Customs declarations and brexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true. I'm not sure we can give the EU credit for that or say the EU are exporting them though. That's private companies and citizens who are developing, making, bottling and distributing the vaccine. They are in the EU, yes but we don't give the British government credit for everything the UK makes and distributes.

Sure, the EU can make laws to block the vaccine being exported but that doesn't make the vaccines made in the EU theirs, they will still belong to companies making them rather than the EU. I guess they could try pass laws to take them from the companies by force because they need them but then again any thief could claim they needed the things they take.

The EU could have legally negotiated these vaccines like the UK did but their own incompetence prevented that.
Thank you for acknowledging the UKs vaccination programme has only been possible because of the EU....2 reasons: EU companies having the expertise and EU not preventing vaccine exports.

The USA govt made contracts with USA pharmas, effectively preventing exports.
The EU could have done the same.

they'll just have to try harder!

That's the spirit, like filling in that form, stick with it you'll get there, you remembered your address yet?

Look up where a labour candidate did awful in the council elections in the derbyshire area, that will narrow the location down a bit for you.

That's the spirit, like filling in that form, stick with it you'll get there, you remembered your address yet?

Look up where a labour candidate did awful in the council elections in the derbyshire area, that will narrow the location down a bit for you.
Be fair Bob
He wasn't to know that the result would have been better had he resisted the urge to go around knocking on doors. ;) :)

This thread demonstrates one of the worst outcomes of Brexit - division. That division seems to have percolated through the whole of our society. Frequently it manifests itself in ways which are unpleasant, nasty, and often childish and cruel. It's corrosive, and it's difficult to see how that is benefitting us at the simple level of this forum, let alone at a national level.

He tried and got seriously dumped, definitely a wannabe politician because the explanation given was it's a paper exercise ;)
I'm not sure that's fair. Being elected, or not elected doesn't particularly reflect badly on anyone as human, their values or beliefs. The current selection of politicians shows that. I could name quite a few who are terrible human beings and just as many who really wanted to do good who never got elected.

Hi all

Incase anyone else is looking at a combo belt/disc sander with a 4 inch belt and 8 inch disc I have the following info:

SIP SIP 4 costing £171 and weighs 34Kg with 500 Watt induction motor.

This is now £192 so is this to do with Brexit or just plain old profiteering?

This thread demonstrates one of the worst outcomes of Brexit - division. That division seems to have percolated through the whole of our society. Frequently it manifests itself in ways which are unpleasant, nasty, and often childish and cruel. It's corrosive, and it's difficult to see how that is benefitting us at the simple level of this forum, let alone at a national level.
I don't see Brexit division healing for a decade at least.

I expect slowly the UK will build a closer relationship with the EU to remove damaging trade barriers

It is odd that if you look around yourself then trying to find anything with made in the UK is difficult, from Europe not a lot but it seems China, Taiwan and Asia in general are the big players so does that suggest that we import via Europe otherwise why so many issues, again I think from Europes aspect they want to make it hard to prove a point and from the UK there are people trying to use it as an excuse to raise prices.

I don't see Brexit division healing for a decade at least.

I expect slowly the UK will build a closer relationship with the EU to remove damaging trade barriers
It's inevitable that we will be rejoining, little by little, without many of the advantages we had previously.

Last edited:
It is odd that if you look around yourself then trying to find anything with made in the UK is difficult, .....
Not really odd - it was deliberate govt policy from 1979 to run down basic industry, sell off, privatise, etc to turn UK into a finance and service economy. "Neo liberalism" - allowing the markets to decide with minimal govt intervention/control and disempowered unions..
Ask yourself what happened to ICI for instance.
One odd detail lately has been govt advice to firms struggling with brexit that they should set up EU branches to get around the red tape caused by Brexit. Many have gone, lock stock and barrel.

Last edited:
It's inevitable that will be rejoining, little by little, without many of the advantages we had previously.
I don't see that at all. The support for Brexit and separation from the EU is probably at an all time high post-covid. That'll last for a generation or more. Any party that proposes joining the EU by the back door is going to get destroyed in the polls, as Labour discovered in the last election.

I don't see that at all. The support for Brexit and separation from the EU is probably at an all time high post-covid. That'll last for a generation or more. Any party that proposes joining the EU by the back door is going to get destroyed in the polls, as Labour discovered in the last election.
It depends on there being any evidence of Brexit advantage. We have seen nothing so far - 5 years in to the process.
Unless it is forthcoming there could be a complete change around and pressure to re-join by the front door!

Not really odd - it was deliberate govt policy from 1979 to run down basic industry, sell off, privatise, etc to turn UK into a finance and service economy. "Neo liberalism" - allowing the markets to decide with minimal govt intervention/control and disempowered unions..

You need to let it go Jacob, I know it was probably upsetting when it went **** up but it was over 40 years ago, not good if it's still getting to you

I'm not sure that is true

Latest Ipsos poll puts:

39% of people think Brexit has had a positive effect
38% of people think Brexit has had a negative effect.

Clearly vaccine roll out is giving a boost, but within the next 6 months the world will be awash with vaccines.

Brexit damage has been hidden by the pandemic, but it will become more obvious as time goes on.

You need to let it go Jacob, I know it was probably upsetting when it went **** up but it was over 40 years ago, not good if it's still getting to you
Started 40 years ago, still going strong, steady privatisation of NHS just one notable example amongst many.
I bet many people don't even remember ICI

It depends on there being any evidence of Brexit advantage. We have seen nothing so far - 5 years in to the process.
Unless it is forthcoming there could be a complete change around and pressure to re-join by the front door!

Very similar to you banging on about Jezza having a major victory .......... actually I don't think you have called anything correct to date.

Remain will win
Labour victory 1
labour victory 2
brexit won't happen (be reversed by Boris)
Rebecca long bailey

to be honest when you say something will happen it never does, I like knowing your predictions usually prove the opposite.

It's inevitable that will be rejoining, little by little, without many of the advantages we had previously.
The UK won't be rejoining....not for a generation at least.

We will build a closer relationship with Europe though.

The UK won't be rejoining....not for a generation at least.

We will build a closer relationship with Europe though.
Same difference: building/rebuilding is rejoining but differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back