Computer Advice for iMac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slinger

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not fully computer savvy, but I do use my mid 2007 iMac every day & it really is a help to me. I've suddenly developed a 'whirling dervish' coloured spinning wheel. It comes up frequently & on this site it has slowed up my scrolling down the page etc. I've got masses of memory left, I've got some 214GB left out of 320GB, so I assume this is not causing the problem. I've only got DDR 2 SDRAM. I've obviously read this info up so please do not give me really technical answers. How do I get rid of this infernal "Catherine Wheel". Many thanks to anyone that can help me in a simple way.
Slinger

Hi, I have a iMac and get the dreaded whirlybird wheel sometimes, try rebooting, switch off completely, restart after waiting for at least 30 seconds, or is it just your broadband slowing up, mine does.

Usual culprits are:

Loads of stuff running in the background
Recent operating system upgrade
Anti virus free downloads on Mac (dreadful)
Something you have recently downloaded

You need to tell us what operating system you are using and which browser and details of anything that has recently been installed on the computer.

There are lots of things to check but a basic starting point is necessary. Spinning wheel of death affects everyone sometimes. You re not alone!

It's an old mac going slow so do a clean-up (delete unwanted files especially big ones - application downloads, music, video) and/or install Adblock, which blocks ads (obviously) which waste a lot of your time downloading videos for ads, on this site particularly bad in my experience. And run disc utilities to repair discs etc.

Lots of nerdy details here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bQ6YgQY8Ac
Whatever you do DON'T download Mackeeper or any of the other free/paid-for clean-up apps, they are bad news apparently

PS 2007 is just a bit old - you may have a failing hard drive. They all fail eventually even on a mac.

What the others have said but also.

Don't confuse hard disk space ( I've got masses of memory left, I've got some 214GB left out of 320GB, ) with RAM. Enough RAM is much more important (most of the time).

Go into either your Utilities folder or Applications folder and find Activity Monitor. Fire it up and first of all go to Window > CPU Usage. You should see a wee little box appear with bars in it. When you have the 'Spinning Beachball of Death" have a look at those bars...have they nearly filled the column? Let us know.

In the main Activity Monitor window select CPU...that will list a whole load of things. Click on the column %CPU (or similarly named...Apple tend to change the name from time to time). That should sort those list of things depending on how much CPU they are using. When you get the Beachball, you should see a few items right at the top that are consuming all those CPU cycles. Again, let us know the name of the item. You may also see some items in red. Again, let us know the name.

Next, select Memory. Right down at the bottom is a table saying things like

Go up to your Apple logo top LH corner and click on it. Click on About This Mac and tell us what the numbers are underneath the OS X. Version what? How much Memory do you have (says it lower down) ? There will be labels like System, User etc. Take a screenshot of that area and post it on the forum.

How to take a screenshot of only a certain area? Easy. Go to Preview > Take Screen Shot > From Selection.

From the OP:-
Slinger":13br1eli said:
... I've only got DDR 2 SDRAM...
This is almost certainly the source of the problem, though why it's only just started happening could be caused by many things. Depending on the exact model of iMac the RAM can probably be upgraded, which will help; if you put your iMac model into this web page it'll tell you what's available. There are lots of other suppliers, of course, but I've never had any issues with Crucial RAM and SSDs.

In the short term, you probably need to reduce the amount of work your iMac is doing with its RAM - try quitting any apps that you're not actively using, reduce the number of open tabs in any browser, etc.. etc..

As said above, it may help if you posted some details from 'about this iMac'.

HTH Pete

I've just upgraded my mid 2009 MacBook Pro - 8Gb Crucial RAM cost me £42
Very easy to install

Rod

Harbo":ynnddhc4 said:
I've just upgraded my mid 2009 MacBook Pro - 8Gb Crucial RAM cost me £42
Very easy to install

Rod

Certainly is! I recently did SWMBO's elderly iMac and also my even more geriatric MacBook. Crucial make it so easy with their scanner program. I'm tempted to fit an SSD into my iMac or even one of those hybrid drives.

RogerS":ct64cw8f said:
Certainly is! I recently did SWMBO's elderly iMac and also my even more geriatric MacBook. Crucial make it so easy with their scanner program. I'm tempted to fit an SSD into my iMac or even one of those hybrid drives.
Don't even hesitate about an SSD - fitting one has totally transformed my elderly (2010) Macbook Pro, and SSD prices have really dropped this last year; only downside is that you'll never again be satisfied with a computer running a spinning hard drive...

Pete

We have both a 2010 MacBook Pro and a 21 1/2 iMac and both upgraded with Crucial memory to 8 gig and both fitted with hybrid drives. 1Tb in the MBP and 2Tb in the iMac and they are both running well. I would recommend the memory upgrade before anything else. It makes a hell of a difference. MBP is running 10.11.2 El Capitan and the iMac is on 10.10 Yosemite, but not for much longer.

The OP must still be on Snow Leopard or similar to be running with 2 gig of memory?

If it is running Snow L then I would definitely say to upgrade at least to Yosemite because SL is not supported now and there are no security fixes being issued for it. An upgrade to Yosemite will need at least 4 gig if I remember correctly? El Capitan definitely does.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my backups and if you do a clean install it will copy all of your data back onto the HDD for you. It's not free, but it does so much more than Time Machine.

Thanks everyone for the advice & tips, I am grateful. I will work (slowly) through the advice given & see if I can sort it out.
Thanks again.
Slinger

Macs often go on for many years but perhaps at eight years old it's time to consider getting a replacement? Having said that a new HD and some extra RAM could transform it!

woodpig":2ea5ixsq said:
Macs often go on for many years but perhaps at eight years old it's time to consider getting a replacement? Having said that a new HD and some extra RAM could transform it!
Wouldn't recommend a DIY iMac HD upgrade, personally, unless you're very comfortable being wrist-deep in electronics - it's a screen-out job, not for the faint hearted!

petermillard":3lm7wm7x said:
woodpig":3lm7wm7x said:
Wouldn't recommend a DIY iMac HD upgrade, personally, unless you're very comfortable being wrist-deep in electronics - it's a screen-out job, not for the faint hearted!

No of course. Having said he wasn't computer savy I wasn't suggesting he do the work himself. In fact I'm not sure I'd want to take my iMac apart although I did see a guy at work with an iMac in bits.

woodpig":sl0bn2gg said:

Unless it has a hardware problem then, for the average user, there is no need to replace the Mac.

Sorry, you've lost me. If it has a hardware problem surely it will need to be repaired (if economically viable) or replaced with another machine?

woodpig":2iso3iov said:
Sorry, you've lost me. If it has a hardware problem surely it will need to be repaired (if economically viable) or replaced with another machine?

Sorry I misunderstood you and thought you were referring to changing the Mac due to software performance issues rather than a hardware fault - with which I agree. :)

Back