dinosaur at the next General Election.

I think you put that quite well.

the EU like Scotland have had a good run but both wouldn't succumb to change, even when it was blatantly obvious change was needed.
Looking at history shows that leaders and institutions only have a finite time scale to better or change things, if they don't the old ways become obsolete, leaders get old the population get sick of regimes not giving what's required and they fade away without any legacy and the country is left in a mess.I

Enter the next bunch to try

The UK vaccine scenario has zero to do with Brexit - it was initiated whilst we were still in EU and would have been done the same had stayed in. A credit to British science and the govt, but a brexit non issue.
Yes the EU seemed to be incompetent, but then so were the Brits in early delays resulting in us having worst death rate than any comparable European state except Belgium.
These are beside the point. What we are looking for now is any sign of tangible UK benefits coming from Brexit.
So far there seems to be zero, not even something to look forwards to in the near future, which is astonishing bearing in mind that it has been 5 years in the planning, and so much was promised.
We have brexit now and we want to see more than hot air and tub thumping, which is what we've had for five years.
Come on brexiters - show us that it's been worthwhile!
On the other hand the dis-benefits seem to be mounting up and surprising everybody, not just our fishing industry!

Last edited:
It won't stop though! I will myself as far as this thread is concerned.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 hello nice to see you back, I was worried about above statement, my god you stick to your guns, 4 whole hours, bravo that man, I admire your stance, you showed us :)

Vaccines have been purchased, paid for and exported by private companies according to contract law.

the USA govt havent allowed vaccines to be exported....so what makes you think the EU commission couldnt have done the same.

incompetence and greed of the EU Commission
I dont understand -either the vaccines were exported by private companies or they werent.

If you say they were private companies then how can you come to the conclusion that it was down to "greed of the commission"

desperate to avoid it because it will escalate to non-vaccine issues
well given the EU has a gdp of $16 trillion and the UK only $2.8 trillion.
and given 46% of UK exports go to EU and only 8% of EU exports go to UK
and the UK hasnt yet negotiated a trade deal for financial service

Id be interested to know how that would work out..............

For me, I also believe this experience to have been proof that the UK is far better off being away from the incompetent dinosaur that is the EU

The EU is the worlds largest customs union and has gone further than any other trade bloc to remove trade barriers.
20% of the worlds currency reserves are held in Euros

I would hardly call it incompetent nor a dinosaur

with all parties having learned not to depend on foreigners for critical supplies.
are you sure? -I think you might find that ship has well and truly sailed

UK gets almost 75% of its medicines and 50% of its clinical consumables from or through the EU
Hinckley point -being built by EDF financed by China
most of our train operators are European companies

this vaccine nonsense will soon be in the past, with all parties having learned not to depend on foreigners for critical supplies

you think it "vaccine nonsense" that the number of vaccines exported from the EU is over 77 million doses?
UK and USA have exported zero

"The bloc has received 88 million doses, of which 62 million have so far been given out, new figures released by the European Commission (EC) showed, while it has exported 77 million doses across the world, including to North and South America, Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.

However, the largest portion of 21 million doses went to shore up the UK’s vaccination campaign, according to an EU official, a figure that would make up the bulk of the roughly 30 million doses so far given out in Britain."
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/pol...e-been-administered-to-its-citizens-1.4520417

So the UKs vaccine programme has only been possible due to the EU......I am sure you want to thank them :)

The AZ vaccine was developed by Oxford uni with funds given by the UK government and is being produced in an AZ factory in the EU that was given a large investment from the UK on condition that the UK was supplied with the production.
This was a normal investment with a private company and the UK government but the EU seem to think that everybody else should take the risk and they can take the benefit

the USA govt havent allowed vaccines to be exported....so what makes you think the EU commission couldnt have done the same.

The USA are self reliant, similar to how many Brexiteers want the UK to be I guess. They don't need to rely on other countries for the production of vaccines or supplies to produce them which both the EU and UK are. They also signed contracts to buy any and all vaccines quickly (like the UK, unlike the EU) so they were never even offered for sale to other countries as they had a guaranteed sale at home.

Hinckley point -being built by EDF financed by China

This has actually made the point for AlanY to be honest. I saw a few weeks ago an MP suggesting that if the EU can't be relied on to honour contracts in a crisis we need to look again at essential products and services and bringing them back to the UK. An possible future energy crisis and EDF were specifically mentioned as an example.

Train operators doesn't exactly score too many points as well.
Mind you I'm in commuter belt so maybe not the best.

The UK vaccine scenario has zero to do with Brexit - it was initiated whilst we were still in EU and would have been done the same had stayed in. A credit to British science and the govt, but a brexit non issue.
Yes the EU seemed to be incompetent, but then so were the Brits in early delays resulting in us having worst death rate than any comparable European state except Belgium.
These are beside the point. What we are looking for now is any sign of tangible UK benefits coming from Brexit.
So far there seems to be zero, not even something to look forwards to in the near future, which is astonishing bearing in mind that it has been 5 years in the planning, and so much was promised.
We have brexit now and we want to see more than hot air and tub thumping, which is what we've had for five years.
Come on brexiters - show us that it's been worthwhile!
On the other hand the dis-benefits seem to be mounting up and surprising everybody, not just our fishing industry!

First tangible benefit is that we haven't been forced to join the Euro. There is no doubt in my mind if we had voted remain we would have been forced to join the Euro project.
Second tangible benefit is that we have no responsibility for the huge amounts of money the EU have borrowed on the pretence of a covid recovery fund but in truth is to prop up some of their failed economies just so they can continue paying interest on the bail out loans that have been given over many years and have no chance of ever being able to pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back