Customs declarations and brexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how when something good happens, nothing to do with Brexit, we could have done that all along. But when something bad happens, BREXIT BREXIT BREXIT look how awful it is.

Strange cognitive dissonance there.

First tangible benefit is that we haven't been forced to join the Euro. There is no doubt in my mind if we had voted remain we would have been forced to join the Euro project.
We weren't in the euro and they couldn't force us, so that isn't a benefit of any sort
Second tangible benefit is that we have no responsibility for the huge amounts of money the EU have borrowed on the pretence of a covid recovery fund but in truth is to prop up some of their failed economies just so they can continue paying interest on the bail out loans that have been given over many years and have no chance of ever being able to pay off.
Not a "tangible" benefit unless you can put figures to it and draw up a balance sheet, a very complicated cost/benefit analysis, future projections etc. Both these are entirely hypothetical and were we still in we would have influence on the outcome.
I mean real benefits, such as a trade suddenly discovering an advantage, like the opposite of the fishing industry and so many others who have hit problems. Where are all the world-wide trade deals we were promised?

Funny how when something good happens, nothing to do with Brexit, we could have done that all along. But when something bad happens, BREXIT BREXIT BREXIT look how awful it is.

Strange cognitive dissonance there.
Cognitive dawning of reality
We are all waiting for you to point out a benefit, other than arguing about the vaccine rollout which is neither here nor there, but the ONLY supposed example of a benefit anybody has offered.
Fact is there are no benefits at all, not even anything in the pipe line. It's all hypothetical hot air, just as it has been for 5 years.
It's worse than even the worst remoaners expected. Brexiters are slowly realising this - I know it's a bit of a shock!
Beam me up Scotty!

Last edited:
Your definately back then Jacoob?
Jezza had the same issue, couldn't decide whether to leave or stay and in the end didn't do either, good to see you can do a U turn.
You know you're doing a Roger?

Cognitive dawning of reality
We are all waiting for you to point out a benefit, other than arguing about the vaccine rollout which is neither here nor there, but the ONLY supposed example of a benefit anybody has offered.
Fact is there are no benefits at all, not even anything in the pipe line. It's all hypothetical hot air, just as it has been for 5 years.
It's worse than even the worst remoaners expected. Brexiters are slowly realising this - I know it's a bit of a shock!
Beam me up Scotty!

I've found a benefit, it's perfectly tangible, and best of all totally down to Brexit, no way we could have achieved it while still in the EU.

We have given you one bone fide, 24k gold, mint condition dead horse to flog. You can go on about it for years, until you meet your demise in fact, it will never disappear and you will never tire of flogging it. It will bring you such joy in your remaining years that thinking about you passing on and having to give it up brings a little tear to my eye.
Rest assured though, when you are nothing but worm food I will still think fondly of you and when something Brexit related comes up on the VR news injected directly into my brain, as it will be in the future, I will turn to the missus and say with a little lump in my throat, "Jacob would have bloody loved moaning about this".

And she will say....

"Who?"

We weren't in the euro and they couldn't force us, so that isn't a benefit of any sortNot a "tangible" benefit unless you can put figures to it and draw up a balance sheet, a very complicated cost/benefit analysis, future projections etc. Both these are entirely hypothetical and were we still in we would have influence on the outcome.
I mean real benefits, such as a trade suddenly discovering an advantage, like the opposite of the fishing industry and so many others who have hit problems. Where are all the world-wide trade deals we were promised?

The EU have not been shy in stating their ultimate aim and that would not be possible unless all members had a joint currency.

The EU have not been shy in stating their ultimate aim and that would not be possible unless all members had a joint currency.
But we could leave if we couldn't agree on the Euro, or anything else.
There you go I've come up with the single valid benefit of brexit - it demonstrates to all those doubting Thomases than we can leave if we want to - we haven't lost "sovereignty"or been taken over against our will!
I keep trying to get out of this thread, can I go now? :)

Last edited:
I do wonder if any Brexit voter ever really believed that the benefits to the UK would appear overnight? Me? I did not vote for Brexit because I believed we would be joyriding rainbows the next day. I voted for Brexit because it was how I would have voted had John Major not betrayed the country and refused a referendum on the Maastricht Treaty back in 1992. If he had done so then, the country would have said no to joining (Major knew this, which is why he refused it) and we would have moved from the EEC (which I fully approved of) to an EEA trade agreement with the EU, similar to Norway, et al. Where we would still be now. But no, such a thing would not provide UK politicians with the gravy train they desired, or the 'legacy' they felt they were entitled to (very amusing that Major's legacy is more about his shagging Edwina Curry than about taking the UK into the EU). So, Brexit was my vote from 1992. Okay, so I hold a grudge. But, in my defence, I never watched or listened to any of the campaign garbage from either side. Life is too short for that rubbish and, anyway, what was the point of the promises being made or of Project Fear when no negotiations had even been started? Post-Brexit, I will admit to holding a lingering fantasy which was to go to London, steal a big red bus and run down that . who stood there every day shouting 'Stop Brexit'. Then reverse and repeat a few times just to make sure.

So, having been out for 5 minutes and seen our economy smashed by a pandemic that was so badly handled by our Government (I refer back to what I think will happen at the next GE: incompetent dinosaurs out, incompetent dinosaurs in) we now have the equivalent of the Westminster gob (no offence intended, Jacob, I am not thinking specifically of you) screaming at us to 'name one benefit of Brexit' as if Brexit was a gameshow. Admittedly, it is the only string Europhiles have left in their bow, but (IMHO) it is too early to demand tangible evidence of anything. Come back and ask again in 10 years when we will have been through a half-decent economic cycle and will have some data to measure against. Even better, wait 40 years and, if you are still unhappy, fight for a referendum. You will get one. Politicians just love gravy trains (a lot more than they give a dung about their country, it seems). Anyhow, just my tuppence worth. I will say no more on this thread.

