Computer confusion....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a last ditch effort you could always turn on mobile hotspot using your mobile phone data and connect the tablet or laptop to that instead of your regular internet. Although highly unlikely it could be something your ISP has set as a safety feature which is clashing with the page. Just eliminate as many variables as possible and sadly it looks like your internet connection is the only remaining one that you could do anything about.

As a last ditch effort you could always turn on mobile hotspot using your mobile phone data and connect the tablet or laptop to that instead of your regular internet. Although highly unlikely it could be something your ISP has set as a safety feature which is clashing with the page. Just eliminate as many variables as possible and sadly it looks like your internet connection is the only remaining one that you could do anything about.

I'll pretend to know exactly what you're talking about, graham88, but regret to tell you that I don't possess a mobile phone! But thank you anyway!

I'll pretend to know exactly what you're talking about, graham88, but regret to tell you that I don't possess a mobile phone! But thank you anyway!
Very last ditch then. Never mind, hope you get somewhere with it anyway.

If you want to travel further down a rabbit hole press F12 (for developer tools) on your laptop when in the browser. Then try and view the page. Various tabs at the top wil tell you information. On a good web page the console tab will have no Red lines, if they do it is an error. The trouble with this is that almost every page has an issue, this particular pagee has 3 but it still displays fine (I'm guessing with the CORS erros it is an advert problem), and working out what the actual problem is can take a long time. I'm no expert and have spent many an hour on goole trying to work out what an error means. Start with the network tab, this shows what has loaded, and more importantly what hasn't. Then the page inspector tab, where you can click on individual parts of the page and see where in the code they are loaded. Warning, only do this if it really bothers you.

If you want to travel further down a rabbit hole press F12 (for developer tools) on your laptop when in the browser. Then try and view the page. Various tabs at the top wil tell you information. On a good web page the console tab will have no Red lines, if they do it is an error. The trouble with this is that almost every page has an issue, this particular pagee has 3 but it still displays fine (I'm guessing with the CORS erros it is an advert problem), and working out what the actual problem is can take a long time. I'm no expert and have spent many an hour on goole trying to work out what an error means. Start with the network tab, this shows what has loaded, and more importantly what hasn't. Then the page inspector tab, where you can click on individual parts of the page and see where in the code they are loaded. Warning, only do this if it really bothers you.

Ah yes, done similar with wistia and vimeo jobs over the years, but hotmart's product is a different ball game. If you google "can I/how to save/download/copy hotmart..." type questions, you'll soon find a plethora of answers, none of which seem to work!

I've given up in this case, and have suggested to the course provider that he does the same. My hope is that the rest of the course is trouble-free.
We shall see!

I think I've already done it, but in case I missed anyone....

Thanks for all the suggestions!
There really are some superb people on this forum... Cheers.

Just to finish off, the course originator has apologised that he/they can't be of any more help, other than having set me up with a new account. It's not a problem they've come across before, and I suppose he's suggesting that there's nothing wrong with his video. Both Hotmart and Teachable platforms have washed their hands of the affair pretty quickly, pointing back to the originator.
So I'm none the wiser. If the problem's at "my end", I'm intrigued why it doesn't happen to the numerous other videos I've got. I've looked at codecs, screen resolutions, even if javascript was somehow playing some weird part in it...but no. I've tried different - and newly installed - browsers, and even a tablet instead of the laptop.

It's not often I give up on anything computer-wise - granted, usually with a fair amount of assistance from elsewhere! - but this has beaten me!

I give up!

Before you throw in the towel.
Try to temporarily disable your firewall, Windows will have one and your modem will have one too.
If this works you'll need to get back to whomever is responsible to get some port numbers which you'll need to open in the offending firewall.
I'll assist you further should you need it.

Edit:
As you've tried using a tablet just focus on your modem you'll need to login to it, the details will be on a sticker underneath probably.

Before you throw in the towel.
Try to temporarily disable your firewall, Windows will have one and your modem will have one too.
If this works you'll need to get back to whomever is responsible to get some port numbers which you'll need to open in the offending firewall.
I'll assist you further should you need it.

Edit:
As you've tried using a tablet just focus on your modem you'll need to login to it, the details will be on a sticker underneath probably.

Ta for the suggestion, but no.
I've truly given up on it.
Overall I've spent hours on trying to sort it, and remain convinced it's a problem with the original video rather than something at my end.
Unless the producer comes clean and admits that it's not solely me that suffers the problem, I've really nowhere else to go!

Having never heard of the site teachable I took a look and had no issues with accesing the site. It appears to be a platform for people to make money by selling "their knowledge" and the platform charges people a membership fee. If you cannot access a product on this platform then I would hold teachable to account, they host the product you wish to use and are charging the owner of this product to do so, therefore should take action to help resolve. If you just give up and walk away having paid for a service you are letting them keep your money but as the consumer you have rights.

Having never heard of the site teachable I took a look and had no issues with accesing the site. It appears to be a platform for people to make money by selling "their knowledge" and the platform charges people a membership fee. If you cannot access a product on this platform then I would hold teachable to account, they host the product you wish to use and are charging the owner of this product to do so, therefore should take action to help resolve. If you just give up and walk away having paid for a service you are letting them keep your money but as the consumer you have rights.

Yes, I take your point, but teachable's response was that (in their opinion) there was a problem with the course provider's original video. An outfit called "hotmart" are also involved somehow, but I gave up trying to figure out where/how...
The course provider can't recreate the/my problem, and claims no other user has experienced the same.
Communication eventually tailed off with a final "So sorry I wasn't able to help..."
So the three parties involved - four, if you include me! - can't figure it, and we all started going round in circles.

Life's too short. I've other things to worry about.
It did niggle me at the time - after all, it isn't a cheap course - but things move on.

(If you fancy having a crack at it, by the way, here you go!)
https://holistic-songwriting.teachable.com/p/by-the-end-of-this-course-you-ll-know-music-theory

When you read

1711630678129.png

to me alarm bells start ringing, just comes across as a money making scheme and read further

1711630899332.png

If everyone uses the same formula then you will get the same results allowing for some deviation, now possibly going by the fact that all the noise that eminates from the radio today all sounds like the same painful shiete then maybe he was extremely successful in his objective but I doubt it. This comes across as like owning the best wood chissel money can buy but without the skill to keep it sharp, in other words a journey without any destination.

I will give him top marks for being a card magician though, he is talking about credit and debit cards where he can make money vanish !

When you read

View attachment 178287

to me alarm bells start ringing, just comes across as a money making scheme and read further

View attachment 178288

If everyone uses the same formula then you will get the same results allowing for some deviation, now possibly going by the fact that all the noise that eminates from the radio today all sounds like the same painful shiete then maybe he was extremely successful in his objective but I doubt it. This comes across as like owning the best wood chissel money can buy but without the skill to keep it sharp, in other words a journey without any destination.

I will give him top marks for being a card magician though, he is talking about credit and debit cards where he can make money vanish !

He's actually well respected in the business, and certainly musically qualified!

Talking of online courses, I've just been trying to download a small presentation - not from the same source, by the way! - and achieved this "speed"! I know BT Internet's not all it's cracked up to be, but 34.02KB/s for a broadband connection?!

Talking of online courses, I've just been trying to download a small presentation - not from the same source, by the way! - and achieved this "speed"! I know BT Internet's not all it's cracked up to be, but 34.02KB/s for a broadband connection?!

Some sites will choke the download speed if you don't pay for a membership/subscription.

Back