Customs declarations and brexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes we were still in the EU, in a transition period, getting ready to leave, would be leaving just a few months later.

Yeah we were "still in the EU"

Good lord I have nuclear strike sirens that didn't drone on as much as this.

I am wondering, are you going to do a Milligan on your headstone.

"Here's lies Jacob"

"Are there any benefits to Brexit?"

No thanks to Brexit. The UK vac prog was initiated whilst still in. We would have done the same if we had stayed in.
So - basically drawn a blank?
Yes the UK vac prog was initiated whilst still in.....but also Germany and some other EU nations also made deals with vac manufacturers, however the EU then said we must act together and EU nations agreed the commission would negotiate on their behalf.

If the UK was still an EU member our vaccine roll out would be at a similar stage to France.

I'm no fan of Brexit, but the UK acting alone: it paid more, absolved the pharmas from any liability and in return got vaccines quicker........that couldn't have happened as a member.

I disagree with those that argue the UK have beaten the EU on this.....we need to remember the EU has exported over 50 million vaccines and have jabbed 50 million of its citizens.

The EU is a world leader in vaccine manufacture and it has a number of factories setting up, these aren't far from coming on stream, so this "Brexit benefit" will be short lived

Last edited:
Brexit benefits are largely emotive and illusory so far. However, this thread is a prime example of why so many of the active woodworkers who used to contribute regularly to the woodwork aspects of this site, now post almost entirely elsewhere. I realise that the thread is in the coffee room, but of you browse the forum using "what's new" there are relatively few active woodwork threads and this kind of material dominates activity, or at least it seems that way. It's a shame.

He tried and got seriously dumped, definitely a wannabe politician because the explanation given was it's a paper exercise ;)
Funny how people don't understand the "paper candidate" thing. Lots of them around and other parties do it too.
The idea is to have a candidate in every ward/constituency including those with no chance of being won, basically just to show a presence and to test the water.
They wouldn't have chosen me if there had been any chance of winning, nor would I have volunteered! But it was interesting though - I had to go out door knocking etc. I got a few votes - more than some other paper candidates. All part of life's rich pattern! I'd do it again if asked.

Brexit benefits are largely emotive and illusory so far. However, this thread is a prime example of why so many of the active woodworkers who used to contribute regularly to the woodwork aspects of this site, now post almost entirely elsewhere. I realise that the thread is in the coffee room, but of you browse the forum using "what's new" there are relatively few active woodwork threads and this kind of material dominates activity, or at least it seems that way. It's a shame.
If you check the figures at the bottom of the Board Index page on various fora you will see that this one is flourishing compared to the others. The "new posts" compare well also.

Jacob posted about the difficulties of sending a parcel to the Channel Islands. He was asked to supply “passport numbers for me and the recipient and all sorts of other details“. The documentation with the form also said it was the “new post Brexit form”.

It is not unreasonable to assume that this form was due to Brexit, not everyone is up to speed on the relationship between the Channel Islands special territories EU status and how this has changed with brexit and it’s implications on trade.

He is not alone in having this problem, here is a link and in the comments someone in France is saying it applies to all shipments to the UK
https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Sel...rm-requesting-national-ID-number/td-p/6768544
Jacob cancelled the order on the basis of the hassle involved. He was criticised for this, but surely sending your passport details along with your name and address to someone you do not know is very risky, could set you up for a sophisticated scam or be used for some illegal activity. Similar for the recipient sending their details to you. I would not send my passport details in these circumstances.

It would appear that Jacob was sent the wrong form, some countries do require these types of details such as South Africa, Brazil, Argentina and Saudi Arabia.

Quite what vaccines, nhs, Northern Ireland, terrorism, coronavirus, etc has to do with a customs form for the Channel Islands I am not sure. Off topic of an off topic. Certainly anyone wanting to find out the issues relating to sending goods to the Channel Islands would struggle finding it amongst this lot.

Meanwhile N Ireland into it's 7th night of rioting. NI Protocol/Brexit/Irish Sea border and a couple of local issues

This is really bad.

It's Ironic really....leaving the SM and CU was sold as the "opportunity to make great deals around the world"......and yet so far every single trade deal has been an EU roll over deal.....zero new opportunity, but a border between GB and NI.

Quite what vaccines, nhs, Northern Ireland, terrorism, coronavirus, etc has to do with a customs form for the Channel Islands I am not sure. Off topic of an off topic. Certainly anyone wanting to find out the issues relating to sending goods to the Channel Islands would struggle finding it amongst this lot

That is the nature of conversation.

