Couple of questions re: jointing and grooving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":2yz0qki1 said:
Then I can only reiterate my advice. For such small doors a stub tenon is more than adequate.
So if you want your doors to finish at 25mm, start with 1 1/4" stock. Rout a groove 6mm wide, 7mm from the back, 15mm deep. Cut tenons to match. That will then leave you 12mm at the front to fill with your mouldings, say 8mm.
It will give you the door you are looking for.
Personally I wouldn't thickness 1" stuff down to 6mm, it's too wasteful, but if you resaw it first you should get two panels at, say 10mm which you can then thickness to the groove. I don't think it's very likely you will get 3x 8mm panels out of a 1" board.
Cheers
Steve

I think this is the answer. If I then choose to make the panels thicker (than 6mm) I just need a bigger groover, which are cheap as they fit onto an arbour, right?

Thanks Steve. =D>

Ps what is PVR? I know PVA is Poly Vinyl Acetate!! :D

I forgot to add - the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to machine a plain raised and fielded panel (without any moulded profiles) is over a table saw, with a jig or two.
But unless you have a lot to do hand planing is more practical.

Back