PS: I turned my first bowl today, made from green ash and dried in a dehydrator before finishing. I am very happy.

Post-Brexit, I will admit to holding a lingering fantasy which was to go to London, steal a big red bus and run down that . who stood there every day shouting 'Stop Brexit'. Then reverse and repeat a few times just to make sure.

To be fair I think even the most ardent remainers hated that guy shouting over every interview and news report for 3 years. Possibly the only think brexiteers and remainers can agree on.

I do wonder if any Brexit voter ever really believed that the benefits to the UK would appear overnight? ......
5 years of negotiations, not to mention promises. Another 5 years?

5 years of negotiations, not to mention promises. Another 5 years?

Hello again, not very good at this are you. 🤣 🤣 How come you can stick with replying but not form filling?

I do wonder if any Brexit voter ever really believed that the benefits to the UK would appear overnight? Me? I did not vote for Brexit because I believed we would be joyriding rainbows the next day. I voted for Brexit because it was how I would have voted had John Major not betrayed the country and refused a referendum on the Maastricht Treaty back in 1992. If he had done so then, the country would have said no to joining (Major knew this, which is why he refused it) and we would have moved from the EEC (which I fully approved of) to an EEA trade agreement with the EU, similar to Norway, et al. Where we would still be now. But no, such a thing would not provide UK politicians with the gravy train they desired, or the 'legacy' they felt they were entitled to (very amusing that Major's legacy is more about his shagging Edwina Curry than about taking the UK into the EU). So, Brexit was my vote from 1992. Okay, so I hold a grudge. But, in my defence, I never watched or listened to any of the campaign garbage from either side. Life is too short for that rubbish and, anyway, what was the point of the promises being made or of Project Fear when no negotiations had even been started? Post-Brexit, I will admit to holding a lingering fantasy which was to go to London, steal a big red bus and run down that . who stood there every day shouting 'Stop Brexit'. Then reverse and repeat a few times just to make sure.

So, having been out for 5 minutes and seen our economy smashed by a pandemic that was so badly handled by our Government (I refer back to what I think will happen at the next GE: incompetent dinosaurs out, incompetent dinosaurs in) we now have the equivalent of the Westminster gob (no offence intended, Jacob, I am not thinking specifically of you) screaming at us to 'name one benefit of Brexit' as if Brexit was a gameshow. Admittedly, it is the only string Europhiles have left in their bow, but (IMHO) it is too early to demand tangible evidence of anything. Come back and ask again in 10 years when we will have been through a half-decent economic cycle and will have some data to measure against. Even better, wait 40 years and, if you are still unhappy, fight for a referendum. You will get one. Politicians just love gravy trains (a lot more than they give a dung about their country, it seems). Anyhow, just my tuppence worth. I will say no more on this thread.

PS: I turned my first bowl today, made from green ash and dried in a dehydrator before finishing. I am very happy.

Alan, did you (or any similar thinking friends) give any consideration or thought to N Ireland, GFA, cross border cooperation, GB NI trade etc when voting for Brexit? Was it on anybody’s radar?

PS- well done on the bowl.

I've found a benefit, it's perfectly tangible, and best of all totally down to Brexit, no way we could have achieved it while still in the EU.

We have given you one bone fide, 24k gold, mint condition dead horse to flog. You can go on about it for years, until you meet your demise in fact, it will never disappear and you will never tire of flogging it. It will bring you such joy in your remaining years that thinking about you passing on and having to give it up brings a little tear to my eye.
Rest assured though, when you are nothing but worm food I will still think fondly of you and when something Brexit related comes up on the VR news injected directly into my brain, as it will be in the future, I will turn to the missus and say with a little lump in my throat, "Jacob would have bloody loved moaning about this".

And she will say....

"Who?"
What a hideous post.

Alan, did you (or any similar thinking friends) give any consideration or thought to N Ireland, GFA, cross border cooperation, GB NI trade etc when voting for Brexit? Was it on anybody’s radar?

As you are asking Alan and similar, I assume you think all remainers voted to remain because of heavy consideration of the NI/GFA/etc.
I know your not thick, so I think we can agree that can't be the case.
Therefore a lot of remainers will have voted without giving Ireland a thought. But they are OK because they voted for what you wanted. So logically you are just pineappled because we voted against what you wanted, not that NI was or wasn't considered.

Last edited:
Politicians just love gravy trains
The real purpose of Brexit: vested self interest by a disparate group with a single goal: make money.

If you want to know about the gravy train behind Brexit, do a bit of research on Tufton street network....it's where Brexit so called thinks tanks, right wing libertarian groups, private healthcare interests, fossil fuel interests, climate change deniers, vote Leave campaigners, hedge fund managers, disaster capitalists.....are all connected.

https://www.desmog.co.uk/2020/02/13...government-and-tufton-street-lobbying-network
http://www.brexitshambles.com/brexit-scam-we-need-to-talk-about-tufton-street/

The truth behind Brexit is found by following the money.

I'm no fan of the EU, it has deep rooted structural problems....I wouldn't have minded if Brexit had been enabled for honest reasons, but it hasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back