Jacob posted about the difficulties of sending a parcel to the Channel Islands. He was asked to supply “passport numbers for me and the recipient and all sorts of other details“. The documentation with the form also said it was the “new post Brexit form”.

It is not unreasonable to assume that this form was due to Brexit, not everyone is up to speed on the relationship between the Channel Islands special territories EU status and how this has changed with brexit and it’s implications on trade.

He is not alone in having this problem, here is a link and in the comments someone in France is saying it applies to all shipments to the UK
https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Sel...rm-requesting-national-ID-number/td-p/6768544
Jacob cancelled the order on the basis of the hassle involved. He was criticised for this, but surely sending your passport details along with your name and address to someone you do not know is very risky, could set you up for a sophisticated scam or be used for some illegal activity. Similar for the recipient sending their details to you. I would not send my passport details in these circumstances.

It would appear that Jacob was sent the wrong form, some countries do require these types of details such as South Africa, Brazil, Argentina and Saudi Arabia.

Quite what vaccines, nhs, Northern Ireland, terrorism, coronavirus, etc has to do with a customs form for the Channel Islands I am not sure. Off topic of an off topic. Certainly anyone wanting to find out the issues relating to sending goods to the Channel Islands would struggle finding it amongst this lot.

Jacob, wanted to start a brexit thread ................. full stop.

The EU is a world leader in vaccine manufacture and it has a number of factories setting up, these aren't far from coming on stream, so this "Brexit benefit" will be short lived

Not really. The fast vaccine rollout has saved thousands of lives, 5, 10, 20, 30 years extra with a loved one isn't a short lived benefit. And there are probably tens of thousands of families in that position because of Brexit.

And to say the EU has exported 50M vaccines isn't really true. The EU do not own these vaccines. Companies have exported the vaccines. There is a reason the EU haven't banned exports fully and that's because they'd be essentially stealing them and the damage to the EU's reputation would last for a generation. Every country who relies on the EU for essential products and services will move them back home.

Not really. The fast vaccine rollout has saved thousands of lives, 5, 10, 20, 30 years extra with a loved one isn't a short lived benefit. And there are probably tens of thousands of families in that position because of Brexit.
we have a government that won power due to brexit, its a government built on its ability for spin not governance a government that by any metric has one of the worst performing covid record for both death rate and economic damage globally.

sure the vaccine rollout was somewhat ahead, but the EU nations will catch up rapidly in the summer.

and to be clear: over 10 million of the vaccines we have had in the UK came from Europe

Pfizer vaccine is made in Europe

Astra Zenica is a half European company.

Not really. The fast vaccine rollout has saved thousands of lives
that is not true -thee is a finite number of vaccines, how can it have saved lives?

you mean English lives have been saved at the expense of European lives

you mean English lives have been saved at the expense of European lives

If we are using that theory the EU should be exporting every vaccine they have as many countries have lower vaccination rates. That isn't what they are planning though.

From Europe, not from the EU.

Made in Europe, not by the EU.

Half based in Europe, not owned by the EU.

And without those companies in the EU supplying the vaccine to the UK, we wouldn't have been able to vaccinate the number of people that we have.

If we are using that theory the EU should be exporting every vaccine they have as many countries have lower vaccination rates. That isn't what they are planning though.
No, if we use your argument that vaccines are saving lives, then either it's a life saved in UK or in Europe.

Every life "saved" is at the expense of someone else's be that vaccine or lockdown.
It's lucky for then that the EU have allowed exports of the vaccine at the expense of their own people.

How many vaccines has the USA exported?

And without those companies in the EU supplying the vaccine to the UK, we wouldn't have been able to vaccinate the number of people that we have.
That is true. I'm not sure we can give the EU credit for that or say the EU are exporting them though. That's private companies and citizens who are developing, making, bottling and distributing the vaccine. They are in the EU, yes but we don't give the British government credit for everything the UK makes and distributes.

Sure, the EU can make laws to block the vaccine being exported but that doesn't make the vaccines made in the EU theirs, they will still belong to companies making them rather than the EU. I guess they could try pass laws to take them from the companies by force because they need them but then again any thief could claim they needed the things they take.

The EU could have legally negotiated these vaccines like the UK did but their own incompetence prevented that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back