Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up in the middle of the night absolutely drenched in sweat and coughing like there was no tomorrow, All I thought was "I've got no time to die now, I've got X and Y to do tomorrow."

I got up again four hours later and was completely fine. I think the cure for the Coronavirus may just be being busy.

On the plus side of the Coronavirus my much younger wife has encouraged me to go to the pub as often as I like & to start enjoying life as much as I can, I took a positive move for me to enjoy my twilight years until I realised she’d a taken out a rather large insurance policy on me :-k :-k

There seems to be two fundamentally different approaches.

The first as implemeted by China, Italy and much of the rest of Europe is to minimise the immediate impacts by shutting down pretty much all except essential activity. Includes travel, shops, schools, cinema, theatres, sports events, etc.

This gives an immediate practical and political benefit. No social interaction (bar essential services) means that virus transmission is much reduced. But it is unclear what happens when the controls are relaxed - is it over, or do the infections start rising again.

The UK response is based upon acceptance that there is no vaccine or effective treatment at present. So the objective is to flatten the peak to minimise stress on NHS (although it will still struggle to cope), move the peak to the summer when virus transmission is expected to fall, and build up to some herd immunity.

Which approach is right I don't know. I'm inclined to back the UK approach as it seems to be objectively based on quality science and analysis, and not the product (at least in part) of political expediency and game playing.

In a few months we will know!

Trainee neophyte":16lhbxho said:
Just a thought - is anyone else convinced they are coming down with a cold/influenza/coronanvirus/cancer every morning?

Or is it just me?

Hang on, I'll let you know once I've got the Night Nurse off me.

MikeG.":1212ider said:
My daughter runs a language school in Spain. They've just been told to close for a fortnight. That'll be a Spanish fortnight because Easter is only a week after the end date of that closure, which means it will be 5 weeks minimum before they're open again. She's getting her staff together to sort out online lessons, starting Monday.

I believe it was decided in the COBRA meeting, but not announced yet, that our schools will close next Friday, the week before Easter.

Patrick Vallance is a distant relative of mine and that has come down the family grapevine.

Oh dear. More hearsay nonsense!!!!!
Ha ha government policy surfaces on woodworking forum ... brilliant =D>

Jake":2bww9a9t said:
John Brown":2bww9a9t said:
Exponentially is an abused word.
The money in my bank account grows exponentially, but at 0.01% or whatever it is right now, it's not alarming me.

That's compounded growth, not exponential growth. If your money grew exponentially, you'd be much richer than Bill Gates.

Look up grains of rice and chessboards!
I don't need to, thanks. I'm 67, I first saw the grains of rice and chessboard thing about 64 years ago(by a strange coincidence), and it's a bit boring by now. Having worked with binary stuff for over 40 years, I have an idea of what 2^64 looks like.
I think you'll find I'm right, if you care to do a bit of research. Compound interest is an example of exponential growth.

That would work":3a26iri1 said:
Oh dear. More hearsay nonsense!!!!!
Ha ha government policy surfaces on woodworking forum ... brilliant =D>

Time will tell...

Yep.... after doubling on a chessboard by the time you reach squre 64 you need a very very very long piece of paper to write the number :shock: :shock: :shock:

We work in a lot of food factories and a couple have already said they're having none of us disease ridden contractor scum on site for the next two weeks. I'm ordering paint for my lathe restoration so I've got something to do if I can't work! :lol: Here's hoping!

Greece has announced a lot of closures - pretty much anything that isn't a supermarket. Current worry is that, because all hair salons are closed, everyone is going to have to show their natural hair colour.
Health Ministry representative Sotiris Tsiodras on Friday announced new measures to curb the spread of coronavirus, saying that all malls, cafes, bars and food outlets to close though supermarkets are to remain open.

Food outlets offering home delivery service will be able to continue those, he said.

The measures came a few hours after the Culture Ministry announced that all museums and archaeological sites will close down for two weeks.

Meanwhile the number of cases of coronavirus in Greece has risen to 190.

A friend sent a message yesterday saying that her friend, who is in the Greek government, has recommended on the qt to stock up on food, as they are expecting a stock market /banking crisis, and "there will be shortages". This could be true, it could be paranoid panic mongering, or somewhere in between. It does appear that while the virus is not an issue for the majority of people, the economic fallout from all of this will be cataclysmic, and is only just starting to show. If I had any money in the bank, I would be taking it out now, and burying it in a can in the garden. Luckily, I have given all my money to Axminster Tools, so that's ok. Tools will be worth more than money soon, anyway.

Trainee neophyte":17my9tuc said:
A friend sent a message yesterday saying that her friend, who is in the Greek government, has recommended on the qt to stock up on food, as they are expecting a stock market /banking crisis, and "there will be shortages". This could be true, it could be paranoid panic mongering, or somewhere in between. It does appear that while the virus is not an issue for the majority of people, the economic fallout from all of this will be cataclysmic, and is only just starting to show.
Assuming that's true, would it be fair to say that a country that continued working throughout the crisis with limited regard for the health of its most vulnerable people could emerge at the end of the crisis with an economic advantage over its competitors? Just wondering.

Chris152":3h7nbl13 said:
Trainee neophyte":3h7nbl13 said:
A friend sent a message yesterday saying that her friend, who is in the Greek government, has recommended on the qt to stock up on food, as they are expecting a stock market /banking crisis, and "there will be shortages". This could be true, it could be paranoid panic mongering, or somewhere in between. It does appear that while the virus is not an issue for the majority of people, the economic fallout from all of this will be cataclysmic, and is only just starting to show.
Assuming that's true, would it be fair to say that a country that continued working throughout the crisis with limited regard for the health of its most vulnerable people could emerge at the end of the crisis with an economic advantage over its competitors? Just wondering.
Most European countries have a demographic problem - too many old people sucking resources and not producing. Any country that reduces it's pension liability will be better off financially. Whether that is a moral decision is another question. I imagine that if the average age of fatalities was 25, rather than 75 or whatever it is, different decisions would be made.

Trainee neophyte":2hnazoot said:
It does appear that while the virus is not an issue for the majority of people, the economic fallout from all of this will be cataclysmic ...
But "every cloud", "it's an ill wind" etc. The biggest factory in my local town has added extra shifts and increased production as a result of all this. What do they make? Toilet rolls. I can't understand why this is the commodity so many people panic buy but it is certainly helping my local economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back